Possible stroke in Hada the Podenco?

Hada, age 13, had an episode of vomiting all Wednesday night. Her afternoon dinner came up, followed by lots of foamy white puddles of vomit. She staggered when waking, head tilted, slightly disoriented.

Got her to the vet first thing Thursday morning and had to leave her as a work-in. All labwork was fine. Xray showed inflamed portion of her bowels. Given Serenia, subQ fluids, and ordered to eat chicken n rice. She has not vomited since but does do a little wretching. Last night she had 2 spells of rabidly licking the carpet. This has happened intermittently over the years. Usually a pepcid and/or GasX calms her down. Not last night, so I gave her some bits of chicken. Eventually she went back to sleep.

She continues to be wobbly, like a strong breeze is blowing her side to side. Her ears look okay and she isn't fussing with them. Her vision almost seems to be a bit off. Her personal quirkness in her daily routine is definitely off. There is no nystagmus, nor vestibular symptoms of circling like I've seen in another dog.

She is most wobbly in the morning. Usually she is demanding breakfast by 5:30am. Now she eats at 11am instead. It took some minced hot dog pieces with her chicken n rice to get her started.

Normally she is on Hills k/d canned. I'd thought this episode meant she was heading closer to kidney failure, but her labs were good. Over the course of the day she improves, but regresses in the morning

Talked with the vet Friday morning. Since she hadn't vomited again I didn't need to bring her in for more fluids. I am to check back on Monday.

I will doublecheck about her ears. What other questions should I ask my vet? An MRI would be out of the question for us, none locally. If it is a might stroke, shouldn't she gradually improve?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ducky, would an abdom U/S be helpful? 

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Something similar happened with Ivy (also 13) in December. I returned to find crate and dog covered in vomit. She was _very_ wobbly and disoriented. I cleaned her up (had to hold her) and took her to the vet. No nystagmus or circling. Blood work good. The vet suspected a seizure or mild stroke. 

Ivy's appetite (usually good) was off for a few days. The worst of the wobbliness resolved in the first hour, most of the rest eased in days. (The wobbliness due to a bad left hip was there before and after.) Her confidence increased. Basically, she's back to her wobbly and deteriorating 13 year old self. 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

5 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Ducky, would an abdom U/S be helpful? 

:grouphug

Vet didn't think so since the vomiting had stopped with the Serenia and has not returned, just tummy upset last night.

5 minutes ago, GreyPoopon said:

Something similar happened with Ivy (also 13) in December. I returned to find crate and dog covered in vomit. She was _very_ wobbly and disoriented. I cleaned her up (had to hold her) and took her to the vet. No nystagmus or circling. Blood work good. The vet suspected a seizure or mild stroke. 

Ivy's appetite (usually good) was off for a few days. The worst of the wobbliness resolved in the first hour, most of the rest eased in days. (The wobbliness due to a bad left hip was there before and after.) Her confidence increased. Basically, she's back to her wobbly and deteriorating 13 year old self. 

This sounds like what happened to Hada. This makes me hopeful of a similar outcome for my girl.

70959528_2455869571404799_64559410840894

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

34 minutes ago, LuvEarsies said:

UTI?   I know in older humans a UTI can make them, confused, nauseated, disoriented and impact their balance.

I'll ask about that.

tiny hada siggy.png

5 hours ago, GreyhndHomecare said:

Maybe a reaction to something she ingested?  I compiled a huge list of foods and ingredients that are toxic to greyhounds, but I included info about why each one is bad for a dog (it's all-breed friendly).  

https://greyhoundhomecare.com/what-foods-are-bad-for-my-greyhound/

Hope she's feeling better.

Gail

Not food related. No toxins used in the yard.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hada had a better night. She is interacting more this morning. Didn't want breakfast with the others but did eat an hour later. Had her first solid poop in days. Not quite as wobbly and it looks like she is concentrating on how she moves. I'd say she's about 70% back to her usual self.

tiny hada siggy.png

She probably doesn't want to eat because she's nauseous due ot her balance being off.  That's why the Cerenia worked.  And why she will eat later in the day as her symptoms improve.  I'd just offer/feed her small portions several times a day once she expresses interest in eating.

Checking for a UTI is easy and quick, and a good idea if it wasn't done when she was in before.  And, since she's from Spain, checking for mediterranean diseases and TBD is probably in order too.  Leishmania is something I see mentioned often for galgos and poddies of the rescue pages.  The only other thought I had was some sort of tumor or nerve sheath involvement, but you won't find that without a CT or MRI, and it's doubtful you'd want to do any sort of surgery or treatment anyway.  

Once you've eliminated the easy stuff, the only other thing to do is wait and see how far she progresses in improvement over the next week or so.  My Cash seized, crashed and died in the back of my car following a rabies vaccine, and the ER vet got her back.  But she couldn't stand or walk - couldn't even lift her head.  The ER vet said I should say my goodbyes when I left her for the night as she probably wouldn't be there in the morning.  Not only did Cash walk out of the hospital 3 days later, she got back to nearly 100% over the course of the next few weeks.  It just takes time to get there.

Watchful waiting and a lot of patience will be how you get through this, I think.  {{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Today was a better day. She's walking straighter although her head is still tilted. Eventually ate her breakfast. She was excited about dinner and ran around the kitchen - a normal behavior but one I haven't seen since last Tuesday.

Chatted with the vet who said no ear issues seen on intake. Still thinks it was a mild stroke.

Hada already had a vet appt set for the first week in April so she'll get a reevaluation then.

Thank you for all your good thoughts.

Here she is today:
166977051_3010764099248674_2657735025638

tiny hada siggy.png

She's making great progress!

I hope the improvement continues, although it might slow a bit.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Hada! :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ducky, FWIW, my long haired Dachshund, Claire, had a stroke with she was 15.  I came home from church to find her lying on her side, frantically struggling to get up, clearly agitated, upset, and sacred.  Off the the ER where they diagnosed a stroke.  She was wobbly and tended to move more in one direction than the other--favoring one side.  It took her several days, but she really made a full recovery and live for 2 more happy, active years.

The moment I think I knew she'd be OK:  I'd been diligently carrying tiny Claire out to potty, over to her food, off to her bed, etc. Probably too much Mother-Hening.  Came home and could not find her.  Roamed the house in a panic, calling her name.  Finally ran her to ground out at the far back end of the house--she'd managed to get herself down several shallow steps and make her way to the bag of dog food.  She had eaten her fill and then some.  As I rushed up to her, thrilled to find her and worried sick, I saw her little sides bulging with food.  She looked up and made the funniest groaning "ump" sound--Mom, I'm kinda too full now; oh, woe is me.  :wub:   My fervent hope is that Hada is just the same sort of tough little old lady as Claire and she'll soon be herself again.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.