Time to replace our living room 8x10 carpet. Does anyone use a Ruggable carpet or mat? They are a big investment but they look to be totally non-slip/non-skid and washable. TIA!

eta, Right now, I'm looking primarily for suggestions for non-skid/non-slip area rugs :)

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We've got Ruggables.  One is a runner, 2.5x10, coming in from the deck door--heavily dog trafficked with South Carolina red clay to add to the decor.  Another is under the dining table, 8x10 I think.  There is another 5x7 in my bedroom.  They all respond really well to spot cleaning.  We've washed the runner and it was easy enough to do and came out clean and looking great.  It seems to help if you pretreat stains so I do that.  I washed the runner in our home washer.  I think I can get the 5X7 in the home washer as well but the 8X10 is likely to have to go to a commercial laundry with big machines.  The size of your home washer does impact whether you can actually wash the bigger rugs at home.

The larger rugs are a real PITA to put down and it is really best as 2 person job.  The rugs that I have a thinish fabric and they are placed on top of a textured plastic underlay that is "grippy".  You have to work to make sure you lay out the fabric evenly, straight, and wrinkle-free on the underlay.  It can take some work.  The underlay is smaller than the fabric and you do see a small but distinct ridge where the fabric extends over the underlay.  That ridge is made better or worse by how exactingly you've managed to center the underlay under the fabric. 

They are not soft, plush, cushy rugs.  However, I do think Ruggables has some styles that are more plush.   I do think that the underlay is likely a bit water/pee/barf proof and that is a nice feature with dogs and cats.

My verdict is that I like Ruggables for runners and smaller rugs.  I think I'll buy another to go under my sewing machine chair--the very unplushness means chairs will roll nicely on Ruggables. However, I think I'll end up spot cleaning the bigger rug and pulling out the carpet cleaner for it.  At that point, why go to the expense of the larger Ruggables? For big area rugs, I'll look for something cheaper and plan on spot cleaning and running the Bissell over it.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:31 AM, LBass said:

We've got Ruggables.  One is a runner, 2.5x10, coming in from the deck door--heavily dog trafficked with South Carolina red clay to add to the decor.  Another is under the dining table, 8x10 I think.  There is another 5x7 in my bedroom.  They all respond really well to spot cleaning.  We've washed the runner and it was easy enough to do and came out clean and looking great.  It seems to help if you pretreat stains so I do that.  I washed the runner in our home washer.  I think I can get the 5X7 in the home washer as well but the 8X10 is likely to have to go to a commercial laundry with big machines.  The size of your home washer does impact whether you can actually wash the bigger rugs at home.

The larger rugs are a real PITA to put down and it is really best as 2 person job.  The rugs that I have a thinish fabric and they are placed on top of a textured plastic underlay that is "grippy".  You have to work to make sure you lay out the fabric evenly, straight, and wrinkle-free on the underlay.  It can take some work.  The underlay is smaller than the fabric and you do see a small but distinct ridge where the fabric extends over the underlay.  That ridge is made better or worse by how exactingly you've managed to center the underlay under the fabric. 

They are not soft, plush, cushy rugs.  However, I do think Ruggables has some styles that are more plush.   I do think that the underlay is likely a bit water/pee/barf proof and that is a nice feature with dogs and cats.

My verdict is that I like Ruggables for runners and smaller rugs.  I think I'll buy another to go under my sewing machine chair--the very unplushness means chairs will roll nicely on Ruggables. However, I think I'll end up spot cleaning the bigger rug and pulling out the carpet cleaner for it.  At that point, why go to the expense of the larger Ruggables? For big area rugs, I'll look for something cheaper and plan on spot cleaning and running the Bissell over it.

Thank you Lucy! We would definitely need to use the laundromat for cleaning the bigger rugs, and I appreciate the tip on getting the Ruggable underlay just right. Their site does seem to offer "plain" and "cushy" type underlays, but we still need to give this some thought. :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I think the cushy underlays became available after I bought the rug for my bedroom--the place I'd rather enjoy having cushy. :lol 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I've been pleased with Flor carpet squares.  Tough, low profile, no pads needed (sorry, not cushy) and the adhesive circles that hold the squares together have surprised me by being so durable.  I have to be careful with rugs in the house because of my iffy balance.  I feel confident I'm not going to trip on the 8 x 19 in the living room and the runner by the dog door.  They are the only rugs I have in the house.  I got them after two major disasters in one week on my expensive 10x12 that was then in the living room (cranberry juice fail and Milo decided to nurse his bleeding leg on the rug when I was at work).  I can scrub the carpet tiles in place, or cut out one or more and put it/them in the washing machine or scrub them in the sink, and then replace it/them in the rug. 

They can be expensive, but always have sales.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I just use the power washer on accidents. Ivory dish detergent, a splash of ammonia and water mixture does a great job on both rugs and upholstered furniture. I've sorta given up on $$$ wool rugs. The thinner profile ploy blend rugs wash up nicely. I only use rugs in the winter months.

I have a Ruggable rug and the Flor carpet squares. Neither is cushy underfoot but both are easy to wash. The Ruggable looks really nice and our 5’ by 7’ rug fits easily in the front loaders we have here. This is the Ruggable rug we have. Because it’s so light in color, I wash it every couple of weeks to keep it looking clean. https://ruggable.com/products/gradasi-teal-quartz-rug?size=5x7

When the Flor carpet squares get dirty, I take them outside and use the pressure washer on them. They look great once they dry. 

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

We've used Flor squares off and on for many years, and have generally been happy with them.  They clean/wash very easily and, at least the low pile ones, stay looking really good through multiple washings.  They aren't cheap though, and can be a real investment if you want any of their really nice looking options.  I do like all the colors though!!  And the fact you can send them back to the company for recycling when you're done with them.

We currently have sisal rugs in the kitchen, which gets the most wear and most use as that's where we come inside all the time.  They have held up surpisingly well, though most of the dirt falls through to the floor.  It's pretty easy to just pick/roll up the rug and sweep/vacuum/mop underneath.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the comments. Those Flor squares may be considered for our next Camp, but for right now (knot much longer :goodluck ) it's just the living room carpet that needs to be replaced with something *non-skid* for the campers :)

Dash & Albert makes polypropylene rugs that are not just washable, but bleachable, too.  I literally lay them out on the driveway, hose them down and gently scrub with a little dish detergent and bleach.  

They are casual styles, come in lots of sizes, and are not too expensive.  I have had several and will buy another when I have to replace the one in my living room.  Some are more loosely woven than others and if your dogs scratch at rugs, the fibers will pull.  The more flat woven ones don't seem to do that.  I use a good rug pad under them, so even though the rugs aren't cushy, the pads make them more comfortable.  

i just picked up this https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/calvin-klein-ck001-river-flow-rfv02-teal-ivory-blue-area-rug?variant=39298713518280   at home goods for 59 bucks! i'll wash it at the end of the season and either store it or use it in another room. it's currently in the living room. at home good's price point, why spend a ton on a washable rug? i also get bored very easily- so change and rotation are always very good for me.