Skipping breakfast and paw licking

Missy

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and not sure where my question belongs. I have an 8 year old grey named Stormy. For the past few weeks she has not wanted to eat breakfast. She will eat every other meal of the day (usually). She seems to wake up with an upset tummy. Has quite a bit of gurgling and will go outside to eat grass. I took her in to see the vet. They did bloodwork and everything came back normal. They have her on a probiotic and antacid (Prilosec). She seemed to be doing better for a few days until this morning when. She vomited all her food up minutes after eating. She then proceeded to eat it (yuck). Her kibble was whole so it didn't look like she chewed it. Another issue is I've noticed her licking her back paw quite a bit. We live in the northeast where there is snow ice and salt on the roads. I'm not sure what's going on with her. Any help or suggestions would be greyt. Thank you! -Missy

Paw licking can be a sign of steers or boredom. Though when my dogs did that it was the front feet/legs. It can also be a sign of pain, not necessarily in the pass she’s licking. Have had two dogs with spinal arthritis and, suspected neuropathic pain. Both licked their back feet until started on medication, NSAID & gabapentin. But in both cases it was both back paws effected. 
Have had a couple Greys, including my current girl, who get a sour stomach if they go too long without food. Giving a bedtime snack seemed the best way to avoid the morning gacks. Sometimes giving a small yummy treat first thing in the morning can kickstart their appetite. Though sometimes my Su shuns even the best items. And sometimes that treat does reappear when she hacks it up. 
Some GI parasites can cause stomach upset & hookworms in Greys can be notorious for evading tests & sometimes treatment. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Stormy is my first greyhound and although I've had her for 4 years now, I'm still learning a lot. I will definitely try the late night snack! As for her paw goes, I'll keep an eye on it and obviously if it continues I'll take her back to the vet. It always helps to talk to other greyhound owners ❤️

Does she have her kibble dry or with water? She might have just eaten her food too quickly and swallowed that much air it made her sick.

If it's just one paw she's licking it could have been damaged by the ice and the salt into the cut wouldn't help. There is a chance she's developing a corn. Grace often licks the paw with corns after a walk.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I mix her food with water due to issues with her teeth. She can't have dry kibble. It has to be softened. Yes. She's only licking that one paw. How do you know if it's a corn or she's developing one? Does the pad look different or is it something you can't see? Thank you!

17 hours ago, Missy said:

I mix her food with water due to issues with her teeth. She can't have dry kibble. It has to be softened. Yes. She's only licking that one paw. How do you know if it's a corn or she's developing one? Does the pad look different or is it something you can't see? Thank you!

The usual first sign is limping on hard surfaces but not on soft although I don't think it's as obvious on the back feet. A small dark dot appears first which is easier to see if the pad is brushed with a damp toothbrush then as it grows it becomes a hard lump. The chances are she's trodden on something sharp or salt from the road has irritated a cut.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 1 month later...

She started limping about 4 days ago. I took her to see her vet but as of now we are still not sure what the issue is. She seems to walk fine on the grass and the area rugs in the house. When she's on the pavement or hardwood floor I notice it more. Other than this she's fine. Just a bit depressed because I'm not taking her for her long walks 😢

You might want to join this Facebook page for more into on corns. That your girl limps on hard surfaces but not grass or rugs could be an indicator.

Licking could be a springtime allergy starting up. One of my dogs gets the Cytopoint injection (as needed every few months) and the other is on Apoquel pills.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

17 hours ago, Missy said:

She started limping about 4 days ago. I took her to see her vet but as of now we are still not sure what the issue is. She seems to walk fine on the grass and the area rugs in the house. When she's on the pavement or hardwood floor I notice it more. Other than this she's fine. Just a bit depressed because I'm not taking her for her long walks 😢

I agree with macoduck, it looks like she's a corn sufferer. There are plenty of suggestions on how to help her and I hope you find one that works meantime if possible only walk her on grass.

I find the large size of Vibrant Fellow Paw Protector Dog Boots fit Grace but they might be only available in the UK. I put a baby sock over her foot first to provide a bit extra padding and as it keeps her toes together it's easier to slip the boot on.

Thank you so much. I will check it out and see if I can get her some of those boots. She has a re check with our vet on the 16th. The problem is she's not that familiar with greyhounds and tends to overlook things when it comes to my girl. Thank you again 🤗

20 hours ago, Missy said:

Thank you so much. I will check it out and see if I can get her some of those boots. She has a re check with our vet on the 16th. The problem is she's not that familiar with greyhounds and tends to overlook things when it comes to my girl. Thank you again 🤗

Don't let her surgically remove the corn as it will probably come back bigger. Grace's largest corn, she has multiple corns, is the one the vet removed while she was having surgery to remove an abscess from between her toes. He thought he was doing her a favour by removing it. Do your own research and Google greyhound corns

Thank you! Ive been reading about greyhound corns and it doesn't seem like having them surgically removed will do them any good. Any suggestions as to how to make her more comfortable? My vet isn't the best with addressing my concerns and at this point I've been waiting a week for a return phone call. Trying to find her a new vet but due to the pandemic no vet clinics in my state are accepting new patients. It's very frustrating to say the least 😢

19 hours ago, Missy said:

Thank you! Ive been reading about greyhound corns and it doesn't seem like having them surgically removed will do them any good. Any suggestions as to how to make her more comfortable? My vet isn't the best with addressing my concerns and at this point I've been waiting a week for a return phone call. Trying to find her a new vet but due to the pandemic no vet clinics in my state are accepting new patients. It's very frustrating to say the least 😢

I take Grace by car to the local park so she doesn't have to walk on hard surfaces only on the grass. I put Bert's Bees Hand Salve on her corns, then a baby sock and then her boots if we're going for a walk on the road. I've also cut out a little insole for her boots from a thin human insole to provide a little extra padding.

My vet used to be the vet at greyhound races so she's greyhound savvy but even she says there isn't much she can do and it's just a case of managing the condition. She'll hull the corn when it starts to protrude but grinding it down yourself is cheaper and easier using a dog nail grinder.

You have earned brownie points for adopting a rescue dog. You now have even more for adopting a rescue dog with a disability, which probably isn't what you signed up for, but inside you still have the same beautiful greyhound who just need a bit more looking after.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. She's such a sweet girl and I would do anything for her. Ive also started taking her to a local park for short walks so she doesn't have to walk on the pavement. I tried a sock and a boot over it but the boot slips off. I need to order her one that stays on. She's had numerous health issues throughout the 5 years she's been with me. Definitely did not expect this when I adopted her but wouldn't change it for the world. 

Maybe two layers of thick toddler socks would help. I did that for one of my dogs. A couple layers of thick tape on the bottom helped with wear and tear, but sock longevity was still an issue. It worked for us simply because he didn't have to walk on hard surfaces very often.

ETA:  Should have said he didn't have to walk on rough surfaces very often. Pavement and concrete does shred socks.

Edited by kudzu

My angel Larry had corns on 3 of 4 feet and couldn't have survived without his Therapaws (you can buy them online).  I have 9 still (all used) - where are you located?  If you are nearby I can give you a couple to try.

also, I would Dremmel his corns down to the pad level every week or so and that seemed to help.  I used to have the vet hull them out (using a dental root elevator) but I swear they would come back in worse and larger every time so I just did the Dremmeling for the last few years.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway