Sweep's having surgery 3/10 *Update, now 3/11*

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home sweet home. And no cast! :huh She walked to her water bowl unassisted and drank a ton and is now snoozing. I'll sleep on the couch next to her this weekend and I am taking Monday off to be with her (I work from home anyway, but this means I won't have any distractions). Baby steps.

51030377551_7a715bec6d_z.jpg

51029649848_4aed3b7a7a_z.jpg

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

No cast is amazing.  Sweep, you look mahvelous! 

Get well riteawayquik! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I don't think my cat had a cast, either, it was bandaged up and they were changed every week or so.

Years ago, my sister had a complex tib-fib fracture, I think they said the cast wouldn't do anything more that the hardware was doing.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Pink vetrap :wub: 

Soo glad she’s home! Everyone will sleep much better tonight. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Good morning, Sweeparina!

That's quite the Brazilian :yikes

Pink vetrap

Yes, coordinated with her collar.  That's the kind of attention to detail we want to see in our vets.  

Glad she's back, safe.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

1 hour ago, EllenEveBaz said:

That's quite the Brazilian :yikes

:spoot Thank you for that, Ellen! :lol 

All's going as well as it can. Getting in and out for potty breaks is no fun for anyone, but we're managing. She finally ate a little scrambled egg (hand-fed, naturally) last night and then again this morning with some oatmeal and chicken, so we're able to get her meds into her. She was only prescribed an antibiotic and Gabapentin, which sort of surprised me, but we're allowed to give her Previcox too. I've been using the Assisi Loop on her along with my handy bag of frozen peas a few times a day.

Befores and afters (I stand corrected: nine screws in a fourteen-hole plate)

51032463577_ba32f67618.jpg

51032463507_f1cd042a36.jpg

51032463537_3cd2e6e963.jpg

51032463522_ae5f046fea.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

And a x-ray bomb by a nice straight tail! :P Glad she is beginning to eat.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I'm glad she's home and eating something.  That's right where Wiki's hardware is too and it doesn't slow her down at all.  They can be metal leg twins!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

21 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

We pick her up in 15 minutes! They said she's doing well but not eating today so maybe her stomach is bothering her from yesterday. I am sure being home will help!

Thank you. It's so helpful to hear someone else's experience, and that's amazing that Shine had no limp! I might be PMing you for advice if that's okay.

Of course.  If I can help.  My one suggestion, if her cast is large is to purchase a MediPaw boot.  It costs about $50, but worth it.  I put it on every time I leash walked her.  It keeps the cast dry and protected.  The people at the company are very knowledgeable and will sell you the correct product.  Our vet sold us the wrong boot and it leaked.  I called the company to ask about it and they replaced it at no charge, even though it wasn't their error.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Shine did have a very big cast.  I think her break was further down the ankle and she had screws and wires too.  Sweep looks great!  So I answered above before I read the newer postings.  I guess you won't need a boot or bandage cover.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

15 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

I'm glad she's home and eating something.  That's right where Wiki's hardware is too and it doesn't slow her down at all.  They can be metal leg twins!

I love this. Sweep and Lila were "hole projekt and snoot shovel" twins, so she and Wiki can share this bond. Was Wiki's a racing injury?

51 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

:yikes Wow Sweep, that is quite the break! How did you do that? 
so glad she is home and starting to eat a little. Hoping for a quick and drama free recovery :candle

My husband was out with her and they were prepping to go for a walk. She got super excited and did a couple of laps in our small yard. Full speed, sudden sharp turn. We're still crossing everything that it was just a freak accident.

Edited by ramonaghan

10 minutes ago, Houndtime said:

Shine did have a very big cast.  I think her break was further down the ankle and she had screws and wires too.  Sweep looks great!  So I answered above before I read the newer postings.  I guess you won't need a boot or bandage cover.

Thanks. I was so surprised she's completely uncovered. But it does make evaluating her bruising and stitches very easy. She already looks a little better today.

20 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

I love this. Sweep and Lila were "hole projekt and snoot shovel" twins, so she and Wiki can share this bond. Was Wiki's a racing injury?

Our girls seem to have lots of connections. :wub:  Although this one isn't as fun as hole-peeing-snoot-shovelers.

I don't think Wiki's was a racing injury, she came in 4th in her last race and there are no notes about a fall or anything, but I don't know when or how it happened. Knowing how Sweep's similar injury happened is helpful. She does run like a nut and makes really tight turns so it seems plausible that's what happened to her too.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Sweep's leg looks great. Nice repair too.

I've forgotten how many plates, screws, and wires Cora had. She didn't have a cast either and she too walked right away. She stayed at the clinic for a while because they like to do the initial rehab, so I don't have experience with the very early days.

:goodluck for a nice smooth recovery.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

MoMo's break was a front leg, but looked similar to Sweep's in that the bone was displaced as in your x-ray.  Plates and screws for Mo.  She did have a cast and about 6 weeks of leash walking and "keep her quite" orders.  She lived 8 years with her plate and screws and did beautifully.  I could actually see the outline of the plate in her slender front leg.  None of her hardware ever gave her a bit of trouble so I'll hope the same happy outcome for Sweep.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

14 hours ago, GreyPoopon said:

Sweep's leg looks great. Nice repair too.

I've forgotten how many plates, screws, and wires Cora had. She didn't have a cast either and she too walked right away. She stayed at the clinic for a while because they like to do the initial rehab, so I don't have experience with the very early days.

:goodluck for a nice smooth recovery.

3 hours ago, LBass said:

MoMo's break was a front leg, but looked similar to Sweep's in that the bone was displaced as in your x-ray.  Plates and screws for Mo.  She did have a cast and about 6 weeks of leash walking and "keep her quite" orders.  She lived 8 years with her plate and screws and did beautifully.  I could actually see the outline of the plate in her slender front leg.  None of her hardware ever gave her a bit of trouble so I'll hope the same happy outcome for Sweep.

Thank you! Interesting how much variation there is in terms of cast/no cast, bandage or none, type and number of pain meds, time at clinic post-op, etc.

I wonder if I'll be able to see Sweep's plate too. :unsure I am glad to know the hardware didn't cause MoMo any trouble. I have been wondering about that since it's in a skinny greyhound leg. Looks like they are leaving the fibula to mend itself.

Miss Sweep decided this morning she was over being assisted with a towel sling and got herself up and across the house to the back door to go out. We actually had to go after her with the leash. A little better every day, just as they said. She is still quite bruised, so I might try some Arnica gel today but otherwise we're feeling great about her progress.

Thank you all for the encouragement and for sharing your experiences. I am sure I'll have questions over the next few days and weeks!