Greyhounds in Gettysburg - new date in 2021

macoduck

The event has been rescheduled for September 23-26, 2021.

From the director, Toni Duchi via their Facebook page:

The decision has been made! GiG 2021 will be held September 23-26, 2021! We have decided that later in the year is better; we will still have a safety plan in place, but at least now we have a date and can begin planning. We realize that some may not be able to attend, but maybe some who could never come in April will be able to come now! Either way, we hope you will consider joining us.
Please give us a little time to get our plans made. We will let you know when we have the program in place. The basic footprint will remain the same but we will be making some changes to accommodate a safety protocol...that is our first priority. We want everyone to be able to come and have a great time without worrying about their health.
Vendors, you will hear privately from Joy and we will get your registration packet out to you within the next couple of weeks. We have a lot of changes to make, so registration will be a couple of months away, but we'll keep you posted as we go along!
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. We truly appreciate your input and took everything into consideration when making this choice. We were limited somewhat by the availability of the Allstar, so this is the best option available to us. - Toni

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

maybe we can come with Rick, our 1st time ever! :)

can anyone tell me what it's like?  (like where [i.e. right in Gettysburg or? what goes on?)  thanks!

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

On 1/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, RaineysMom said:

can anyone tell me what it's like?  (like where [i.e. right in Gettysburg or? what goes on?)  thanks!

GiG has lots of activities such as battlefield walks, pet sitting area, social, guest speakers, auctions and lots of vendors. Gettysburg has some dog friendly places to eat and you can do things on your own such a ghost walks. Here’s a couple of links for further info.

GiG

Gettysburg - What to do

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I’m really really hoping the US has the pandemic under control by then. It’s more likely the border will be open. Plus I want to be vaccinated first. Hoping things will be very different by Sept. I really miss GiG and my greyhound friends.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

On 1/4/2021 at 10:17 AM, RaineysMom said:

So far Roy and I plan on going.  Our first time also.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

2 hours ago, Annette said:

So far Roy and I plan on going.  Our first time also.

Would love to meet you and RaineysMom. Try to book a room at the Quality Inn on Steinweir. It’s a great location. :)

https://www.gettysburgqualityinn.com

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

This is great news!

I really want to bring the girls... they will just love it! 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:33 PM, 45MPHK9 said:

Would love to meet you and RaineysMom. Try to book a room at the Quality Inn on Steinweir. It’s a great location. :)

https://www.gettysburgqualityinn.com

do you know if that hotel has elevators?  Rick's not good with stairs (and pretty sure the elevator would freak him out but maybe not).

NM, I called and just stairs and only rooms on the top floor are available :( I was able to book a first-floor room at the Super 8 on York Road.  :) 

not sure if we'll be able to go but thought I'd better book a room a.s.a.p. :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

RaineysMom, it's likely that all of us who booked last year and grabbed up 'em up then and then were able to shift to the new date. I'd been trying for a few years to get a ground floor there. I do have one for this year.

We'll have to have a get together at GIG. I've met a few GT folks each year, plus I always hook up with the regulars from the WFUBCC thread.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

6 hours ago, RaineysMom said:

do you know if that hotel has elevators?  Rick's not good with stairs (and pretty sure the elevator would freak him out but maybe not).

NM, I called and just stairs and only rooms on the top floor are available :( I was able to book a first-floor room at the Super 8 on York Road.  :) 

not sure if we'll be able to go but thought I'd better book a room a.s.a.p. :)

Keep calling the hotel. There are always cancellations closer to the event. No  elevators, just stairs there. It’s worth it to try to get in to a hotel downtown. It’s a totally different event than staying a bit out of town. Hope you can go! It’s a great time.  

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

16 hours ago, 45MPHK9 said:

Keep calling the hotel. There are always cancellations closer to the event. No  elevators, just stairs there. It’s worth it to try to get in to a hotel downtown. It’s a totally different event than staying a bit out of town. Hope you can go! It’s a great time.  

will do.  I saw a picture of the staircase and there is NO way Rick (he vaults up stairs :( ) could do them so we really have to have a first floor room.  We usually try to get the handicapped accessible if possible too (when they have multiple rooms so we don't take it from someone that IS handicapped!) because they tend to have more open space for dog beds and our soft-sided crate.  When we traveled with Larry and Zeke, we'd need a lot of room because Larry had sleep/space aggression and we'd need room for his space plus room for the soft-sided crate for Zeke to be safe in.  With just Rick we may not need all that room now.   And hopefully by September we'll have worked through his "fear of the bedroom" issue that I posed in T&B....

18 hours ago, macoduck said:

RaineysMom, it's likely that all of us who booked last year and grabbed up 'em up then and then were able to shift to the new date. I'd been trying for a few years to get a ground floor there. I do have one for this year.

We'll have to have a get together at GIG. I've met a few GT folks each year, plus I always hook up with the regulars from the WFUBCC thread.

looking forward to it!  We haven't been to an event (other than our own local groups) since 2011 with Larry and Nube at Bluegrass :)

• 1 month later...

We are still planning on coming.  We will be camping.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

• 1 month later...

I'm going to TRY to make it - it may just be for the day on Saturday though!   Will just be getting back from an 11-day trip on Sept 19...

Jeannine with Lili & Okie, the kitty sisters and Cody grey-girl waiting at the bridge (along with kitties Weenie & Merlin)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sadly, no. The border is still closed to vehicular traffic. I can fly to the US in an airplane full of strangers, but I can’t drive over with Dave in our car, even double vaccinated….just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. :angry: