Say "Hola!" to my newest senior, seniorita Rita

macoduck

1 hour ago, MP_the4pack said:

Your dog had leish in Spain?  How did you get her here? From what I've heard leish positive dogs can't come here even if treated because it never really goes away. 

Mary Pat, there was mention of that only being a problem in the UK. Check the Living With Leish page on FB because that's where I saw it discussed.

Rita came over via the Senior Sighthound Sanctuary. They used a private shipper on commercial passenger planes since they couldn't use flight patrons. The SSS also has been running fundraisers to offset the flight cost for adopters.

Rita was found by Casa de Postas last January, abandoned in a field. Her leishmanias was mild and treated with allopurinol, a very inexpensive med. She will be due for her next big lab testing in March and I'll see if she still has to continue the med.

If you aren't on FB I'll try to find out what info you need. What country would you be getting a new dog from?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Spain. Galgos Del Sol. Not planning anything yet, but I didn't go for anything leish positive because GDS said they weren't allowed into the US. Those dogs had to stay in Spain. 

That's wonderful news, there's probably a lot of US adopters that would take a leish positive dog. At least when travel opens up.