Kcal.. very confused. Please help

Greyray

We adoped Issac and since then I am trying to figure out his food quantity.

The rescue asked us to feed 2 cups/ day with toppings. So I am feeding 2 cups kibble with 100gms meat toppings. I also give him 2 slices with peanut butter on it as 2 seperate treats.

My grey is 80lb. The kcal calculator showed 1450kcal/ day but 1 cup of the kibble I feed ( Autarky) is 780 kcal so the kibble itself makes 1560 kcal and the treats make it 1700kcal/ day :(. My boy is ALWAYS hungry even after that and goes crazy 30min before his meals with whining for food.

Is my kibble high cal?. Please see the pic, I dont want to make him overweight but I am worried I eventually will if I continue this diet. I can feel ( and see) 3-4 of his vertebrae and slightly see last 2 ribs.

Is 2cups+200gms meat+toast a day too much for a 80lb boy?

With variations in types and brands of food the amount you need to serve will vary greatly. Factor in your dog's activity level and how long he's been retired too.

Easiest to use a visual guide than measurements. This photo essay will explain it:

http://www.greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=weight

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at that link now :).

He is not lazy and is usually fidgetty. Also we take him 1-1.5hr walk a day.

I see his ribs more prominent according to the light around him (?). Sometimes he looks ok and sometimes overweight 🤷🏻‍♀️23420557-3D78-495F-B586-FF151292EED0.jpe

Edited by Greyray

don't go by the recommendations on the bag. 

with mature dogs(75# male, 65# female gh) need around 1000 calories give or take- most likely take to maintain their weight with just walking as their activity. My 2 gh walked 4 miles a day and played in the yard- lots of soccer and did fine on just 1200 calories.

I just recently changed foods for my 3.5 year old(whippet). I reduced her calories per cup by 100 and she can now eat a decent amount of food and isn't famished even though she was gaining weight on 2/3 c the "premium" recipe. she is 36# eating 2c @ 380 calories + 1/3c @ 480cal. the young one is 3.5c @ 480c -she is 35.5 lbs and crazy active. the whippets run around 3 hrs a day and a good long walk. 

a lower calorie, less dense food might work for you as well. 

and yes, my retired racers either weighed their racing weight or a few lbs under. no way can they maintain that muscle mass.

Edited by cleptogrey