Irritation between toes

Roman has some kind of irritation between the toes of his left front leg. IT doesn't affect his walking, but he's licked it into a sore. I've got stuff for cat hotspots, which I've used for greys before. Since he's a toe-walker (his toes are high and arched, not long and flattish), I'm wondering if it's a mechanical issue, not so much as he got something stuck in there. As in, he's rubbing the skin and hair of the toes together when he walks. Or perhaps the bones are rubbing? He did have a scab between his toes when he got here in September, but I can't remember which foot it was (I'm old, I have CRS).

I'll get a pic later, he does not like to hold still and you know hound feet are OFF LIMITS. :D Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It can be fungus-aka athletics foot! My eggs had it after a vacation at the beach. One had black gunk which my vet scrapped off the other a red hot patch. I used OTC fungicide AND MEDICATED foot powder. But do check with your vet. As soon as it healed in less than a week the licking subsided.

French green clay powder. I use it here for assorted skin issues, the dogs' and mine.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If you can call and talk with your vet, maybe send in a picture, and they can advise what OTC powder/clay/soak can help it would save a trip in - though he probably does need to be looked at, at some point, just to make sure.

It might have started out as a scrape or poke and got out of hand, or it could be a fungus, or many other things.  You could start with epsom salt soaks, which will help with a lot of things.

1 TBLSP of epsom salts dissolved in 1-1 1/2 C hot water.  Cool until tolerated.  Soak a washcloth in solution and wrap around the foot, cover with a plastic bag and secure to prevent leaking.  Make sure some of the solution gets in between the toes.  I know it's hard when they're foot-shy, but it will really help.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

I think we've had a wet winter, it is cold and rainy again this weekend. Charleston is famous for a few things, among them our humidity, LOL.

I need to refresh my first aid kit anyway, I'll put some anti-fungal cream in there, too. Thanks!