I'm losing my CC

My little China girl Cee Magic is losing her battle with kidney disease. In September I made 3 milestones I hoped she'd make. Christmas,  a big snowstorm and her 7th birthday. 

Due to a rare December storm we got 2 of the three. But shes not going to make 7 in March. I have the vet on call for Thursday. 

This little girl has the biggest personality.  The most expressive eyes.  You can see straight to her soul.  She spent most of her short life in the hellhole known as the Canidrome.  Yet her tail never stops wagging. 

Her little body is so broken (huge bedsores scars on her hips and shoulders from sleeping on cement,  broken hock, broken elbow,  24 rotten teeth and renal damage). But her spirit soars. 

Unfortunately her kidneys just don't work anymore.  She's only interested in eating meat. No more cookies,  treats, eggs, even homemade eggnog. She would  have eaten her bowl if it was edible. She still likes walks and bye-byes. 

So Thursday morning I'll give the vet a call if she's completely stopped eating and/or loss of interest in walks and rides. She will make #10 at the Bridge,  but one of the hardest I've lost. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(  I am so sorry to hear this about CC.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry, Mary Pat.  I had always hoped to meet her at Dewey.  

Spoil that little girl even more if it's possible. Her story is incredible. Give her some extra ear rubs from us. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Our hearts are with you, MP. You done good for this dear soul. :grouphug

Segugio also made his journey on 12/31. He and the other campers will be waiting for CC. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so very sorry. A little girl who has been through so much should have much more time in heaven-on-earth. But I've lost enough dogs to kidney disease to know that they reach a point where their interest fades. :grouphug 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry, very gentle hugs to you and CC, bless both of you.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

oh no :( I am SO very sorry :(:(:( she has fought so hard her entire life :(  sending you and her so many hugs and prayers.  I'm so glad she was able to spend her final years knowing your love :(  :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am so sad and sorry to read this.  Wishing your girl an easy passing and she will greeted by our sweet greys over the bridge.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So sorry to read this. I know how it goes with kidney disease having lost 3 to it over the years. Only one of them definitely told me it was time and that she just wasn't going to eat again. I'd tried dozens of different kinds of foods, then one day she did something she'd never done before, she tipped her bowl over and looked away.  I think the day when they won't or can't drink is far enough; and better a day too soon than to wait for that.  :bighug

This is too sad. This is the second young dog I’ve heard about passing today. I’m so glad she had a few happy years with you after the start she had. I know you will enjoy the next few days together, even if they are tinged with sadness for you :(

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Thinking of all of you.:heart

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Update:

I decided to call CC's internist to see if there's anything else available before I send her to the Bridge.  They gave me an anti-nausea and another appetite  stimulant.  If that works then she'll stay a little longer.  Maybe a week. 

And before anyone bashes me about quality of life,  she is still enjoying life.  Kidney disease pretty much makes them sick to their stomach. There is no pain. So if her tummy feels better,  she feels better.  I'm watching her very very closely to make sure I read the signs.

While pets often receive bone, soft tissue and cornea allografts for transplantation, the only type of organ transplant available for cats and dogs is a kidney transplant, according to Dr. Lillian Aronson of the University of Pennsylvania's School of Veterinary Medicine, who talked to Vetstreet.Aug 3, 2018.

My husband is a kidney transplant guy. Got one from me and one from a friend 18 years later. So when I saw your question, I thought I would look and see. Very expensive, but maybe if you have pet insurance, they would pay for some of it ? This post is from 2018. If you had time maybe start a go.  fund me  

Your story really touches my heart. God Bless. 

Is suc-therapy available in your area? It is the thing around here for kidney disease. I have used it several times with my elderly dogs and it works really well and without side effects.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I've asked about dialysis or transplants.  She could do dialysis but it doesn't work as well as in humans. It works better for acute failure that dogs might be able to survive.  And transplants do very well for cats. But for some reason dogs don't.  I even have a young greyhound that might have been a donor.

I don't know what suc-therapy is. 

I am so sorry. She is so young.  I am sending you good thoughts.  I know you will do whatever is best for her. :grouphug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

8 hours ago, MP_the4pack said:

Update:

I decided to call CC's internist to see if there's anything else available before I send her to the Bridge.  They gave me an anti-nausea and another appetite  stimulant.  If that works then she'll stay a little longer.  Maybe a week. 

And before anyone bashes me about quality of life,  she is still enjoying life.  Kidney disease pretty much makes them sick to their stomach. There is no pain. So if her tummy feels better,  she feels better.  I'm watching her very very closely to make sure I read the signs.

I did that with Felix. Zofran for the nausea and prednisone for the appetite. He was on a total carb diet and what brought him the most joy was toasted white bread. Toast and cut up into small pieces. The barometer of how poorly the kidneys are functioning is their ammonia breath. If their kidneys get really bad they can start seizing. Enjoy and a toast to the late Felix who adored his goat. CC will enjoy it as much.

I hope the anti-nausea meds and appetite stimulants give you and bit more happy time with your girl.  CC sounds like a real character and a complete love.  I'm sorry her body can't keep up with her spirit.  Warmest best wishes to you both for a bit more time and then an easy, peaceful passing. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.