New to grey’s!

Hi, I just lost my puppy of ten years to cancer. For a few years now I’ve known my next dog would be a greyhound. 

im going to read up on the forums and do my research, and as a start I wanted to know what advice the experienced people have for someone starting out and also what the best resources for finding a high quality breeder is. I want to start with a puppy. 

I am located in Kentucky. 

thanks, 

Dylan

I know someone here has an akc greyhound but most people here have ex racing dogs.  Which are generally older than 18 months.  Maybe with the tracks closing there might be more puppies available. So you won't get as much help with finding a good breeder. 

Unfortunately I'm not one of those with the experience you're requesting. 

But one thing I can tell you,  being a greyhound owner is belonging to a very special cult. Welcome! 

I don't imagine there are many oops litters these days and I think there is only one, maybe 2 people on the forum that have non x-racing greyhounds.

Your best bet is to likely search for ACK breeders and then ask questions from there to determine if it is a good breeder.

If you decide an adult is the route to go, lots of people here can give you their experiences with the groups around you.

I'd say search out contacts in and around Abilene KS.  It is the holy grail of greyhoundom.   Greyhound Hall of Fame might help with referrals.  
I cannot imagine wanting a puppy....and I've lived through many.  The romance of greyhounds is that they grew up outside in runs and are somewhat calmed down when adopted.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I can’t help either. And I am not a puppy person, unless it’s someone else’s puppy. :D  If you want a puppy though, then go for it. At one point I was very curious about AKC hounds & strongly considered getting one. Through AKC I found several breeders to talk to (sorry, can’t remember who) but found them to be friendly & open about strengths & weaknesses, methods of rearing, health checks & all that. But then a staghound pup who was half deerhound needed a home and I couldn’t resist. She was my second & last puppy. She wasn’t any more trouble than the retriever pup. She was just faster at getting away with her stolen goods!  :lol She was also much smarter. Fast & smart make for a challenging problem. All my Greyhounds have also been smarter than my retrievers. 

So basically, I’m no help at all but I’m certainly not going to discourage you. WELCOME!