Spin X)

My boy Rumble has picked up the spin trick really quickly, but then he'd do the watusi for chicken. :lol I'm genuinely quite impressed, as even my parents border collie didn't pick it up as quickly as Rumble. The trouble now is, because he's utterly food motivated, he thinks spinning around will get him whatever food I have, whether it's his or not. :offwall It's so adorable, bless his silly brain.

On a related note, I read that it's not advisable to teach greys "paw" for the same reason; they'll pretty much mawl you constantly for food! 

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'll try and catch him in the act tonight, which shouldn't be hard as he's happy to spin for his dinner :lol

Great stuff! I think it’s a good sign that he wants to eat after reading your other current post:thumbs-up

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

My Nate's most solid command is down and he now offers down regularly in hopes of getting whatever food the humans have.  Not as much fun to watch as your boy's spin!  I'm eager for the video.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I read that it's not advisable to teach greys "paw" for the same reason; they'll pretty much mawl you constantly for food! 

I taught Milo a version of "paw" for when he's visiting someone very frail or inaccessible because of medical equipment in his role of therapy dog.  He sits a respectful distance away and "waves hello."  This is a way for him to interact without touching, and it's a big hit with folks, who will wave back.  

He doesn't maul me to get treats, but he will when he's up on the sofa and wants more petting.  But he did that before he learned the trick.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

35 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

I taught Milo a version of "paw" for when he's visiting someone very frail or inaccessible because of medical equipment in his role of therapy dog.  He sits a respectful distance away and "waves hello."  This is a way for him to interact without touching, and it's a big hit with folks, who will wave back.  

He doesn't maul me to get treats, but he will when he's up on the sofa and wants more petting.  But he did that before he learned the trick.  :)  

That's so adorable! And so smart that he's able to tell when people are too fragile to approach. I've seen another grey on FB who is a therapy dog and they're so bright. Not that I'm trying to disrespect my grey, but he'll do it for food, not me :lol

48 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

He’s such a good boy! Maybe you could spend an hour with Buddy and teach him ‘stay’ :rolleyes:

I'd love him to learn to stay! The best I've gotten is "watch", which is powerless unless I'm holding treats XD 

Excellent spin, Rumble!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

And so smart that he's able to tell when people are too fragile to approach.

No, he does it on command, not on his own initiative.  And first he has to check under the patient's bed for any dropped food.  He has his priorities.

Nice twirl, Mr Rumble!  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

He’s so adorable!! My smartest dogs have all been Greyhounds. The retrievers don’t hold an intellectual candle to the Greys. As you say though, they don’t learn commands to please me. They do it when it pleases them. :lol