£$%** Corns

Aaaargh!!!

Grace has always suffered with one or two corns but the little blighters seem to have declared war on my poor Grace's feet. She now has one on each of three toes of her front left foot, two on one toe and one on another toe of her right foot and one on each of her back feet. Eight in total... and that's despite her wearing padded boots when walking on hard surfaces and being taken by car to the park.

Before you ask I have tried duct tape, aloe vera, Burt's Bees Hand Salve, bee propolis, soaking in Epsom salts, Bazuka (used on human corns) and when she had her foot abscess removed the vet also removed her then one and only corn. That is now the biggest one she's got. She used to let me grind them down with a nail grinder when I did her claws. Now she won't let me and gets extremely agitated when I try.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I have no solutions to offer, only much sympathy for both of you.  My dear MoMo was a "CornDog"--multiple pads on all feet.  Nothing much helped.  She did let me grind them.  :grouphug 

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Unless you're going to try the Flexor Tenotomy surgery (which *appears* to be curative, though at the exprense of cause a sprung toe), corns are really all about management.  You have to find something that works for you and your dog to give them at least a semblance of mobility, and that isn't a horror to accomplish.

You can find lots of info, both on the surgery and management strategies on FB - Greyhounds with Corns, is the name of the group.  It's worth joining FB just for that page.  Some of the new things people are trying with varying degrees of success are painting the corn with nail varnish, colloidal silver application, and the cimetidine cure (high doses of cimetidine given daily over a long period of time).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Wish I had something to offer besides sympathy. Duct tape seemed the only relief for Sol, albeit temporary. Primarily let me peel a few layers of & primarily get the corn surface lower than the rest of the pad. Took a couple weeks & only brought short term relief.  Better than nothing but an ongoing challenge & overall rather disappointing. :(

4 hours ago, greysmom said:

Unless you're going to try the Flexor Tenotomy surgery (which *appears* to be curative, though at the exprense of cause a sprung toe), corns are really all about management.  You have to find something that works for you and your dog to give them at least a semblance of mobility, and that isn't a horror to accomplish.

You can find lots of info, both on the surgery and management strategies on FB - Greyhounds with Corns, is the name of the group.  It's worth joining FB just for that page.  Some of the new things people are trying with varying degrees of success are painting the corn with nail varnish, colloidal silver application, and the cimetidine cure (high doses of cimetidine given daily over a long period of time).

the cimetidine route was the ONLY thing that help our Larry's corns.  We bought generic (Walgreen's) brand as it's quite expensive.  We stopped it due to unrelated issues and from there just ground them down.  It seemed like whenever I had them hulled, they'd come back 2 times as large each time so I stopped doing that (plus it was $30 every single time and they needed to be done every 6 weeks of so!).  Good luck, I know how much they suck.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks for all your support. The original post was more a cry of frustration than anything else but I wouldn't change her for any other dog.

She is quite happy to go for a walk barefoot on grass as long as it isn't frozen or baked hard and she is happy for me to put her boots on, even holding her foot up ready :D

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Phog had the flexor tenetomy surgery last October - I’ve posted on gt about our experience....he had the new surgery that goes thru the back of the leg above the paw and it was very reasonable (he had 3 legs and 4 paws done poor guy!). I would do it again in a nano second!   If you can’t find my posts thru search pm me and I’ll happily answer any questions u have

2 hours ago, teri_d said:

Phog had the flexor tenetomy surgery last October - I’ve posted on gt about our experience....he had the new surgery that goes thru the back of the leg above the paw and it was very reasonable (he had 3 legs and 4 paws done poor guy!). I would do it again in a nano second!   If you can’t find my posts thru search pm me and I’ll happily answer any questions u have

That's rough, but glad it helped. However, am picturing your pup with two paws on one leg. It's... confusing. :P

Just a quick follow up.

I'm not sure if it's the power of Grey Talk or the healing value of the liquid mud and the soggy decomposing leaf litter of my local park, we've had a lot of rain recently, but since the OP two of Grace's corns have disappeared and the others have shrunk a little. :yay

• 1 month later...

I know this is a late post, but if you're still needing something for the corn, pick up some Greyhound Corn & Callus Cream and Hyaluronic Acid from Murray Apothecary at https://maapgh.com/greyhound-corn-cream.html. My greyhound Leo started limping two years ago and his vet couldn't figure out what it was. Once I identified the corn, she would hull it, but the hulling didn't make any difference, so I scoured the interwebs until I found information about the corn cream, bought it, and started using it. It's not cheap, but you don't need much and the jar's lasted two years. I would apply it twice a day per the instructions, and later bought a Therapaw boot that alleviated the limping while treating it. Since 2019 there have been a number of occurrences, with the corn cream working to the extent that he could walk bootless and pain-free, only to have the corn come back and the treatment start again...until FINALLY it's truly gone for good! (We have other issues, of course, because he's a ten year old greyhound, but the corn is not one of them!) Anyway, it works! Hope this helps someone!