How Much Does Your Vet Charge for Dentals?

Since hound owners on Greytalk are from all over the place, I'd like to get an idea as to how much your vet charges for a dental, to include sedation for anesthesia, IV catheterization, anesthesia, IV fluid, hospitalization, disposable materials, biohazard fee, chemical blood panel, I/H CBC panel, and I/H add-on Lyte 4 (all the things that are listed on my dental estimate). In other words, the total fee.

My new vet bought my former vet's business recently (clients and building), so I expected prices to be a bit higher, but the estimate I got yesterday shocked me (over $650) because it is much higher than my former vet's fee a year ago ($221 but didn't include some of the above listed items).

Sheba is 13 years old, so I can understand needing bloodwork done before proceeding with the dental, but the total estimate seems quite high.

What do you pay for a dental?

Some of it depends in the market/location.  Granted my experience was years ago but then a country vet in the Texas panhandle (who was Texas A&M alumnus of the year later) was $200 and $10 per extraction.  In Dallas two  years later I seem to remember $500 and $50 per extraction.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Mine is included in our Paw Plan. It's not insurance, but it covers all shots, one dental per year, wellness checks, CBC, spay/neuter, and at least a 20% discount on any other services. It's $65 a month, which is less than what one dental costs. 

ETA: I paid $1300 for Chase 10 years ago... he ended up needing seven extractions. 

Edited by savvyPRchick
Added info

1615264629_GreyTalkSignature(3).jpg.a7b6b720dfaa68415ff2b88c61e6bb72.jpg

Two furless kids, and Kota, the Doberman, cat littermates Kissy and Skully, and the chicken flock: Princess, Sunflower, Luna, Ember, Rose, Dolly, and Clementine.
Missing Rainbow Bridgers: Chase (J's Fear Not), Lulu (former coyote hunting puppy), and Skah (the deaf Great Pyrenees). Waiting on our next foster-fail Greyhound.

All animal pictures all the time at: instagram/greytpets

I guess I just entered into the real world and my $650+ dental estimate is the norm and not the exception. At least my $450 Embrace wellness insurance reimbursement will cover a large part of the bill, but then I will have used up my wellness reimbursement alotment for the annual premium year, which becomes effective March 2, 2021-March 1, 2022. 

Thanks everyone for my enlightenment.

Consider $650 a bargain!  I live in the Washington DC metro area and last year Ivy's dental (with 7 extractions) was $1400.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.