Greyhound Has Abnormal Blood-work Kidney Values After A Round of Antibiotics - Is This Normal?

There are issues with my grey’s blood-work kidney values.

January of this year my grey’s SDMA and creatine levels were high, the subsequent urinalysis results were normal, and an ultrasound did not find anything conclusive. It was determined to potentially be an acute kidney infection so my vet and I decided to go with a round of antibiotics.

March of this year (today) my grey's SDMA and creatine levels are still high and now my vet is suggesting I give her a different type of antibiotic (because “we are essentially guessing which one to use” - vet) and it could potentially be Addison’s disease (but the vet said her hormone values are fine so she's unsure). 

I understand greyhounds blood-work values are different than other breeds so my questions are: are these values normal? Has anyone encountered this before? If so, what were the outcomes?

January:
IDEXX SDMA: 15 ug/dL;
Creatine: 157 umol/L;
Creatine Kinase: 114 U/L;
Urea (BUN): 7.9 mmol/L;
T4: N/A

March:
IDEXX SDMA: 16 ug/dL;
Creatine: 158 umol/L;
Creatine Kinase: 259 U/L;
Urea (BUN): 6.7 mmol/L;
T4: 11.0 nmol/L

Welcome to Greytalk! Sorry this is the reason. My first question is will you please include the normal range from the blood work?

Creatinine in Greyhounds can run higher than other breeds. Do you have any blood work results prior to January? Am wondering what the numbers were before. Also, what prompted the vet visit that resulted in blood work. Was your dog ill or was this a routine checkup?

Tried to find a conversion from umol to mg/dL, the value used in it lab work. Your dog might have 1.77 mg/dL. That doesn’t seem very high for a Greyhound. However, a lot would depend on the reference range for the blood work you have. 

1 hour ago, kudzu said:

Welcome to Greytalk! Sorry this is the reason. My first question is will you please include the normal range from the blood work?

Creatinine in Greyhounds can run higher than other breeds. Do you have any blood work results prior to January? Am wondering what the numbers were before. Also, what prompted the vet visit that resulted in blood work. Was your dog ill or was this a routine checkup?

Reference Values for bloodwork: IDEXX SDMA: 0-14 ug/dL; Creatine: 44-133 umol/L; Creatine Kinase: 10-200 U/L; Urea (BUN): 3.2-11.0 mmol/L;T4: 13.0-53.0 nmol/L

The visit was an annual health check-up and blood-work required before a dental cleaning. Her teeth really need a cleaning. Otherwise, she is her usual self. Unfortunately, there are no previous blood work results for her. Thank you so much for the response! :) 

I should mention I have booked an appointment with a grey saavy vet to get a second opinion, as well as, potentially get a dental cleaning from them.

1 hour ago, kudzu said:

Tried to find a conversion from umol to mg/dL, the value used in it lab work. Your dog might have 1.77 mg/dL. That doesn’t seem very high for a Greyhound. However, a lot would depend on the reference range for the blood work you have. 

Thank you for your response! Reference Values for bloodwork: IDEXX SDMA: 0-14 ug/dL; Creatine: 44-133 umol/L; Creatine Kinase: 10-200 U/L; Urea (BUN): 3.2-11.0 mmol/L;T4: 13.0-53.0 nmol/L.

Just realized you are the same poster, lol! sorry!

Edited by BraskaTeenie

Well the 133 umol/L high on reference range is equivalent to the 1.5 mg/dL high ref range on my dog’s lab work. While 133 umol/L might be on the high side of average for a Grey,  it could be normal for your dog.  I had a Grey whose normal was about the same. Had a lurcher that actually ran a bit higher. (She was 3/4 sighthound.) It isn’t something I’d worry about if it was stable & other lab work was okay. Of course, I’m just a pet owner, not a vet. 

The second opinion sounds like a good approach before trying another antibiotic. Let us know what happens.