I made the mistake of letting her sleep on the bed when I first got her 3 months ago, but it's becoming a real problem now. I have a queen and she stretches across the bed leaving me about 6" of space! No amount of cajoling will get her to move and she's too heavy for me to push her off. Usually I will try to beat her to it and get into bed before she notices! Once I get comfortable I don't move (I'm not a restless sleeper) but she will growl and snap at me for no reason and of course I'm afraid she'll actually bite me when I'm asleep.

She's 9 years old and was apparently "bounced" from her previous owners. I don't know why and the adoption group aren't able to give me any history on her. Apart from this 'snapping' she's a perfect dog and I'm not giving up on her, just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how to get her off the bed. BTW, she has her own bed alongside mine.

Thanks for any advice.

Clip on her leash, entice her with a treat, lead her off the bed. Repeat, repeat, repeat. If she gets snarky, put her muzzle on. At her age it will take a while for her to conform. If she doesn't, you may need to babygate her out of your room but don't shut your door.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What Ducky said, along with saying "Off!" as you are leading her off the bed/couch with the yummy treat.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Punkin. Annie. Miss M.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, Knot Like The Others.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Our boy doesn't like being pushed or moved, especially if he's sleeping. He's also very big so I can't lift him. He doesn't seem to have sleep startle - he's just a stubborn wotsit and can be a little growly and snappy occasionally with the bed or treats.

He has his own bed in our room. If he does crawl onto our bed in the early hours of the morning I put a light on, talk to him to make sure he is awake and (from a bit of a distance) jiggle the duvet whilst pointing to his bed and saying "off". He grumbled, growled and snapped a little at first but with consistency, lots of positive praise and time he now generally obliges (begrudgingly) and goes straight back to sleep. He doesn't like the 'ground' moving under him so a firmly waggled duvet works wonders.

If you can't physically move her have you tried moving the duvet around to safely get her off from arms length? If that doesn't work slip lead/lead as mentioned above may help? That said, you've got to be able to put that on safely and she may learn that means she's being moved at which point you may have to move her bed outside the bedroom. 

Good luck! 

As mentioned get a slip lead and pull her down giving the command OFF. Plenty of praise when she does. Also shut the bedroom door so she can't use the bed as hers during the day.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) born 18 June 2014
Raced at Monmore Green, Wolverhampton UK - 68 Races, 9 wins, 5 second places
Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 

Anya, how did bedtime go last night?

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I hadn't thought of leashing her, so that's a good idea, will definitely give it a try. I can't see me using a baby gate though because I know she will whine like mad to be let in and I can't stand when she whines.

FeeFee: I have a throw on top of the duvet which she lies on after she "makes her bed with it" and I had tried pulling it out from under her but she won't be shifted!

Keeperdean: Too funny :-).

Macoduck: She must have known I was posting about her because last night she slept in her own bed:lol:. (She rarely does that). I'll keep a slip lead handy and keep you posted.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

My younger fellow, Nate, isn't a problem on my bed particularly, but getting him to move off anything just because I need/want him to is always an issue--my comfy chair, a dog bed I need to move, etc.  He too will snark, and snarl, and growl.  I've worked on teaching him "Hop off!  Nate, hop off!" and he understands what that means and will eventually comply--sometimes nicely and sometimes in full snarling "Cujo" persona.  I issue that command from a distance and, by the time he actually complies, he is ready to be petted and cooed over, no matter how recently he's displayed his teeth and growled.  <_< 

I also shamelessly resort to bribery if I need to, by opening the treat jar with its distinctive sounding lid.  That metal on glass sound never fails to get him up.  I'm to a fan of trying to push, pull, or physically interact with a dog who growls and snarls.

I've worked on teaching the "Hop off" command as part of our other training, which is set up to be fun and full of treats and praise and rewards.  If your girl is at all food motivated, I'd say use that to your advantage.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, and Miles the slinky kitty (OSH).
Missing Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin) and Winston

On 1/9/2021 at 7:03 AM, macoduck said:

Anya, how did bedtime go last night?

It worked..... temporarily:D. I put a slip lead on her, dangled a cookie and she hopped off instantly. I woke up this a.m. and there she was, head on the pillow next to me!! I'm using "off" as my verbal command and hopefully in time she will learn. Oh and I also used the slip lead to get her off the couch too, so it's a work in progress for now.

10 hours ago, GreyhndHomecare said:

Does she have a duvet of her own?  

Gail

No duvet per se Gail, but she does have a selection of throws all over the house. On her bed in the living room, on her bed in the bedroom, and on my bed of course. 

Once again - thank you all for your replies and good advice.

23 hours ago, LBass said:

I also shamelessly resort to bribery if I need to, by opening the treat jar with its distinctive sounding lid.  That metal on glass sound never fails to get him up.  I'm to a fan of trying to push, pull, or physically interact with a dog who growls and snarls.

I always go for 'off' and training first ...but have shamelessly resorted to opening the fridge and rustling the cheese bag if necessary, or opening the treat cupboard with dog food near our bedroom - always works a charm :D :rolleyes:

Anya - if I try to pull anything from under him whilst he's settled he will grumble. I'll only ever stand at the corner of the bed and flap the duvet around, rather than try to pull it from under mine. 

It's great the slip lead is working though. Gives you something new to add to the mix.

but have shamelessly resorted to opening the fridge and rustling the cheese bag

:lol  At my house, the rustling cheese bag is more likely to draw 3 cats, who are fiends for cheese. Perhaps I should work on introducing the hounds to cheese as well.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, and Miles the slinky kitty (OSH).
Missing Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin) and Winston