Recommendation for paw treatment product

Looking for paw pad protection.  Poor Journey has had a rough start to retirement.  Allergic to spay stitches, hookworms, the cone of shame that did not go away.  Sensitive paws toes well I finally got a good look today and they are cracked hard by the nails and one has a dry crack across it.  No wonder she gave me a black eye for trying to look at them.

I am soaking in Epsom salts which she does not fight so must feel good 😌.  I can not find the spray I used before to condition the pads.  So what is your favorite or not product and why.

Thanks for your advice

Are you seeing the crack along the length of the nail, or is it where the nail meets the cuticle?

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On the tip of the pad just under where the nail starts to curve down it is really dry.   This is not her foot she got up when I tried to pick hers up.  Where the purple is under the nail it is dry and pulling up towards the nail like a hang nail for us kinda.  And a crack on the other purple line.  image.jpeg.b07a296ebb07aa65e7f82062c92bc7b4.jpeg

You could try Aloe Vera gel which is safe for dogs or I use Burt's Bees Hand Salve on Grace to try and soften her corns. I put a baby sock (decorated with rockets and spacemen)and a boot on to stop her licking it off before it's done any good.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) born 18 June 2014
Raced at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton UK - 68 Races, 9 wins, 5 second places
Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 

I see a lot of positive recommendations for Musher’s Secret,  but both of my current dogs literally bolt when they get a sniff (a pine-like scent) of that stuff.  They HATE it.  My Heart Girl at the Bridge wanted to eat it and “tolerated” it on her feet.   I guess some dogs might like it just fine.    

Tender Paw has also been recommended to me.  It’s pH balanced for dogs and contains vitamins for healing.  But every single dog I’ve ever had loathes the smell (lemon).

I don’t understand why they have to add fragrances to these sort of products.  

epsom's salts are drying. not knowing if there is a fungus- i would check with the vet. 2 of my gh had fungus- one in the webbing the other in the nail bed.  if fungus then it needs to be kept dry- medicated powder or fungicide jock itch cream. Musher's secret is a great wax which will help w/ the cracks. dogs pads do go thru cycles of being smooth, cracked, smooth- sorta like our own feet- well, mine anyway.

my young whippet came to me with really rough cracked pads. they changed over time- and change with walking on blacktop vs only running on dirt. those pads look fine to me.

don't use bag balm, the paw treatments do work. i used tuff paw for a while when my male's paws were sore after massive running at the beach.that stuff stains- it looks like idodine. so, that's a summer treatment.you can look up pad treatment for hunting dogs. their pads are always getting messed up. 

Edited by cleptogrey

Thanks for the responses

45 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

those pads look fine to me.

don't use bag balm

Picture is not her foot just for example why no bag balm?

15 hours ago, macoduck said:

Are you seeing the crack along the length of the nail, or is it where the nail meets the cuticle?

I had not thought of the smell being an issue.  I will have to do a smell test and see what she has issues with before I buy something. Great tip!  As we are on the slow bonding path.  She was not happy with the dressing changes as our first bonding experience going on for three months.  So still working on paw handling nice to know there is a reason she does not like her paw or nails touched.  

from the words of my retired vet- don't use bag balm- infections. it never worked on my chapped hands and cracked finger tips. i was teaching ceramics at the time. the best thing for human cracked finger tips is - Balmex baby ointment- zinc based. it creates a protective barrier from moisture and the crack heals from the inside out. 

it never huts to dust the nail beds with ammends or gold bond medicated foot powder. it keeps it dry- nail bed issues if not fungal clear up quickly. felix had  sand toe from a beach vacation. it was a life saver

From dealing with corns and very dry pads I stay away from any mostly petroleum based treatments as they seem to be drying, which is the opposite of what you want.

You can use any human lotion or cream that is for "extra dry" moisturizing, for cracked heels or hands, or winter dryness.  Again, from dealing with corns, the go-to is Burt's Bees Hand Salve cream.  Soak in epsom salts then immediately moisturize, then cover with a nice, thick toddler sock to keep the foot protected.

Couple other things...

Dry. cracked paws *can* also be a signal she has some sort of food allergy or contact dermatitis going on.  In addition to the soaking and moisturizing, I would use some hypo-allergenic baby wipes and wipe/dry her feet off after she comes in from outside. 

If the nails are involved at all, talk to your vet about S.L.O - symmetric lupoid onychodystrophy/onychitis.  This sounds horrible, but it is easily controlled with OTC supplements.  It's also more common in dogs who are already dealing with immune-related issues.

https://www.nevetdermatology.com/symmetric-lupoid-onychodystrophy-in-dogs/

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom