New Owner/Potty Outside

We brought our retired racer home just a few days ago, he’s our first greyhound and it’s been a delight watching him explore. I’m struggling with potty outside... we walk for 30 min. and sometimes I will get a poo and pee, sometimes two pees, but poo seems to be the hardest. I’ve read a longer leash may help... today we only pooed once. My biggest concern is that he’s on round of antibiotics and his stool has been loose (vet appt. is upcoming so he has not been tested for hookworm yet). I can sometimes hear his stomach gurgle or he will pass gas and I will make sure to get him outside, but today we walked around three times with no potty breaks. I took him out for his before bed potty break and he peed, are there signs I can look out for overnight for needing to go out? He has not whined or barked once. I reward with treats, but I’m not sure what else to do if anything other than patience? Thank  you!

It's probably nerves and his new surroundings that are causing him to be reluctant to go. A bit like some people when they go on holiday, they can't go for the first few days until they settle in.

Grace only poos on her morning walk and her last pee at night is around 5 pm. She doesn't need to go outside until the morning walk at around 7 am. Get into a routine so he knows when he's able to go.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Aww bless him. As HeyRunDog says - nerves and new surroundings. 

Frustratingly, especially when nervous, they aren't great at asking to go either which makes it all a bit more difficult. 

Stick to a routine with plenty of toilet opportunities and praise him hugely with a great treat when he does go. With plenty of time, patience and encouragement he will get into a routine and relax. I also found in the early stages taking my boy on the same walks he would use the same spots for wees and poos so that helped.

Aside from that - GOOD LUCK! 

• 2 weeks later...