Not good with other dogs

Hi, just joined the forum.

We are based in the UK and have had our rescued ex racer greyhound for nearly 6 months ( he is our 7th rescue dog, but 1st greyhound ) he has been doing really well in the main, ie getting used to a house environment, meeting new people, and was really good around other dogs, unfortunately about 2 weeks ago when out for a walk another dog who was friendly but over enthusiastic  tried to jump on his back, initially our dog was ok but the next day he became quite aggressive to other dogs ( bark,snarl and lunging ) and has been so ever since, we have spoken to our behaviorist who feels he is now frightened of other dogs and so we are keeping a distance as much as possible from other dogs when out walking, but letting him see them, wearing high vis " give my dog space " tabards etc, has anyone else any experience of this and if so how long it may take for him to overcome this new fear.

Thanks for any advice.

Reg and Annie

It's a bit like asking how long a bit of string is. As you have discovered greyhounds are different to other dogs and take time to adjust to new experiences good or bad. In the three years since I adopted her, Grace is still is afraid of the sound of a football being kicked, I think the kennel lads used to play football at the racing kennels or the track kennels against the side of the buildings.

Are there any other greyhounds you meet on your walks you could introduce him to or walk with to be a calming influence? Before the Covid lockdowns I used to take Grace on organised greyhound walks, usually run by the nearest Greyhound Trust kennel, which was beneficial for her attitude to life. The last one we went on was at Lichfield and there was over 80 greyhounds walking around the parks. They are hoping the first one after lockdown will be on July 18th so fingers crossed.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time