Best training commands to start with?

MrsC

I'm back already for more advice 😂

Our newly adopted boy is just under 2 years old. We only brought him home 3 days ago so it's still early days. I'd really like to start teaching him a few useful commands ASAP.. Is this a good idea? He's already responded pretty well to 'leave it' so I'm looking to add a few more. We never needed to do this with our previous greyhound as she literally never moved 😂

I absolutely understand he's still settling in and it all takes time, but he seems to really enjoy five or ten minutes of training and I'm hoping it'll serve us well in the long run. 

And hints and tips would be amazing. Is it even possible to train a greyhound to sit? I'd really like to try and teach him to go to eventually go to his bed too. 

Many thanks in advance! 

A reliable recall is essential.  Then the usual down, stay, place.  Leave it is a good first choice. Two of my Greys have dropped live birds using ‘Leave it’. Teaching then to not bolt out of an open door is another essential.  I use ‘wait’ for that. 

Congrats on your new boy!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Congreytulations on your new boy!  At under age 2, he's still a puppy.  Double congreytulations that he's interested in training -- it's not something sighthounds are famous for.  :lol  Have you named him yet?  Teaching him to look at you when you say his name is a good basic command.  

I agree with the suggestions above.  Just the other day, I dropped a bratwurst and Milo, super scavenger that he is, had scarfed it up before I even had time to reach for it.  He was choking, trying to swallow the burning hot sausage down whole, lengthwise.  I am not known for my coolness under pressure, and grabbed his house collar and was screaming DROP IT DROP IT DROP IT DROP IT DROP IT.  He did drop it, although probably more because he couldn't breathe than following a command.  

One of my first commands is OUT.  (As in out of the kitchen, get away from the frying bratwursts, out of my way.)  Dogs can comprehend pointing fingers, so I point in the direction I want them to go and push them there with my legs when I'm teaching them.  They all pick it up quickly, and I usually just have to say the command once they've learned.  

Here's a link to an old thread on teaching SIT that gives a lot of different viewpoints and links to explicit instructions:  Teaching Sit thread 2014

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I have a new girl, she just turned 8 but is only a few months into living in a home. She is really smart but absolutely loses her mind when there is food around and has no idea how to learn anything. In an effort to teach her how to learn, and following the lead of zookeeper friends, the first thing I taught her was to target. I just use my hand held flat, palm toward her but you can also use a closed fist. Because there are treats around it is natural for her to sniff my hand. When she does I say "touch" then treat her with the other hand. She got that very quickly then I upped the difficulty by moving my hand high or low, using the other hand. She's great at it after a week of just one training session a day. But I still can't lure her into a down. :lol:

Good luck, training can be fun for both you and the dog.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

But I still can't lure her into a down. 

Jerilyn, have you tried the footstool method? It's the  method for humans with bad knees.  :)  You sit in a chair and put your feet on a footstool/other chair.  Get the dog on one side of your legs, and hold a treat down near the floor on the other side.  You want the dog to go under your legs.  Praise/reward/clicker for each movement that gets the dog closer to belly on the floor. 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

1 hour ago, Remolacha said:

Also “move please” as I live in a small house :lol 

Lord, yes! Jenny will lean on your legs and not let you walk unless you say , “Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me” as you shuffle your feet in the direction you want to go. 🤪

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

1 hour ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Jerilyn, have you tried the footstool method? It's the  method for humans with bad knees.  :)  You sit in a chair and put your feet on a footstool/other chair.  Get the dog on one side of your legs, and hold a treat down near the floor on the other side.  You want the dog to go under your legs.  Praise/reward/clicker for each movement that gets the dog closer to belly on the floor. 

Yes! Per Lucy's suggestion with a baby gate mounted in a doorway. Utter failure. She did every except make any motions towards laying down. :wacko: I'm working on loading the clicker then I think I'm just going to have to try to capture it. She always does a beautiful sphynx down in the hall when I'm in the bathroom. Guess I can just keep the clicker in there.... :lol:  

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

COME

then it's up to you- stay/leave it both very very important

those are to me the first commands i teach, everything else is icing on the cake. keep your dog on lead- a thin 6ft leash(it can be light weight rope w/ a clasp tied on) and first work inside. 2-3 min a training session repeated 3xs a day with high quality treats  will not bore you or the dog . work your way up from there and add other commands.