Lost looking for the right food!

Our rescue grey is currently on Dr John Silver food, that's what was given to him at the kennels. We were told to keep him on it and phase it out slowly to another one. He was given weetabix and milk for breakfast, but we know for certain to stop that and just stick to his normal food. Cod liver oil which they used to give him is no longer on the table too as the claims seem unsubstantiated.

However, finding the appropriate food is a difficult task! Pets At Home suggested a good one from Wagg, whereas the experienced trainer we're working with suggested Barking Heads, Eden, Acana, Orijen and most certainly not Wagg. When I look these up, particularly Orijen, it seems there are pros and cons to all the options. 

I'm basically looking for some guidance as we don't know what's best for him, but we will keep him on the food he knows for now.

On the recommendation of my vet, I’ve been feeding Jenny a grain-inclusive kibble.  Fromm is an excellent brand. You can find it online at gofromm.com. Check it out. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I agree with LaFlaca about grain inclusive foods. Others on this forum have highlighted a probable link between grain-free foods and a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy. There is no reason that I can see to avoid grain, unless your dog has an allergy to it. Did your trainer say why ‘definitely not Wagg’? Is there a bit of snobbery because it’s a cheaper food?

There are so many different options and probably as many different opinions from people here. Mine is pretty much exclusively on kibble (with added rehydrated carrots and yogurt or kefir garnish) and snacks. We’ve had him on different brands, but he is currently on Chappie dry food, which was recommended by the vet as it is very bland and he’s prone to upset tummies now and then (mostly because he supplements his meals with poo - any kind, he’s not that fussy). Before that he was on food from the greyhound trust, recommended by HeyRunDog, which can be bought online.

The only ‘right’ diet is one that works for you and your dog. And it’s best not to change it too frequently

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

MerseyGrey beat me to it.:D

Grace has kibble from the Greyhound Trust https://greyhoundtruststore.com/collections/pet-greyhound-feed/products/pet-greyhound-food
or Gain Maintenance from Millbry Hill https://www.millbryhill.co.uk/pets-c6/gain-greyhound-maintenance-food-p5304/s18328

I also add a spoonful of porridge oats moistened with hot water and let cool together with Lintbells Yuderm Moulting Dog to her food to help keep her coat in good condition which was recommended by my vet https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-YuDERM-Moulting-Dog-500ml/dp/B07X5D1MCZ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=lintbells&qid=1616480224&sr=8-9

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I use Arden Grange as it's what Frazer was fed while he was in kennels and he seems to like it. I top up with either fish or a chicken mince which I buy from the butchers, plus some veg. I like to mix it up a little for him! My vet just told me to give him a "balanced" diet, though wasn't too specific otherwise. She did say that she isn't too keen on a wholly wet diet because of the risk of bacteria in the food. 

I'm trying not to stress too much about what I feed him (as long as it's not toxic to him, of course!), I think as long as he seems healthy, as decent poops and is in good shape - hip bones/three back ribs visible/glossy coat etc - there's nothing to worry about. Easier said then done, though! 

I think the key is to not introduce anything too quickly, as you say. Could you buy another brand and mix it in with what he's currently eating?

I think the best food is whatever does best for your dog -- as gauged by the weight, poop, and coat as posted above, and also by digestive sounds and smells.  It is highly individual.  As long as your dog's tummy is not easily upset, don't be afraid of trying something new if you think your current food is deficient.  I transition mine over 3-7 days, depending on the dog and the circumstances.   But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

Cost is also a factor.  I think some brands are priced for snob value, not food value.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

All of the above is excellent advice.  I'll just add my two cents.

There's no right or wrong answer to your question.  It's really just figuring out what works for you and your dog and sticking with it.

In general, you want a food that is "complete" - a good protein source, a good whole grain carb source, and all the vitamins and minerals a canine needs to maintain proper health.  Including whole grains is a must, IMO, because of the risk of dilated cardiomyeopathy, so don't fall for the hype of "boutique" brands which seem to offer something better under the guise of whatever angle they are selling.   

Your dog needs to be able to maintain a good weight (not gain or lose), on a moderate amount of food, for his particular activity level.  His stools should be good and he shouldn't have any stinky farts or audible stomach noises.  His poops shouldn't be huge and they should be pick-up-able.

Unless your dog has a diagnosed medical condition, there's no reason for expensive prescription or veterinary brands, foods with unique proteins (like kangaroo or rabbit), or really expensive luxury brand foods.  Most greyhounds do just fine on a low-to-moderate price store brand that's readily available and won't bust your checkbook every month.  Many people in the US have had success with Purina Pro Plan's grain inclusive lines, and the Iams brands.  You'll need to do some checking to see what UK brands are similar.

Once you find a kibble that satisfies you and your dog, how you serve it depends entirely on what you want to do.  In our house, our greyhounds' meals are kibble, topped with a spoon of wet food, mixed with water for gravy and hydration, and a couple teaspoons of salmon oil for general coat conditioning.  One of mine also gets a tablespoon of rehydrated Olewho carrots because she needs more fiber in her diet to have good stools.  That's it.  We rotate the wet food flavors, but their meals stay pretty much the same for consistency.

Finding a "good" dog food can make you crazy.  Settle for finding a nutricious food your dog likes and will eat with enthusiasm.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'd definitely recommend not bulk buying anything unless you've road tested it with your dog. I made the mistake of doing that with the aforementioned above Greyhound Trust dry food. The fish flavour in particular, even a handful, gave my dude the violent **s. :x Typical of my greyhound to not get on with greyhound food. I'm still trying to work out what the best thing for him is after having him on Forthglade, now Harringtons. The quest for firm poo continues.