Sweep's having surgery 3/10 *Update, now 3/11*

Sweep, the sweep-heart, as long as you have the good drugs, you'll be okay! Our kitty had to wait to get a leg repaired, too, I think it was better cos some  of the swelling went down. :kiss2

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping for the best for Sweep. And you. Waiting is hard. :grouphug 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Officially postponed til tomorrow. Which means she finally got to eat, and by the sound of it, she did so with her usual gusto. I also found out they did a blood panel and chest x-rays last night, and all was good. The surgeon I spoke with this afternoon studied at Ohio State; she didn't know Dr. Couto personally but has been around a lot of greyhounds and couldn't believe Sweep is 11.5. My girl. :wub: Thank you all again; it helps so much.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

• ramonaghan changed the title to Sweep's having surgery 3/10 *Update, now 3/11*

Surgery will be early this afternoon and they'll call me just before and just after. Thank you for bakandforthing with me. :hope

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

What a way to spend your b-day! The best present will be a sweet girl back home!:heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

4 minutes ago, palmettobug said:

What a way to spend your b-day! The best present will be a sweet girl back home!:heart

Well spotted. :P Yes, that's the only thing on my wish list: good news and my girl back home asap.

The surgeon just called and the surgery went very well. The bone looked normal and she was able to get something like 14 screws in. :yikes They did do a biopsy for safety's sake and of course won't commit to a 100% certain answer, but all signs are very encouraging. She is bruising a lot so she's getting Amicar, but that's not unusual as we all know. All going well overnight, we'll hear from them mid-morning and pick her up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of you for the support and good thoughts. Best birthday gift ever. Just wish they'd gotten to it yesterday so she could be home with us tonight! 

13 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

The surgeon just called and the surgery went very well. The bone looked normal and she was able to get something like 14 screws in. :yikes They did do a biopsy for safety's sake and of course won't commit to a 100% certain answer, but all signs are very encouraging. She is bruising a lot so she's getting Amicar, but that's not unusual as we all know. All going well overnight, we'll hear from them mid-morning and pick her up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of you for the support and good thoughts. Best birthday gift ever. Just wish they'd gotten to it yesterday so she could be home with us tonight! 

:yay:yay:yay  Way to go, Sweep!  So glad to hear that surgery went well.  Give that pretty girl a big kiss and some ear rubs from all of us. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

just seeing this!  Sending TONS of hugs and prayers Sweep's and your way! :hope :hope :hope 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:yay :yay

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm very relieved that Sweep's surgery went well and the bone looked normal. I hope she heals quickly and well. Fracture recovery takes a while (BTDT with Cora), but not as long as without all that hardware.

:kiss2 Sweep.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

5 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

The bone looked normal and she was able to get something like 14 screws in. :yikes 

With that much hardware she’ll set off metal detectors for blocks around! Hope the upcoming days go as smoothly as possible for you all.

how is Sweep doing today?  :hope :kiss2 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Shine had plates, screws and wires when she shattered her ankle.  She didn't even limp when she walked after the surgery.  I am sure that they will tell you, but the issue now becomes the cast.  She can get sores from it.  Shine did cast changes every two weeks and our vet's office was super with it.  She didn't even have a bruise.  Good luck Sweep.  You are a good girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

35 minutes ago, RaineysMom said:

how is Sweep doing today?  :hope :kiss2 

We pick her up in 15 minutes! They said she's doing well but not eating today so maybe her stomach is bothering her from yesterday. I am sure being home will help!

5 minutes ago, Houndtime said:

Shine had plates, screws and wires when she shattered her ankle.  She didn't even limp when she walked after the surgery.  I am sure that they will tell you, but the issue now becomes the cast.  She can get sores from it.  Shine did cast changes every two weeks and our vet's office was super with it.  She didn't even have a bruise.  Good luck Sweep.  You are a good girl.

Thank you. It's so helpful to hear someone else's experience, and that's amazing that Shine had no limp! I might be PMing you for advice if that's okay.