New Adoptee Getting Less Cooperative

I adopted my boy in July 2020, aged 6. When I first got him he'd let me scale his teeth, clip his nails, brush his teeth. After about a month, he decided he didn't want his nails clipped, teeth scaled and barely tolerated the tooth brushing.  I bought a Dremel and gradually acclimated him to that using peanut butter in a Kong to distract him. That worked well for several months, now he growls when licking the Kong if I try to Dremel his nails. So, in spite of always being gentle with him, he still doesn't trust that he isn't going to be hurt. So, my question is how to proceed. Just taking him to a groomer seems like a cop out - I feel like he needs to trust me enough to bandage his foot or pull out a thorn if needed. Anyone been down this road before?

Going down it at the moment with Grace. I was using a nail grinder to do her nails and her corns until she decided that she didn't like that any more and would squeal and pull her foot back if I went anywhere near it. She only gets taken for her walks on grass or she wears boots because of her corns so her nails were getting very long. She has a check up every 3 months and nail clipping is included in her vet care plan so I asked them to do it. She ended up being sedated because she objected that much she was getting very stressed out.

This week it was time for her check up and as it's 9 months since she last had her nails clipped she was booked in for sedation too. Luckily the vet who saw her this time is experienced with greyhounds and did it without sedating her although it was a two person job and I did hear one squeal while waiting in the car. Grace doesn't know it but she is booked in for monthly nail clipping sessions with that vet to get her desensitised. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Well, this is discouraging. I'm going to back up and see if I can use the peanut butter bribes to get him acclimated to having his feet touched. I've tried a muzzle and while it keeps him from biting, it totally freaks him out.

6 hours ago, Redbelly said:

Well, this is discouraging. I'm going to back up and see if I can use the peanut butter bribes to get him acclimated to having his feet touched. I've tried a muzzle and while it keeps him from biting, it totally freaks him out.

Discouraging yes but according to my vet not insurmountable. She has got dogs over the problem in the past and is confident she will do this time and as she's one of those no nonsense tell it how it is people I believe her.  Apparently one of the experienced nurses stands astride Grace, luckily she's a small greyhound, rubbing her tummy and keeping her distracted her while the vet clips her nails but without lifting her foot off the ground.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

This recent post from Tricia McConnell about The Bucket Game and specifically dremeling reminded me of your situation. Time, patience, listening are so important. You can do it!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

17 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

This recent post from Tricia McConnell about The Bucket Game and specifically dremeling reminded me of your situation. Time, patience, listening are so important. You can do it!

Yes. Thank you and I'm going to give it a go although I might not have enough treats or kibble:rotfl

• 1 month later...

OP here. I thought I'd follow up on my progress.  I found the post and video link from FiveRoooooers very helpful. I believe my dog was looking for assurance that he was still somewhat in control. When I'm having work done  at the dentist, he says, "raise your hand anytime you need a break". That possibility helps me a lot. Similarly, I needed to give my pup an exit if he was uncomfortable. What has been working is to let him lick frozen peanut rubber out of a Kong while I Dremel his nails. When he stops licking and looks at me, I stop and let him regain composure. I'm making it clear that he needs to cooperate to get the treat, but at the same time giving him an option to stop when it gets uncomfortable. Fingers crossed that it continues to work for us.

Wonderful!! Thank you for updating and keep up the totally great work :clap

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.