Our male gh is just two yrs old. We’ve had him 2 1/2 months. We adore him. I walk him approximately 3 miles daily - it’s impossible not to confront other dogs along our walks. Of course, Kobe is on a lead. However, when we walk by any other dogs he goes berserk ! He barks and barks (while pulling) and I can hardly get him to continue walking. He is 82 lbs of pure muscle and it’s physically difficult for me to hang onto him. We live in a very dog centric area and there is just no way to avoid other dogs. The other dogs are either leashed or have an invisible fence. We have not had any altercations thank goodness ! Any suggestions would be appreciated 

ps - when we encounter cars we stop and I calmly talk to him and pet him and when he responds without lunging and barking he gets praised and often a treat. He is doing much better with cars. 

I have the same issue with a 93 lb dog.  He was not always like this and I don't know when or what changed.  It started last year and has gotten worse since Shine passed. 

I try to walk him when I know there is less likely to be anyone out on our block with a dog.  In the summer I was walking him at 11:00 at night.  I don't weigh much more than him and I getting afraid that he is going to pull me down.  We have a fenced yard, but i know, otherwise, he enjoys his walk. 

He is 8 years old and is great in the house, I could take chicken out of his mouth and he falls asleep when I dremel his nails.  You would not believe that he becomes Cujo outside.  I know it is fear directed, but not how to cure it.  Thanks.  Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it hit home with me.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My Fletcher was like that, and at 90 lbs, he could be a challenge. If you are walking him with a collar I would strongly suggest you switch to a harness. I found this gave me much better control. Also, if you can try the same technique you are using with cars, that can help, although I know it is hard and takes time. Do a search here for “look at me” training. Try to cross the street to put distance between you and other dogs, and, plant your feet and make him stand. Fletcher was stronger than me, but I outweighed him :lol

It takes time and patience, and he may always be somewhat reactive, but it can get better.

Remember they pick up your attitude and react accordingly. If you tense up, tighten the lead and change your stride in anticipation when you see another dog yours goes into defence mode because they think you need protecting. Carry on walking as if the other dog isn't there with a slack lead but be ready to give the lead a quick tug, just enough to get their attention, and release with a firm NO as soon as your dog starts to react. Don't get into a tug of war with your hound as they'll think it's a fun game and praise and a treat when they behave themselves.

Edited by HeyRunDog

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thank you for the suggestions! The last 3 days when we’ve walked, I have had a mindset that it wouldn’t just be a walk but a training session. I’ve thought about how we would react to our encounters and I’ve been prepared and consistent. I’ve noticed some improvement in his reaction for sure - but, he’s not consistent and there is no way to predict which way it’s going to go. However, even when he has a “big” reaction is is definitely less than before. 
Again, thanks for the advice - I am confident that Kobe is very trainable and we are on the right path !