11 Y/O, Limping on Back, Now Front Leg, Pacing

Hello all,

My 11-year-old Grey, Pearl, is demonstrating some concerning behavior for the last couple of weeks. 

Over a day or two she began limping on her back left left. She’d yelp as she tried to stand or lay down, eventually refusing to lay down at all - she’d just pace for hours. 

We visited our vet. She performed X-rays as Pearl was not giving physical clues during the exam as to what was wrong. The x rays did not reveal any concerns. 

Vet thought it might be a soft tissue injury, a sprain or muscle tear. Prescribed Deramaxx and Gabipentin. It was unclear if those medications helped as she’d just keep pacing, never laying down. Clearly in pain. Vet prescribed Trazodone to relax her and promote rest. That did help. 

After a week, there was no improvement. In fact, some worsening. She’s now limping on both her front and back paws, both on the left side. She remains on the medications, and today urinated on her bed while laying there, like she didn’t even notice.  We’re awaiting another vet follow up on Wednesday this week. 

Whats next? What can we do for her and what should we advocate for? We’re in rural Maine so vet technology is somewhat limited - things like MRIs or CT scans would mean a trip to Portland, which I’m more than willing to do for her. 

Derek

Unfortunately xrays don't always show osteo once symptoms appear.  You should get them redone in 2 weeks. 

My front tripod was having issues with her back legs. Xrays showed nothing.  We did a CT scan 2 weeks later and there was osteo in her leg and pelvis.

I hope it's soft tissue like the vet said.  Saying prayers. Good luck,

• 1 month later...