Sudden fall, legs crossing, knuckling

Mickey is our sweet boy, turning 7 this year. Tonight I recall watching him earlier and thinking his walk was a little off, maybe a little hitchy. We went out for a bit tonight and when we came home, he fell on his way to greet us and wasn’t able to get himself up. He was not 100% weight bearing on his rear right leg. While walking to his bed, his back legs were crossing. Once on his bed, while trying to circle, all of a sudden his left front paw was knuckling and dragging and not righting itself. This is out of nowhere and we are so concerned. We will be calling the vet first thing tomorrow. I did a quick search as it didn’t seem to match LS, what our last grey had and found DM- which I’m not sure about either since he went from being fine this morning to being affected  in both front and back 😢

Sounds as though it could be a stroke. Can you take him to an ER tonight? Dogs generally survive strokes, but I think he may need to be seen soon to minimize complications.

https://www.care.com/c/stories/6485/strokes-in-dogs-everything-you-need-to-know/

Edited by KF_in_Georgia
add link

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

8 minutes ago, KF_in_Georgia said:

Sounds as though it could be a stroke. Can you take him to an ER tonight? Dogs generally survive strokes, but I think he may need to be seen soon to minimize complications.

https://www.care.com/c/stories/6485/strokes-in-dogs-everything-you-need-to-know/

I wondered about this too but he’s not showing any of the neuro signs you’d expect. My husband will be up with him most of the night, that’s his bestie, and will take him in if that changes. 

10 hours ago, KF_in_Georgia said:

I stand corrected.  After consulting with a couple of vets and those, like you, in the know, it does sound like a stroke- not something we have experienced previously.  He is on his way to the vet now, not weight bearing at all.  I have read others experiences here and am not without hope, but still cannot wrap my head around how they come back from this.  

Sending good wishes for your pup. It's a scary thing to deal with. Have not had a dog with a stroke yet, but have had a couple with spinal issues and another with a polyneuropathy. All had, at one point or another, incidents similar to your description but it wasn't sudden onset, merely an increase/escalation of already existing symptoms. The suddenness you describe would scare the bejeepers out of me. Have known a couple folks whose dogs did come back from a stroke. The dogs were never 100% after that but were happy, able to get around on their own and one went on regular walks again. It was life changing to be sure but not the end of happy lives.

A friend of mine had a champion agility greyhound, Katie, who suffered an FCE at the age of 12. Jennifer blogged about rehabbing Katie, and her posts are under the tag KATIE NEUROLOGICAL: http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/search/label/Katie Neurological

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:hope

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

MickeysMom, Rex is a dog & GME is a disease. Granulomatous meningoencephalitis (sp?) is an autoimmune disease. Many things effecting the spinal cord can present with some similar symptoms. I don’t envy vets their responsibility to accurately diagnose these things. It can be very hard. 

Edited by kudzu