I don't think my Grey is a dog park dog :/

For context, he is turning 3 years old this month, retired for a year now.

Here is a summarized timeline of our dog park adventures:

1 Month in - Too nervous/scared to leave the parking lot, wouldn't go up to the gate while leashed.

2 months in - Able to walk up to the gate, but refused to go inside

3 months in - Able to go into the dog park now, but stands right next to the gate and looks like he wants to go back into the car and go home

4 months in - Hooray, he's playing with the other dogs! Running around, play fighting, having a great time.

5-7 Months in - Going to the dog park 1-4x/week, getting to know other dogs. Becoming very confident inside of the dog park. Actively greeting new dogs and people. 

Just recently - The past couple of days where I've taken my grey to the dog park, there was one instance where someone brought in a (suspected) intact samoyed. Right when the owner brought this dog in, the 6-7 dogs in the park including my grey made a beeline right up to the gate, and a fight broke out. It seemed  like my grey was the main instigator, I had to go and pull him off of the other dog.

After that day, I took a couple of days off of the dog park since that was the first time I've ever seen him act aggressive and actually going after another dog with what looked like ill intent.

Couple of days pass, I go back to the dog park. This time I notice that he is really getting into chasing other dogs and nipping at them now and tumbling into them with his body and making them fall over and get knocked down while running. This seems incredibly jerkish of him and I've never seen him chase other dogs like that to this extent after that day with the Samoyed.

It got to the point where he got really fixated on this probably ~20 lb dog and literally chased him around until he caught him and bit down on his scruff. I ran up to him right away, got him off of the little dog and apologized to the owner, leashed him up and haven't been back since.

On leash walking around the neighborhood, he is not reactive in any sort of way.

Has anyone had similar stories of this kind of behavior changing suddenly? Even if he's not a dog's dog, he is perfectly happy going on walks on his own or having fun in my fenced in yard. It wouldn't be fair for me to keep bringing him to the dog park and make other owners anxious about their dog getting grabbed

Edited by Legendaryfrank

For the most part, no one here will suggest taking a greyhound to a dog park.  Ever.  You've covered the reasons.   

Obviously there will always be a dog or two who do just fine at a dog park, but greyhounds are simply being greyhounds when they get around other dogs, and they are used to playing hard with other greyhounds. What's construed by others as bad behavior is simply a dog that has some prey drive playing normally. You'll note that when most greyhound groups get together that muzzles are required for these same reasons.  Injuries can happen quickly due to thin skin, and what might provoke a fight with other breeds is often just rough greyhound play.  The muzzles protect all involved. The dog park is always a no-go in this house. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

18 minutes ago, Time4ANap said:

For the most part, no one here will suggest taking a greyhound to a dog park.  Ever.  You've covered the reasons.   

Obviously there will always be a dog or two who do just fine at a dog park, but greyhounds are simply being greyhounds when they get around other dogs, and they are used to playing hard with other greyhounds. What's construed by others as bad behavior is simply a dog that has some prey drive playing normally. You'll note that when most greyhound groups get together that muzzles are required for these same reasons.  Injuries can happen quickly due to thin skin, and what might provoke a fight with other breeds is often just rough greyhound play.  The muzzles protect all involved. The dog park is always a no-go in this house. 

Great points. I thought my grey would be different but that is clearly not the case, and I put absolutely zero blame on him. Thanks for the reply! Will be on the lookout if my agency sets up any greyhound only meets.

Edited by Legendaryfrank

12 minutes ago, Legendaryfrank said:

Great points. I thought my grey would be different but that is clearly not the case, and I put absolutely zero blame on him. Thanks for the reply! Will be on the lookout if my agency sets up any greyhound only meets.

It's important to note that it's not a failure on the part of the dog or on you.  It's just part of having a greyhound.  When we moved to AZ we took Rocket to a dog park or two nearby before we had possession the house where he had a yard to run in.  He could have cared less about the other dogs and proceeded to hang out with the other dog owners. He had figured out by that point that people at dog parks carry treats. :lol

Edited by Time4ANap
typo
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

In my opinion, dog parks are tragedies waiting to happen. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

10 hours ago, LaFlaca said:

In my opinion, dog parks are tragedies waiting to happen. 

We know that from experience. When Poodle the poodle was almost disemboweled he bit me in the face several times lashing out as I scooped him up.  My vet visibly paled when I walked in with him and blood pouring down my face.  I was a dog park fan before five dogs packed on him.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg