Hi all, just after a little advice...

Our 10 year old Billy has a swollen paw. We took him to the vet yesterday and he’s been prescribed a high dose of antibiotics to help. So far we’ve not seen much change but he’s only had 3 doses so I think it’s early days.

I just wanted to ask, should we be resting him or is it ok for him to do some short walks? This is our first time with this condition so any info would be great.

Thanks in advance 

Ryan

9 minutes ago, organistswife said:

They are so often over raced, rest him somewhat, but a short walk might help

Thank you for the advice!

he still wants to go for his normal walks and once he’s up and about he does stop limping so much. I don’t think he’s in loads of pain based on how he is when he is up but yeah just wanted to see what would be best for him.

Thanks again 

52 minutes ago, organistswife said:

They are so often over raced, rest him somewhat, but a short walk might help

Pro/anti racing comments are not allowed on Greytalk. 

Rjelly, yes to moderate walks and rest. Any chance this was a spider bite? You may or may not see the actual bite site, but there would be swelling and eventually some fluid leaking.  Did your vet mention applying ice?  Otherwise, bellyrubs while he's in a roaching position with feet in the air could drain with the swelling.

Edited by macoduck

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Did the vet take X-rays? There could be a fracture or other injury. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

felix was always injuring his paws. one time he managed to puncture it w/ a piece of tall grass/straw. the vet inserted itchamochal(a black drawing salve) in the puncture and squeezed the med and wound a couple of times and the puncture was re-injected (syringe with out the needle) daily for a week. the salve really pulled the infection out- NO ANTIBIOTICS! if you can't find the site then soaking 2 to 3xs in Epsom's Salts will help draw out the crud. not a compress, literally sick the paw in a container of warm salts and wait 10 min. years ago one was able to get packets of Massengil Douche- that too will pull the debris out of an inflamed paw.

if your dog is 10 years old he has not been on the track for most of his life no way can this be a racing injury. this is possibly glass, some other debris or a small foreign object. watch and stay in contact w/ your vet. 

Edited by cleptogrey

I’m wondering why he’s been given antibiotics instead of anti inflammatory medication. Does he have a temperature too? Do they suspect an infection? Presumably the vet checked him over thoroughly for cuts and broken nails or bones. Buddy (also 10) had a swollen toe earlier in the year which caused a limp, but even if we had decided not to walk him, we couldn’t stop his zoomies around the garden, so I would probably keep on walking him as normal but keep a close eye on it. Take him back to the vet if it hasn’t gone down in the next couple of days.

Living with Buddy Molly b. 5 November 2010. Welcomed home 16/6/2018 ❤️

On 1/1/2021 at 6:07 PM, macoduck said:

Pro/anti racing comments are not allowed on Greytalk. 

Rjelly, yes to moderate walks and rest. Any chance this was a spider bite? You may or may not see the actual bite site, but there would be swelling and eventually some fluid leaking.  Did your vet mention applying ice?  Otherwise, bellyrubs while he's in a roaching position with feet in the air could drain with the swelling.

I don’t know if it was a spider bite, we can’t see any obvious puncture or wound to the paw and definitely no leakage of any sort. The vet didn’t mention putting ice on it but he’s been doing loads better for the last day or so, the swelling is almost completely gone and he’s back to his normal self!

20 hours ago, LaFlaca said:

Did the vet take X-rays? There could be a fracture or other injury. 

Hi,

the vet didn’t take X-rays yet, she wanted to see if he would respond to the antibiotics first. She did a good investigation of his paw and leg and there are no obvious signs of injury or fracture (he doesn’t cry or pull away when the paw is touch and manipulated)

18 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

felix was always injuring his paws. one time he managed to puncture it w/ a piece of tall grass/straw. the vet inserted itchamochal(a black drawing salve) in the puncture and squeezed the med and wound a couple of times and the puncture was re-injected (syringe with out the needle) daily for a week. the salve really pulled the infection out- NO ANTIBIOTICS! if you can't find the site then soaking 2 to 3xs in Epsom's Salts will help draw out the crud. not a compress, literally sick the paw in a container of warm salts and wait 10 min. years ago one was able to get packets of Massengil Douche- that too will pull the debris out of an inflamed paw.

if your dog is 10 years old he has not been on the track for most of his life no way can this be a racing injury. this is possibly glass, some other debris or a small foreign object. watch and stay in contact w/ your vet. 

Thanks Cleptogray,

great advice about the Epsom’s salts, we will get some and definitely do this to aid the recovery.

We suspect at this point it was a puncture injury like what you have mentioned so yeah we will keep an eye on it and will definitely be back to the vet if there is any change

14 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

I’m wondering why he’s been given antibiotics instead of anti inflammatory medication. Does he have a temperature too? Do they suspect an infection? Presumably the vet checked him over thoroughly for cuts and broken nails or bones. Buddy (also 10) had a swollen toe earlier in the year which caused a limp, but even if we had decided not to walk him, we couldn’t stop his zoomies around the garden, so I would probably keep on walking him as normal but keep a close eye on it. Take him back to the vet if it hasn’t gone down in the next couple of days.

Hi Merseygrey

he has been on an anti-inflammatory too, sorry forgot to mention this in my original message. The vet did do a thorough exam and there’s no obvious sign of injury but we’re keeping an eye on it. Thanks 

6 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Get x-rays.  Any leg swelling in older greyhounds would be a cause for concern.

Thanks MaryJane,

yeah that’s the next step if the swelling continues or goes (with the antibiotics) and comes back.

We’re keeping a very close eye on it, I’m taking pictures daily to track it lol

thanks again 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to finish the thread off, Billy has fully recovered from the edema in his paw, the swelling rapidly reduced after starting the antibiotics and he is completely back to his normal self now. Thank you all for your advice!