Coat problems

Why can’t I get rid of my hounds dandruff????  I brush him every other day!  He eats Purina Pro Plan, and Bernie’s Perfect Poop.  I sometimes supplement his food with eggs, or yogurt, or sweet potato, or carrots.  Is there something else I can do?  His coat also looks very dry.  We are in Maine, so it might be the weather?

Try adding fish oil to his diet. I give Jenny Grizzly Omega Health,  3 pumps with each meal (twice a day).  It took about a year to get her coat looking good and flake- free. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I had the same problem with Grace. I used ExmaRid dog shampoo for dry, scaly and itchy skin made by Bob Martin which had immediate results even after one use and she now has Lintbells YuDERM Moulting Dog added to her meals which keeps her coat in good condition apart from her bald thighs :D Unfortunately I'm not sure if theses products are available outside the UK :( but a salmon oil additive to her food should help.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I forgot to add earlier that a good, mild shampoo and conditioner work wonders, too. My vet recommended HyLyte brand.  It’s good stuff.  You can get it on Amazon. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

15 hours ago, Noclue1122 said:

Thanks! How often do you bathe your greyhound?  It’s cold here, so I was thinking of waiting until the Spring.

Very rarely does Grace get bathed and when I do so it's in the shower with plenty of towels available. She refuses to wear a coat and isn't bothered by the rain, unless it's absolutely tipping it down, so she gets a natural bath every time it rains on her early morning walk :D

When you do give your hound a shower/bath make sure the water isn't too warm as greyhounds apparently faint if the water is too hot which has given some dog groomers a fright thinking they've killed their client.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

On 3/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, Remolacha said:

The weather is probably a contributing factor. Indoor heated air in the winter is very dry. Fish oil is good, or just add some canned sardines to his food, he will probably love them :D 

If a hound is allergic to fish oil, coconut oil could be used instead.

• 1 month later...

We’re having the same problem, we have a 22 month old black greyhound which we’ve had for two months.

She wasn’t in the best condition when we had her coat wise, thick kennel coat.

With daily brushing her coat looks nice and gleaming but the dandruff seems to be getting worse.

Food wise we’ve got her on Arden & Grange Salmon and Rice morning and night, she has a small bowl of oats most mornings and daily mackerel or Sardines so from what I’ve read this should have addressed the issue but the dandruff seems worse than ever and she seems to be shedding more fur than normal.

We’ve taken her for a check up this morning and the vet has prescribed nutra mega capsules 3 times a day and we’ve purchased an anti dandruff shampoo, also thinking that her bed is to close to a radiator drying her skin??

I wouldn't hesitate giving him a good bath. Get rid of the dead skin!

But if this doesn't change in a month have your vet do a scraping. It can be a walking mite. One of my dogs suddenly had the worst dandruff in the world. My vet checked, a shot of ivomec cleared it up.

Also low thyroid will throw coat/skin off.

17 hours ago, rebeccamcl said:

Manny gets dandruff occasionally in the winter. I rub coconut oil on his skin/coat - maybe a tablespoon. It seems to clear up in just a day or so.

Tried the coconut oil and it’s worked a treat so far 👍👍