Bleeding Disorder

First the sauerkraut incident and now we found out (the hard way) that Abu has got the greyhound bleeding disorder. But we are fine now, found the right meds and still have an appointment with the university vet next week. I need more infornation (in a language I can understand well enough for med talk, most articles I found online are in English😟). I am working my way through them... slowly but steadily. 

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I think it's greyhound bleeding disorder. The blood clots but the clots dissolve after 3 - 5 days. 

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Do you mean Von Willebrand?  I had a grey I found out she had it and it could be an issue when she was being checked to be a blood donor.  For her it was not enough to keep her from donating they said just something to watch for if she got injured and would not stop bleeding it was due to VW.

She lived until close to 15 and never had an issue she did get a shoulder bite that needed stitches but was never bothered by.

Hope this helps a little.  Maybe someone else can tell you more specific information.

Is this the disorder that may lead to post operative bleeding? It has something to do with fibrinolysis, right? Clots form as needed, but then break apart too early, leading to excess bleeding. Is this what you are referring to? Only, I do not know the actual name for the disorder. If you had that, you would better be able to find information in German.

Maybe try hyperfibrinolysis or hyperfibrinolytic?

We have one who's a bleeder too.  It doesn't happen every time she's injured, but often enough that it's an issue.

From what I've been told, it's due to the unusual makeup of greyhound blood.  They have naturally low platelet counts and naturally high red blood cell counts.  High red blood cells help transport lots of oxygen around the body when racing and low platelets keep it moving and not sticking.  Platelets are what help form clots following an injury.  If there aren't enough platelets either the clots never form, or they form but are too weak to sustain a block vs the volume of the red blood cells.

This isn't exactly the same as Von Willibrand's disease, which can and does affect dogs.  It's more a mechanical failure rather than a lack of a specific protein in the blood.  Though you can and should test for VWD just to be sure.

There are several things that can help stop bleeding from this issue.  For surgery and other serious injuries, it's best to administer Amicar (brand name for aminocaproic acid) or tranexamic acid (I think that's how both are spelled).  These are both prescriptions here and have to be obtained from a pharmacy.   These come in a liquid form and are given orally.   If Felicity is going to have a dental or other planned surgery I start giving it to her about 4 or 5 days in advance, and for several days post-surgery.

I know you're into homeopathic treatments, so you should look into keeping several boxes of Yunan Baiyao on hand for minor injuries.  It's an herbal remedy - dried product in a capsule - that can either be sprinkled directly on a small injury to stop bleeding, or given internally to help clots form.  It also has some antibiotic properties to stop infection.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

17 hours ago, kudzu said:

Is this the disorder that may lead to post operative bleeding? It has something to do with fibrinolysis, right? Clots form as needed, but then break apart too early, leading to excess bleeding. Is this what you are referring to? Only, I do not know the actual name for the disorder. If you had that, you would better be able to find information in German.

Maybe try hyperfibrinolysis or hyperfibrinolytic?

Yes, that's it. His sister has it, too. So maybe It's a genetic thing?

@greysmom Thank you. I will look into Yunan Baiyao. Maybe we have it over here, too.

Ditto what Chris said about Yunan Baiyao. I haven't had instance where I needed it yet.

I have used an essential oil called Cistus. I rubbed a dropped on the gums of one of my boys after a bad dental, and another boy who had severe bruising of a type that Dr Couto said was rare.

I only get my Cistus from a line of animal-safe oils developed by a vet. Since Cistus is a single oil and not a blend, you might be able to find it at a homeopathic vet. If not, I can see in Dr Shelton has a vendor in Germany. 

https://animaleo.info/shop/cistus/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

@macoduck Thank you. I have a friend who works with essential oils a lot. I will ask her about cistus.