Sweep's having surgery 3/10 *Update, now 3/11*

MoMo passionately hated being helped.  I found a harness that she accepted and that let me assist her through her osteo (not related to her break).  It's comfortable enough to be worn 24/7.  I cannot remember where I got it other than that it was from a GT vendor.  I've posted in H&M to see if anyone here remember who sells these.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, LBass said:

MoMo passionately hated being helped.  I found a harness that she accepted and that let me assist her through her osteo (not related to her break).  It's comfortable enough to be worn 24/7.  I cannot remember where I got it other than that it was from a GT vendor.  I've posted in H&M to see if anyone here remember who sells these.

I saw your post; that looks like a really nice, comfortable harness. We do have a Help 'Em Up harness, which is how we managed to get Sweep in and out of the car this week. She has been really tolerant thus far; no snarking or snapping at all, which for my bed-possessive, sleep-startling girl is quite surprising. She's been pawing us for pets and this morning we got our first post-op tail wag. :wub:  When she starts growling at the cat again for looking at her funny, I'll know for sure she's feeling mostly normal.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Sweep, you are a wonder. Keep up the good work! 

1 hour ago, ramonaghan said:

Looks like they are leaving the fibula to mend itself.

Was wondering about that. My first thought was, “How can it heal well that way?” Then I remembered that I’ve had at least 5 breaks, all odd ones in uncastable locations, that all healed well without cast or splint. Yes, there was some care taken & lots of “keep her quiet” (like that could ever happen) but all was well in the end.

1 hour ago, ramonaghan said:

She's been pawing us for pets and this morning we got our first post-op tail wag. :wub:  When she starts growling at the cat again for looking at her funny, I'll know for sure she's feeling mostly normal.

:lol Yup.  Yay for tail wags! :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

44 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I have been waiting for this. :yay 

9-AB956-C7-4150-481-D-AEB4-90468-AAF729-

:beatheart:yay:balloonparty:banana:clap:cookie:wub:

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh Sweep :kiss2 Doin' it rite :confetti:clap

What a great pup tent that is!

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Way to go Sweep! Elevating an injury is always helpful. What a great tent you've got!

I can see Wiki's hardware. I was told she had a hock break so I had a big OMG what's wrong with her leg moment until I figured out it was a hunk of metal.

1llYe0ml.jpg

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Sweep loves her "pup tent"! It is so lightweight and has always been super handy when we've stayed in a vacation rental where we're required to crate her. Tonight might be the first night I actually have to zip it shut though; she's starting to get bored and restless. That means the muzzle or homemade BiteNot too. :shakefinger

53 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

Way to go Sweep! Elevating an injury is always helpful. What a great tent you've got!

I can see Wiki's hardware. I was told she had a hock break so I had a big OMG what's wrong with her leg moment until I figured out it was a hunk of metal.

1llYe0ml.jpg

Oh wow, thank you for sharing this. After reading up on it, I've already warned my husband that her screws could poke through one day. (Let's hope not.)

51 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Now you know she is on the mend :pepper :pepper 

After so many bad stories (including my own) I can not tell you how happy it makes me to see Sweep doing so well :beatheart :beatheart

Thank you. :grouphug I do not take for granted how lucky we have been so far. She had a bit of a rough night with a long panting spell (I think she gets anxious when she has to pee, since it's a much bigger production now), so to see her relaxed enough to roach today was just the best. 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Sweep upside down = Awesome!

(Will help with drainage too. :lol )

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

4 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

I have been waiting for this. :yay 

9-AB956-C7-4150-481-D-AEB4-90468-AAF729-

Good girl Sweep.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I love it!  Chilling in her pup tent with that great cheesy grin.  :yay 

(I think she gets anxious when she has to pee, since it's a much bigger production now)

This made me laugh and commissurate at the same time...I had an exquisitely painful spell right before my first hip replacement and I remember one afternoon sitting at my desk with tears in my eyes as I realized that I needed to go to the bathroom, a long, long hallway away.  It will all get better, Sweep.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

so glad to see she's doing well!  :kiss2 :kiss2 keep up the good healing Sweep! :grouphug 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm glad Sweep seems to have come through her ordeal with flying colors!  :yay

Andi broke her hock - one more set of bones down! - the first weekend in November at an LGRA meet.  Fortunately for us, there were two very experienced vet techs there running their dogs and the got her leg stabilized and wrapped within 15 minutes, and she was at the evet 25 minutes later.

We were very lucky that the orthopedic surgeon on duty that day was one of the best "sports injury" docs in the area.  He even stayed way past the end of his shift to do Andi's surgery that evening.  

Anyway, he said that greyhounds "usually" break their own legs!  It's not the surface, or the extra pressure of going into the curve - it's because their muscles are literally too strong for their bones to handle!  :eek   The bone can't hold up against the torc put on it between the muscular force of those big thighs and glutes and the ground.

I would think that upper thigh area would be very difficult to cast.  Anything would get I  the way of the leg swinging and probably make peeing and pooping extremely difficult.  Andi got some Trazadone, along with an nsaid and pain med, to help keep her quiet for the 8 weeks she was in her cast.  I have to say, it was very helpful once she started feeling better and wanted to move around more!

She's been out of the cast now since January, but we're still doing mostly leash walks outside as the surgeon says no "explosive" action!  Her reevaluation isn't until May and were all very much over leash walking now!!!

She's got a plate and screws similar to Sweeps holding her bones together.  And I can really see them through the skin of her lower leg!

Continued healing for Sweep and much patience for you!  :bighug

50588541587_8243333f14_n.jpg2343 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

You can see the outline of the plate along the top of the front leg/ankle.

50801851126_3db1a1bbf9.jpg20210104_154511 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

18 hours ago, greysmom said:

Anyway, he said that greyhounds "usually" break their own legs!  It's not the surface, or the extra pressure of going into the curve - it's because their muscles are literally too strong for their bones to handle!  :eek   The bone can't hold up against the torc put on it between the muscular force of those big thighs and glutes and the ground.

My husband was so happy when I read this to him because that was his theory all along. :lol Thank you for sharing. I imagine it's been quite the challenge to keep a three-year-old calm. Andi, keep up the good work!

23 hours ago, greysmom said:

When Cora broke her leg, the senior vet at the practice, who does a lot of orthopedic work, said something similar about Greyhounds having "ballerina legs."

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:yay:pepper

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

:yay :confetti :yay

:dogcookie:dogcookie:dogcookie

:bighug