Arthritis and kidney issues

eahearn

Hi, our greyhound is a retired racer (raced for 4 years and he's 9 now), he's getting old and has arthritis and we can't give him meds because it impacts his kidneys.  He loves to take walks (and gets really antsy if he doesn't get one a day) but if he overexerts himself, he'll limp from his front left leg when walking and will have difficulty getting down the three stairs to get outside.  Appears to be a shoulder issue as opposed to lower leg or paw.  He runs fine and this doesn't seem to exacerbate it.

Any thoughts on external remedies we can try - I'd like him to enjoy the remainder of his life and not shorten that life by giving him arthritis meds that impact his kidneys.

Thanks!

Our boy is having the same issue.  While we haven't done it yet, our vet has mentioned a steroid injection.  Also, you can try chiropractic.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

we gave Larry Body Sore (Jing Tang herbal), available only via your vet and it's not cheap, about $65 for 100 pills and he was getting 4 a day.  I don't know if it impacts the kidneys at all though.  I thought it was mostly hoo hoo until I had to take him off of it prior to a dental in 2019 and there was a definite decline when off of it so I really think it did work.  He also was on Meloxicam, Gabapentin, Tramadol and then amantadine (the last one for the last 5 months, it works by amping up the the meloxicam and Gaba) but don't think your pup can use any of those.

I know how tough it is.  Hope you can find something that works.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I would definitely try acupuncture if you have a good practitioner in your area.  I can really help with nerve and musculoskeletal issues.

Also talk with your vet about a new rx called Galliprant.  It's not a traditional nsaid and so it may not affect his kidneys as much as other drugs in this class.  Try and stay away from steroids if you can.  He also may do well on Gabapentin plus a pain reliever like codiene sulfate.

Be *very* careful about OTC supplements and remedies as they can impact the kidneys severely.  Make sure you discuss anything you're giving your dog with your vet first.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

7 hours ago, Houndtime said:

Our boy is having the same issue.  While we haven't done it yet, our vet has mentioned a steroid injection.  Also, you can try chiropractic.

Irene, do check out the adequan . It's a miracle drug- but i will say the steroid injection i had in my knee was rapid relief.  the chiropractic adjustments did very little for felix- ear rubs to Oddie. How old is he now? Felix started getting arthritic around 8.5 and he only ran for pure fun his entire life.

3 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

Irene, do check out the adequan . It's a miracle drug- but i will say the steroid injection i had in my knee was rapid relief.  the chiropractic adjustments did very little for felix- ear rubs to Oddie. How old is he now? Felix started getting arthritic around 8.5 and he only ran for pure fun his entire life.

Odin is eight.  He doesn't seem to have any trouble on carpet or grass.  So, we keep looking for a corn.  We met our neighbor the other day walking his grey.  His boy was limping too.  He said the same thing.  No problem on carpet of grass and they are very familiar with corns as their female had many.  I just worry about him.

On 12/22/2020 at 2:43 AM, Houndtime said:

Odin is eight.  He doesn't seem to have any trouble on carpet or grass.  So, we keep looking for a corn.  We met our neighbor the other day walking his grey.  His boy was limping too.  He said the same thing.  No problem on carpet of grass and they are very familiar with corns as their female had many.  I just worry about him.

If you brush the pad with a damp toothbrush it can help to make the corn visible.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

8 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

If you brush the pad with a damp toothbrush it can help to make the corn visible.

We were at the vet again, for the third time.  The vet pushed on his shoulder and again, Odin yelped.  He went over each toe on that foot and nothing.  On the other foot, where I am pretty sure a corn is starting, he did squirm.  We will keep him on the carprofen another month and see.  He limps outside in the mulch run and in the street when walked.  He has no problem on carpet or grass.  He runs like a maniac in the basement on the carpet.