Yet another poo thread: fine then runny later in day?

Moo

My grey is having a good solid poo first thing, then as the day progresses, he'll do a slightly more runny albeit still solid enough to pick up one, then completely runny one. I'm keeping a food and poo diary starting this week to see if it's to do with a particular flavour of his wet food (I have a suspicion it's turkey related). He's recently had another worming on top of one he had when I got him, so I'm relatively sure it's not worm related. I read somewhere that the more chances the grey gets to poo, the more it will poo, so inevitably will get runnier the more they go. Is this what's happening? He'll do about 4 poos a day given the chance. I give him a probiotic with every meal, too. 

Our boy will usually do 4 per day and the 4th is the hardest to pick up.  If there is a 5th one, get him to the woods!

We use Forta-flora and Olewo Carrots with every dinner and this has had a very positive impact on his stomach.  3 years ago when we got him, things were.....loose.  We tried many things, but the Olewo Carrots were the game changer.

We thought with 4-5 poops a day we were over feeding, but 3 years in he weighs 73 lbs and raced at 71 lbs.  (33kg?)

He had a bad hookworm infestation when he arrived and that was a 6 month ordeal to clear up.  If your dog was recently wormed, I'd recommend you have a clean fecal report before making decisions on food.

Hope this helps and good luck.  

most hookworms are now resistant to the normal (Panacur then Drontal Plus) deworming meds/method these days and have been for several years (mostly due to them being given deworming meds every month when racing, the hooks have developed a tolerance -- this at least is what our vet says).  Our Rick finished the 7 day Panacur last week and will get his 1.5 Drontal Plus on the 11th and then retested for hooks but we're fairly confident he'll need the Prison Protocol (Advantage Multi every other 2 weeks, then Drontal Plus on the other 2 weeks) for 6 months :(

Rick's poops too are softer but formed first thing in the morning, and goes again around 10am and they are loose, then as the day goes on (on our 1pm walkie) they are super loose then just liquid on the 2nd one.  The before bed one is a little firmer since 6 hours or more have elapsed since his walkie poo.  Hoping the Drontal Plus will help but not feeling very confident.  I'd check your pup for hooks again.

good luck!

ETA: I take him out at 10am so he will pee but all he does is go poop -- I would him rather hold it so it's firmer later, but we're still in the housebreaking stage so I take him out more to pee (which he doesn't do....).  

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Definitely do a fecal check.  You need three negatives spaced well apart to be completely sure he is hookworm free.

Once he is, then you can obsess over his poop!  :lol  

It could be that this is just the way he is and it's perfectly normal for him.  It's actually quite a common pooping schedule, and, our vet says, due to the waste having more time "cooking" inside before it heads out.  (I know.  TMI!)  But he could need a different probiotic, or simply more fiber in his diet, or there *could* be something going on.

But clear the hooks first.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Mine will do up to four poops on a walk and they usually go from solid/relatively solid to something that looks like korma sauce. I’ve spent two years worrying about this and have recently concluded that this is probably just him. The colon is the part of the digestive tract where water is absorbed, so the quicker the waste moves through this part the less water is absorbed and therefore the runnier it will be.

However we recently did a stool culture for him because it was a bit worse than normal and it brought back a nasty parasite called Isospora which my dog probably gets because he eats poop - usually his own given the chance, but almost any if he can. Fortunately he’s not the type to lick or give kisses.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Thanks for replies, all! I'll certainly find out with the vet about a full stomach MOT. His stomach has been a bit dicky on and off since I got him, so I'd better look into ruling it out as soon as I can. I don't suppose anyone has a ballpark figure (preferably for the UK) for how much a stool culture costs? My circumstances changed recently (thanks, covid.) so I'm a bit skint atm, so will need to budget around prioritising him. :2c :pirate 

Oh that's not too bad then. I have no idea what dog vet bills are going to be like, so I kind of expect the worst!  I was hoping to get him insurance before my situation changed. :/  My boy was £150 at Dogs Trust, so maybe he was adjusted for inflation :lol

7 hours ago, Moo said:

Oh that's not too bad then. I have no idea what dog vet bills are going to be like, so I kind of expect the worst!  I was hoping to get him insurance before my situation changed. :/  My boy was £150 at Dogs Trust, so maybe he was adjusted for inflation :lol

If you get round to looking for insurance have a look at Bought By Many. They paid out a £2000 claim for Grace's foot operation with no questions three weeks after I had taken the policy out with them. If we're comparing prices, Grace was £150 from the Greyhound Trust. Best £150 I've ever spent :D

And back to the original subject. Grace poos three time on her morning walk starting off large and firm descending to small and squidgy for the last one. Sometimes she'll do a medium poo on her walk later in the day.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

There was some research done which showed that large breeds have a longer digestive system passage time and that can make them more sensitive to certain foods due to fermentation. Many Greyhounds just like to eliminate several times, and the last one won't have had as much time for the colon to reabsorb the water content.  I'd worry more if there was diarrhea throughout the day, particularly in oldies.

• 3 weeks later...