Not Sleeping

Around 10:00 pm tonight my greyhound jumped up out of his bed like something scared him. He then proceeded to lay back down. A few minutes later he did it again. This time he stood by the door to go outside. After he came back inside he refused to lay down. He has three beds and would not lay on any of them. He has had these beds for a long time and has never had a problem. It is now after midnight and he is walking around and crying. I did get him to lay down but he got right back up as soon as I waked away and started crying again. The only thing I can think of is that he is pain but how could that suddenly happen. He was fine all day and has had no injuries, this just seems very sudden and abrupt. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any ideas?

I think you need to go to the vets asap. It could be a pulled muscle or a trapped nerve

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

10 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I think you need to go to the vets asap. It could be a pulled muscle or a trapped nerve

I felt around his body and he didn’t show any signs of pain. He is also not limping or showing signs of a stiff neck. He went outside around 4:30 am and came back in and settled down. I think his stomach was hurting him. He had diarrhea last week so maybe still some effects. 

1 hour ago, Jerilyn said:

It's been a while, I hope things have settled down for you all.

I did have experiences like that with Lila. In her case it was a belly ache.

He definitely settled down after going outside to use the bathroom again. A few weeks ago I gradually changed his food to Diamond Naturals salmon and potato  he did good for about a week then last week he had diarrhea and vomiting. He’s been doing fine since Tuesday but maybe it’s bothering him again. Have you ever had a dog to have a delayed reaction to change in food?

no.....not a delayed reaction. have you gone to the vet? or even cheaper try feeding white rice cooked with ground lean chop meat or ground turkey. he may have pancreatitis, but that can not be identified by anyone but a vet. lay off the treats and stick to rice and boiled protein for a while. maybe a lower fat food when you put him back on kibble

20 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

no.....not a delayed reaction. have you gone to the vet? or even cheaper try feeding white rice cooked with ground lean chop meat or ground turkey. he may have pancreatitis, but that can not be identified by anyone but a vet. lay off the treats and stick to rice and boiled protein for a while. maybe a lower fat food when you put him back on kibble

I did and the vet ran tests and couldn’t find anything. They gave me pills to give him but he ate it once or twice and refused to eat it even when I crushed it and put it in his food. They told me to give him white rice and chicken and he kept throwing that up but I’ve never tried ground turkey. I did egg white and sweet potato and he did good on that until he refused to eat anymore lol so I switched back to kibble with olewo carrots around Tuesday I probably switched too fast but he seems to be doing fine now. Hopefully he stays that way.