Stretcher / Litter for Moving / Carrying An Injured Greyhound

I'm posting in EEG since this isn't a specific medical issue. 

Back when we had Rocket I often wondered how we would be able to move or carry him to the car if he was injured.  Fortunately that day never happened, but I did have to lift him him into the van a time or two and that was enough to convince me that I couldn't carry him.  I looked at pet stretchers with wheels, other types of stretchers / litters etc and never did anything about the problem. 

Tonight while looking online, I found that a medical equipment currently has really good sale prices on their rescue  litters. These are marketed toward rescue personnel for humans but do the same job as the models marketed toward pets. I decided it was time to have something like this on hand so I ordered one of the regular models and the XL model as both were on sale.  The XL model is wider and longer and may work better for a bigger dog.  Based on the sale prices and shipping, the total for the 2 stretchers was less than $25.  A similar item marketed for pets starts at about $ 35. 

Sale prices as of this posting range from $6.50 to 19.99.  The particular vendor is reputable and well known in EMS and Fire Services.  I have no affiliation - just passing along the info in case anyone thinks one of these would be good to have on hand.  Not sure how long the sale prices are in effect.  All models are shown on this page. https://www.rescue-essentials.com/quiklitters/

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sadly, my Sasha is losing her hind end.  She is now wearing a Help 'Em Up harness.  It allows me to assist her going up and down the 4 steps in and out of my house, and I'm confident I'll be able to lift her in and out of the car when her time comes, using it.  The one I have is a loaner from the vet, and is a medium/medium. Sasha weighs 65#.  If I had to buy one, I'd get a medium/small, but this one does work with the rear harness at its tightest.

Thanks for this PSA. It's so important to have a plan.

I was incredibly glad we had the Help 'Em Up harness on hand when Sweep broke her leg. I bought it 6 months or so ago when I noticed her getting a little weaker in her hind end, anticipating she might eventually need help getting into the car. We had to break it in with my sister's dog in October (he passed at the e-vet from IMHA). I don't know how we would have transported either of them had we not had it.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

From what I can tell, these litters are soft and flexible, not rigid?  Would you put the dog in the middle and kind of carry it folded up, like a taco, if you only had 2 people?  

It says they are not designed for dragging, but for a 70-lb dog instead of a 100-lb+ human, do you think one person could drag a dog a short distance, say, to a car?  Dog would have to be compliant, though, which would probably be a big problem.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Those look like they would work well if you had two people to carry. The one I bought when I had Fletcher ( because I knew I wasn’t carrying his 90 lb ass any where :lol) has a rigid frame and wheels so one person could manage it. It also has a net like restraint. But it was a lot more expensive! 

2 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

From what I can tell, these litters are soft and flexible, not rigid?  Would you put the dog in the middle and kind of carry it folded up, like a taco, if you only had 2 people?  

It says they are not designed for dragging, but for a 70-lb dog instead of a 100-lb+ human, do you think one person could drag a dog a short distance, say, to a car?  Dog would have to be compliant, though, which would probably be a big problem.  

Yes  like a taco and with multiple people.  For the price, if I had to drag a larger dog a little way and and the liter was damaged, I wouldn't care - it would have served it's purpose.  I've helped move 2 larger dogs in the past after surgery using rolled up blankets and I can tell you that everyone helping almost dropped the dog at some point because a rolled up blanket is impossible to keep your grip on and has no structure to support the dog. The handles on this will make it worth the investment for the ease of carrying and less jostling of the dog.  

The reason they mention "not for dragging" is that in active shooter training they teach a way to rescue a human by dragging them out of the scene and this is primarily marketed to First Responders. 

There are other, more rigid pet stretchers with a metal frame and wheels on one end that one person could move a larger dog with, but it may still be a chore to get them on the stretcher with only one person.  I've considered buying one of these several times but never did. See Remolacha's note above about moving a 90 lb dog. 

I hope I never need to use this, but will be glad I have it if I do. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Years ago I bought this from a Newfoundland rescue group. I don't know if this group is still selling them.

https://www.angelfire.com/ny4/Northland/

This one on Amazon has wheels

https://www.amazon.com/Tuntrol-Stretcher-Transport-Trolley-Capacity/dp/B0831BB7SC

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I would use a plastic snow sled! 

I'm sure even peeps in Arizona or Texas could order one from Amazon!

I often use one to haul heavy bags of grain down to my barn in the winter.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We used two towels to move Annie down steps and to the car when she broke her rear leg. Yup, it too 2 of is. One towel under the chest and one under the belly.  Joe who was in the front also held onto her collar.  Moving an injured GH is a 2 person job.

We bought this one after Dude broke his leg running in the yard and it took four people to get him to the car.  I never would have been able to do it if I'd been by myself.  Then someone had to ride in the back with him to the hospital because he kept trying to stand up.  

Pet Stretcher

What I like about this one is it has straps to help keep the dog down on the stretcher, and the rigid frame with the high weight limit.  I could actually move a fairly large person if necessary.  But it is much more expensive.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

7 hours ago, greysmom said:

We bought this one after Dude broke his leg running in the yard and it took four people to get him to the car.  I never would have been able to do it if I'd been by myself.  Then someone had to ride in the back with him to the hospital because he kept trying to stand up.  

Pet Stretcher

What I like about this one is it has straps to help keep the dog down on the stretcher, and the rigid frame with the high weight limit.  I could actually move a fairly large person if necessary.  But it is much more expensive.

That's the one I have.

• 4 weeks later...

Wish I'd had one of these when DesiRay went down (shoulder).

The biggest problem for me, though,  was how painful he was.  Trying to get him on something was such a trauma for both of us.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.