Jump to content

Open sores on both back legs


Recommended Posts

150177859_5532592386815215_8012488741212150421083_5559010857506701_4068197121520149744990_5559010877506699_6931536782445HI all, I'm new here.  I have a hound named Dakota.  He's 9 years old.  A few days ago we noticed an open sore on one of his back legs.  I could not get in to see my family vet due to bad weather.  I took him to the ER vet.  They cleaned up the wound, gave him antibiotics and a cone and said all would be okay.  Well, just now I saw another open wound on his other leg in the same spot.  Odd.  He doesn't seem to feel very well.  I can't get back to the regular vet due to the weather.  Plus, he's not open.  I've been putting chlorhexidine on the wounds.  He is wearing the cone.  If it's not on then he's licking on the sores.  I can't figure out what it is or what brought it on.  I think he might be in pain.  He's just sleeping all day...not frisky.  Not wanting to do his usual stuff.  Does anyone have an idea what it could be?  I can't get a picture to load.  It keeps stating the picture is too large.

 

Edited by Houndluvr
trying to add another picture
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he's not nibbling his legs due to intense itching to start the wounds, then it has to be either some kind of bug is biting him there or there's something he's grazing his legs on. Maybe his legs going down behind a gap in some steps or even something in the house, even in his bed.  I think you're going to need to turn detective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree.  It's so odd that it's in the same spot on both legs.  Could it possibly be from his laziness of sleeping all day? His legs rubbing together in the same spot.  I can't seem to attach a picture.  All of them are too large.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could he have whacked his legs on the fireplace hearth or similar?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Punkin. Annie. Miss M.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, Knot Like The Others.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look up the side effects of the antibiotic that he is on. His tummy can be off from it. If you have probiotics and or PECID ac on hand that will help if his stomach is off. 

Did they do a scraping to see if It's bacterial or a fungus? Has he always been bald around the scabs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Houndluvr said:

I can't get a picture to load.  It keeps stating the picture is too large.

If you haven't got a photo editor download GIMP https://www.gimp.org

For instructions on how to reduce the photo size go to https://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=282942&p=1888162 and scroll down to where it says Reducing Images with GIMP. Reduce you picture file size to under 61kB

Grace (Ardera Coleen) born 18 June 2014
Raced at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton UK - 68 Races, 9 wins, 5 second places
Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your photos are working fine now.  That's quite a big area of affected skin. It could be from an autoimmune response or I still think it may be a reaction to bug or even spider bites.  You could maybe for now clean the wound area with Hibiscrub or similar and wrap the wound with some high strength Manuka Honey. If you just do the worst leg you'll soon see if it starts to make it better.   Just as with humans, these skin problems can be a nightmare to fix; but your vet should have seen hundreds of them and have a good idea of what stands the best chance of working.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always thought Manuka honey was 21C snake oil. IT IS REMARKABLE! Dr dog had over 50 stitches, Manuka honey as prescribed by the vet(medical grade) did wonders. But to check out things a little more thoroughly first. It is strange that it is symmetrical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still have no clue what it is.  He developed the same exact sore on his other rear leg in the same location. Odd.  They never told me if it's bacterial or fungus.  He's been wearing his lamp shade well.  He's still taking his antibiotics.  He seems to feel better today.  The sore still looks the same.  When I go to put chlorhexidine on it and pat it dry there is some blood.  It does not seem to bother him if you fool with it.  Could it be dry skin?  Just weird that he could get the same thing on the other leg.  Maybe it's the way he sleeps on the floor.  Those 2 legs rub together at that point.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, JohnF said:

If he's not nibbling his legs due to intense itching to start the wounds, then it has to be either some kind of bug is biting him there or there's something he's grazing his legs on. Maybe his legs going down behind a gap in some steps or even something in the house, even in his bed.  I think you're going to need to turn detective.

I don't think it's a bug bite.  But who knows.  Just odd it's in 2 places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2021 at 5:45 PM, 1Moregrey said:

Could it be from walking in the snow drifts?  Where I am at there is a sharp layer of ice on top that might cause a scrape.

We've had a lot of snow here.  It's mostly powdery.....some ice underneath.  I hadn't thought of that.  It might be possible.  Hmmmm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 12:28 AM, HeyRunDog said:

If you haven't got a photo editor download GIMP https://www.gimp.org

For instructions on how to reduce the photo size go to https://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=282942&p=1888162 and scroll down to where it says Reducing Images with GIMP. Reduce you picture file size to under 61kB

Thanks so much for this info.  I appreciate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 6:19 AM, JohnF said:

Your photos are working fine now.  That's quite a big area of affected skin. It could be from an autoimmune response or I still think it may be a reaction to bug or even spider bites.  You could maybe for now clean the wound area with Hibiscrub or similar and wrap the wound with some high strength Manuka Honey. If you just do the worst leg you'll soon see if it starts to make it better.   Just as with humans, these skin problems can be a nightmare to fix; but your vet should have seen hundreds of them and have a good idea of what stands the best chance of working.

 

He's been wearing a lamp shade and tolerating it well.  He's still on his antibiotic.  It still looks the same. The sore on the other leg looks better.  Dried up somewhat.  I have been putting the chlorhexidine on it several times a day and just letting dry.  No bandages.  If it's not better by next week I plan on taking him to my regular vet.  I wasn't too impressed by the ER vet.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

I always thought Manuka honey was 21C snake oil. IT IS REMARKABLE! Dr dog had over 50 stitches, Manuka honey as prescribed by the vet(medical grade) did wonders. But to check out things a little more thoroughly first. It is strange that it is symmetrical.

I've never heard of it before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Houndluvr said:

I've never heard of it before.

It is a proven remedy for difficult wounds.  Get vet grade Manuka honey or look for the highest strength (eg. 20) you can find in a store.  You apply it to a suitable bandage, then apply the bandage to the wound and use elastic vet wrap to hold it in place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, depending on the strength of the chlorhexadine it can be an irritant.  We have some wipes that are 4% and can't be used more than every few days.  In between I spray colloidal silver on whatever it is that I'm treating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...