Please help! Settled dog now not sleeping through night

Hi all. I am completely at the end of my tether and any help you can offer would be appreciated.

I've had my greyhound for 2 years and he is 5 years old. Up until about 6 months ago he slept perfectly fine though the night. Then he started getting up to go out the odd night. And slowly this had just become his normal.

We've been to the vet and had bloods, urine analysis and scans and they've told me all is normal. The vet said it is probably a habit now more than anything but I can't seem to break it. 

I actually think lockdown is what changed things. My partner is now working from home full time. I was home for about 3 months last March and then slowly went back to work and am now an essential worker. This seems to have been when the waking started.

Generally we go to bed between 11-1130 and always put the dog out then. He then has us up between 1.30-2 and around 5 to go out again. Sometimes he'll go back to bed at 5 if we persist but often he'll get up again soon anyway. 

This is really interfering with everything at the moment..my relationship, work and my well being. 

We make sure he gets up in the morning to go out and have been as routine with that as possible. He gets a walk every day but is prone to statueing, particularly if you take him in the morning, so it is usually just the one. I have tried adding a second wall but that didn't make a difference to him sleeping through the night. 

Just hoping someone can help me?

I don't think it's separation anxiety as sleeping in our room doesn't help. We did try some of those herbal diffusers but no difference. 

My last option at this point is to try crating him at night. We so have a crate for him as he was crate trained, but he's been fine without it. I thought maybe that might help him get back into a routine?

Sorry for the long post and thank you to anyone who read it!

Murphy's tired mum 🤞

It does sound as if it has become a habit, but also - could he be feeling cold at night? I would try the effect of a housecoat, or even just an extra blanket.

Or could he be hearing noises that he wants to investigate - e.g. foxes/ milk float/ cats outside, central heating clicking on inside?

When you let him out, is he really needing the loo break? Or is it more of a pleasure trip, as it were? 

Also, when you let him out, how much attention do you pay to him?  Again that can reinforce the habit  - you need to be robotic about it, just let him out, loo stop, in again, no pats or "good dog" or anything. Just a "settle" or "bed" (and if you haven't taught him this command yet, do!  You can start in the daytime, and reward him with treats :)) Ignore any attempts to get you up again, beyond repeating "settle."

I guess the crate might come in handy if he is already used to it. Not something I've ever had here, but I can remember my first greyhound Doc beginning to develop a similar behaviour - he had had a tummy upset which meant he really *did* need to go out for a night or so, then that got better but he decided that a night-time garden outing would be an agreeable addition to his routine, and tried whingeing for one :evil.  I hardened my heart and ignored him; after a night or so he stopped :yay.

I will add, Doc was a big confident sort of chap who always loved going out and about, but your boy is evidently more nervous about outings. Some of this may therefore be about wanting to go out and do his business when it is quiet and there is less risk of encountering others. Even so I am sure you will be able to conquer this problem - might take a bit more time, as it is now longer-established. Be prepared for an "extinction burst" of increased activity as he tries to work out what the real routine is! 

I will add, I think all greyhounds appreciate routines and knowing what to expect when, but that this is especially critical with the nervous ones. And yes, lockdown has added an extra layer of complication in all this! So be kind and patient but also consistent, and he will grow in love for you and in confidence.  Personally I would also try the effect of a regular second walk a day, at a quiet time and just very short to begin with - even if it doesn't stop the night-time awakening initially, it will encourage him to empty out and also hopefully broaden his horizons a bit.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Really appreciate your reply @DocsDoctor. He's always either wearing a coat or tucked in - he won't lie down if he isn't! So don't think he's cold. And our house is quiet and in a quiet area so don't think it could be noises. 

He does seem to need to go when we let him out at 130-2 but generally not when he's up at 5. Most of the time we can get him back to bed at 5 by telling him to go but now always.

We'll try not talking to him at night. Generally I'm not great at night anyway so I'd be fairly quiet anyway. And he definitely doesn't get positive attention at night. 

I'm not keen to use the crate but I'm just wondering would it help break the habit as I think it's well established at this stage. It would make it more possible to ignore him as he couldn't come in to the bedroom at night but I wonder if it would encourage him barking at night.

I'll try doubling his walks and being stricter to him at night and see. Thank you for your advice!

Edited by MurphysMum

I take it his meal times are the same as they always have been so his food has had time to settle before bed time?

As you and DocsDoctor have said it looks like he's decided that this is now his routine and if you want to break it I think you've got to be hard hearted. Shut him in the room he usually sleeps in and ignore him. Hopefully after a couple of nights he'll get back to normal.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

@HeyRunDogthanks. Yeah his feeding times have stayed the same. He's not a great eater so we do tend to leave his food out as late as possible. It used to be he'd finish his food before bed but since he started getting up we not take it off him at 830 even if he's not finished. 

Ignoring him doesn't work to well as my bedroom door doesn't close properly so he just barrels his way in (he sleeps on the landing) or will just head down himself despite our makeshift barrier. We have ordered a baby gate though to help with this then we will try ignoring him .

You poor thing! That sounds exhausting!! 

It sounds as though you've explored the health side of things and he's fine so it definitely sounds a new habit type thing.

Have you considered an additional late walk (say 10/11pm ish) when it's quieter (my boy is a nervous walker who can still statue here and there but loves his late night walks when his whole pack - me and partner - take him). Lots of smells and less scary noises give him plenty of chances to wee/scent. Plus all the late night fox and cat smells give him plenty of happy sniffing to wear him out. 

It's worth noting that whilst they are 'couch potatoes' they do still need exercise and stimulation, especially to tire them out for bed. If my boy has an energetic day (eg ball chasing in enclosed dog park) he'll sleep like a log all night and I'll wake him up for breakfast , whereas if he has a lazy day with little exercise or interaction he can be restless all night. 

Safe in the knowledge he's had some exercise and is empty - what happens if you just ignore him when he's restless? Hard as it is, perhaps ignoring him or telling him a stern "bed" and then not engaging further may help gradually break the new routine? Especially if you get the baby gate in place so he can't come charging in to your room?

It may take a little while and you may feel evil but it sounds as though you're pretty knackered and at the end of your tether. I hope you crack it :sleepy

There's no reason to want to go out all those times at night unless he has: Gas,  IBS, a weak bladder or UTI, toothache, or some other ache. If those, and external noises outside, can be ruled out then it's a habit he has got you into following. Try giving him a Kong with some peanut butter and treats stuffed into with a "Go to bed" command. I'm assuming there is easy access to fresh water at all times?