Seresto flea & tick collars

I just saw on the CBS evening news that the Seresto collars are linked to 1700 deaths of dogs and cats. Elanco is claiming they are safe and will not recall them. One U.S. congressman is trying to get them recalled, at least temporarily.

Beware.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

There was another article about this a month or so ago.

We're in a very high tick area here and I've used them for 2 years with no issues.   Call me crazy, but I plan on using them again this year. 

I used the Preventic collars for 3 years before that.

Any product  - collars/sprays etc - that is made to kill ticks/fleas, etc is poisonous but I think that the risk to my dogs from the product is less than the risk from Tick illnesses.

One of my ponies (and a friends dog) was diagnosed with Anaplasmosis at Christmas. 

We're in Eastern Ontario and do not usually see ticks in the winter, but 'global warming' seems to have moved the goal posts on that.   The pony was very ill and then relapsed in mid January and spent 5 days in the Ontario Veterinary College Clinic.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Seresto collar.  Many of those claims can not be confirmed with the use of the collars.  Keep in mind some of those collar purchases could potentially be counterfeit.  This is no different than the recent bravecto scare.  

I agree with tbhounds. I used the Seresto collar on my grey for the first time last year and had no problems at all, and she wore it 8 months. Just put a new one on and she has no problems either. Be extra sure that the collars aren’t counterfeit. There are ways to know - buy from a reliable source, if it is cheap it probably should be questioned, and by simply going on the Seresto site or googling how to know you have the real Seresto brand collar. 

Used the collar for six plus  years on different greyhounds, have had no ticks or fleas or other troubles. However one seems to have less hair on his neck. He came that way and never got any more hair there.  His butt was also kind of hairless, but has grown in since we adopted him in 2018 .He is healthy and play just fine. Used spot ons in the past and had sick greyhounds. I will continue my use of them. 

Counterfeit Seresto collars have been found coming from Amazon, eBay, Walmart, and many other foreign or otherwise iffy websites.

https://news.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=210&Id=10124607

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EUC3JkVb3I

This video will show you the obvious differences in the real and fake versions.  I buy my Seresto collars from my vet. Yes, they cost more but I know they are genuine and I want to support my vet's business.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png