My grey has started peeing on the concrete - help!

So I brought home my adopted grey a week ago. We have a concreted back courtyard with a very small garden running around the edge. When she first got home, she pee'd on the garden bed without needing to be directed. We gave her lots of praise every time she used the garden to pee. However, over the last few days she's started peeing on the concrete. I've been ignoring her every time she pees on the concrete, with the hopes that she'll go in the garden next time and I can give her praise then. I've been washing down the concrete to try get rid of the smell. I've also tried to scatter feed over the concrete once, but it's been raining recently so will wait till the next sunny day to try scatter feeding again. I can't put her on a lead and direct her to the garden because the trees are at the perfect height that make it almost impossible for a person to walk through the garden (still plenty of space for dogs to roam through). I also can't take her for walks to pee because she doesn't seem to pee on the lead (i haven't seen her do it yet), and she's also started freezing as soon as leaving the house so walks to grassy areas to practice peeing on walks is out of the question for now. Any advice is much appreciated!

Can you go out with her and direct her to the spot you want her to pee at and block her from coming back onto the cement?  I have a turn out pen attached to my deck that when my new grey came I would take her down and block her in the area I wanted her to go in and say go potty hustle up and when she p&p she was told good girl.  As we went down stairs I also said down stairs.  Now that I have snow and it all looks and feels the same if she shows signs of wanting to go on the deck.  I tell her not on the deck go down stairs and she goes down to p&p.

you can also try and fill the space with old cardboard boxes of furniture whatever you can leave on the area you do not want her in while she gets settled in and learns her new routine.

Best wishes just time and patience.

If your garden is not overlooked you could have a pee where you want her to go yourself. This might encourage her to go there. I’ve lost count of the team wees we have had with Buddy but it usually works. Or you could capture some of your own in the house and sprinkle it where you want her to go. You’re right not to push her. Greyhounds are stubborn, and in my experience you have to be very subtle with getting them to do what you want as once they find out what that it, they will do the opposite :lol

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Good advice from MerseyGrey and also 1MoreGrey's about blocking the area with boxes.

You said she has started to freeze on walks too. That's normal for a greyhound and she will get over it. The first few days they are that overwhelmed with their new circumstances they just follow you blindly on the lead but as they get used to it they then start to question everything and freeze until it makes sense to them.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

😂 my partner has tried the pee in the garden trick a few times without much success but maybe it’s time for me to give it a crack too!

I feel so sad about her freezing on walks now. She’s so energetic indoors and super curious and would absolutely thrive out in the world once she feels better. I’ve thought about driving her somewhere away from roads to test her walking but don’t want to put her off getting in the car if it doesn’t go well. Or should I just wait until she feels comfortable to leave our driveway?