Katie - (Miss Kate) 5/28/08 - 3/23/21

Time4ANap

Camp Broodie is a little sadder, emptier and quieter today after Kate had to leave for the Rainbow Bridge. Kate had some paw issues and had developed a limp that was increasingly worse. Today after being evaluated by the vet, we decided that there were too many additional issues to insure that that she could safely maintain her quality of life much longer, and we did not want to risk a catastrophic injury.  We saw her decline rapidly over the past week and made the heart-wrenching decision that "a day too soon is better than a day too late." We said goodbye to our sweet, barky girl. She crossed over very peacefully here at home. 

Kate joined us 1 1/2 years ago after we figured out that Petunia was not happy being an only-dog.  We think that Kate and Petunia were probably on the same farm together previously and likely already knew each other.   When Kate walked in the door they just acted like they were old friends and life went on as normal from Day 1.  It wasn't unusual to see them groom each other and nuzzle each other at least a few times a day. They were very much bonded. Petunia stayed by Kate through the process today, and has been laying in the bed that Kate last lay in ever since. It is a gray, gloomy day in Arizona and that pretty much matches the mood here at Camp Broodie. 

Kate never met food that she didn't like, and was an excellent washer of all food dishes. She would finish her dinner first, then go outside until Petunia appeared in the back yard. Kate would then run back inside to clean Petunia's dish because she was sure that Petunia left something good in there - every meal.  It was always bonus time when Trolley or Snickers visited and there was an extra dish to clean. Just to make sure the the job was done, she would usually go back 2 or 3 times to clean the dishes. Dishwashing was often the highlight of her day.

She found her voice shortly after arriving here and in the last 6 months or so perfected the idea that barking when she wanted something was a good way to get it. One bark - or sometimes several if we weren't moving fast enough for her. :lol  I am going to miss that "woof" in the middle of the night to let me know that she was now ready to go out. She was a night owl and did her best spinning and playing at about midnight every night. Even with the limp, she decided as recently as this past Saturday that running at full speed down the hallway and flinging a hedgehog was a good idea. Broodies...

She also used that bark to announce visitors. She got really good at recognizing that her Aunt Lorinda and her Aunt Carol had white cars and would loudly announce the arrival of any white car that parked in front of the house, or at the house across the street. It was impossible at times to convince her that no one was coming to visit us when the car was visiting a different house. Broodies...

Last night I slept on the sofa to be near her in case she needed help getting up.  At about 3AM this morning she gave me the slip without making a sound, went to the bedroom and gave a "Woof!" for Chris to come and pet her. She ended up snuggling on the floor with her for the rest of the night.  Broodies...

Run-Free Miss Kate. You are very much loved and will be missed more than you could ever know. There's just something about...Broodies...

x7StL7L.jpg

MG3nCEZ.jpg

1JSsW3G.jpg

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry you had to say good bye to Miss Kate! You gave her a wonderful life at Camp Broodie. She will live on in your memories.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I am so very sorry your sweet girl had to leave you :(:( what a wonderful tribute. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

What a lovely tribute to Katie. :brokenheart She sounded like quite a gal.

By now she will have found her way to the Rainbow Bridge Bacon Bar, demanding immediate service due for her Broodiness. She will purposely have forgotten to bring any money to pay for her meal, just so she can wash all the dishes.  Broodies...

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh, Don and Chris I am so sad and sorry to read this.  She was a beautiful, fun, girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So, so sorry. Oh how I am going to miss those Kate and Petunia stories. She was a lucky girl to have landed with you folks and I know how much she enriched your lives. What a perfect last chapter you provided for Kate at Camp Broodie. Take care of yourselves and give P2 a special hug from the campers and me. :grouphug

Godspeed beautiful Katie f_yellow Seamie :heart :brokenheart has been cooking all day for you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So sorry.  Sending hugs.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I am so sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to your sweet girlie.

May you cherish the joy you were given and hold the memories of Katie close to your heart.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Oh no! I'm so very sorry that Kate had to leave. She had personality to spare and put the B in Broodies. I hope you know how much she enjoyed her time with you and Petunia, even if it was much too short.

Godspeed Kate.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

So sad and sorry to read that you've had to say goodbye to Kate. I too have always loved your "Tales from Camp Broodie" and my heart hurts for you two and Petunia. Hugs to you all.

3 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Seamie :heart :brokenheart has been cooking all day for you.

:cry1 

Rest well, Kate.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss of Miss Kate. She sounds like a sweet and wonderful gal. Thank you for making her last year and a half happy and safe.

Rest well beautiful.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I am so sorry that Katie had to leave you.  :cry1       That was such a wonderful tribute to her!   I hope Petunia can adjust to life without her BFF. :grouphug      Run Free Katie!   

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I am so very sorry that it was Katie's time.  I hope Petunia  is adjusting to the loss of her BFF and the new level of silence in your home isn't too deafening.  Wishing everyone peace. 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Well it never is easy is it ?  I am sorry Kate has made her journey across the bridge.  Petunia sweetie we send hugs to you .

Daphne & Bitzi

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Don, I'm so sorry for you and your wife that Miss Kate found it was time to leave.  I, too, was a firm Petunia and Kate fan, and will miss your stories of them.

{{{hugs}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank you for the kind words everyone. We were not expecting Kate to leave so soon after arriving but knew that there are no guarantees when adopting seniors. We would still take in another senior in a heartbeat. 

We never thought that Kate made a sound but dinner time last night was eerily silent.  There was only the occasional crunch of Petunia daintily eating one piece of kibble at a time, abut no little black freight train running through the kitchen to her bowl followed by the sound of a slurping food vacuum and the subsequent clinking of the bowls being cleaned several times over. I don't think we realized how much we enjoyed the fact that Kate REALLY ENJOYED her food. :lol  It makes me laugh to think about the routine at every meal. Chris said it was really lonely this morning when Kate wasn't there insisting on breakfast at the precise minute that it's supposed to be served. She had priorities. 

Petunia is definitely feeling the loss but is doing better than I expected.  We had to have a petting and ear rubbing session during the night to get her back to sleep after she started pacing and talking at around midnight, but she slept through the night and is eating well so that's all we can ask while she processes her loss. 

Thanks again. Petunia will still be posting her adventures, which have been sorely lacking since the COVID lockdown happened. She tells me about that all the time. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Petunia stayed by Kate through the process today, and has been laying in the bed that Kate last lay in ever since. It is a gray, gloomy day in Arizona and that pretty much matches the mood here at Camp Broodie. 

:crying

I am so sorry.  This news makes it gloomier in Virginia, as well.

I hope Kate's and Rocket's spirits have met up and they have been discussing their lives with you.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

((((((hugs)))))

My heartfelt condolences go out to you guys. Your tribute was beautiful. Katie was so blessed to have the perfect parents. You guys should be proud of yourselves. Run free Katie,  and I hope in time your parents tears turn to smiles of fun loving memories of you.

💙💜💚💛❤️

I forgot how to put a pic in my signature. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks