The sauerkraut method

Abu got bored on Tuesday evening and chewed his daddy's tablet pen and swallowed a metal pin. A call to the vet came up with this method of emergency first aid. Hubby was told to feed Abu a bowl of sauerkraut. It seems that dogs can't digest it properly and it wraps it's strands around the foreign object and the dog can pass it without trouble or getting hurt. That was exactly what happened to Abu. He passed the pin wrapped in partly digested cabbage strings yesterday and is absolutely fine.... not even a gas atrack due to the sauerkraut.

I sent hubby to get a new tin to store in case we will need in the future. 

Picture of the culprit because he is a cutie...

40379399rb.jpg

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Well that's a new one! Glad it worked out!

Abu :shakefinger

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Abu's got the look that says "Mm-mm. I like sauerkraut, what can I eat next"

Sauerkraut sales have just rocketed but I'm not sure the manufacturers would want Abu on their advertising team. Eat sauerkraut, you can't digest it and it has no gaseous emissions. :rofl

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I love it (and glad he's okay), but I'm a little nervous about giving Petey a taste lest he steal my sauerkraut.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Now Abu needs a hot dog, hold the mustard. :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Glad Abu is better, but my question is this.

Buying sauerkraut in a tin? As a German household, I would have expected you to have homemade sauerkraut on hand, made with a secret family recipe :-) 

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

7 hours ago, macoduck said:

Now Abu needs a hot dog, hold the mustard. :P

Who eats hot dogs with sauerkraut??? 🤔

6 hours ago, rsieg said:

Glad Abu is better, but my question is this.

Buying sauerkraut in a tin? As a German household, I would have expected you to have homemade sauerkraut on hand, made with a secret family recipe :-) 

That would be cool but sadly I'm not partial to my family's secret sauerkraut recipe. I have to ask my mum. I knew she was hiding something from me. 🤣 

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Sauerkraut and hot dog chili are awesome! Gotta have a potato-bread roll for the hot dog, it's sturdy enough for all the dressing.

I get the jarred stuff from Aldi (I think it's Bavarian style).

Johnny loved sauerkraut and cole slaw. The current crew would probably eat it to keep the other one from having it.:D

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

That is a fascinating approach and I'm so glad it worked for Abu.
Piper swallowed an embroidered scissor case with sewing needles stuck in it.  Off to the vet we went.  X-rays a couple of times during the day showed the needles progressing through his tummy, apparently still embedded in the cloth pouch.  When I went to pick Piper up, the vet offered me the once pretty little fabric pouch in a baggy.  Ick!  I loved it, but not enough to try to get it de-pooped for continued use.  :lol 

I'm going to share this great tip with the veterinarian who had me use a sugar bandage on Spirit's open abscess wound--healing in 2 weeks!

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

That's fascinating. So glad it worked. Will remember this & pass it this on to my sister as she had dogs more prone to eating stray objects. In the past I had dogs that might happily eat sauerkraut, but it sure wouldn't be Su. Now if corned beef and cabbage would work as well, we might have a winner. And if the dog didn't eat it, the humans certainly would. :lol (I don't like sauerkraut.)