9th Anniversary: The Great International Houndie Handoff

greysmom

It's that time of year again and I can hardly believe it's the ninth Gotcha Day for my sweet girl Lilly.  Since we lost the other participant last year - our boy Whiskey - she's the only one celebrating this time around.

VooDoo%20Annual%20Picnic%202005%20A.jpg?

This is VooDoo.  Our best boy.  Our heart dog.  We lost him in October of 2011 when the osteo he'd been fighting metastasized in his spine.  We were devastated.  Particularly since we had lost another of our dogs only two weeks earlier.  In the space of half a month we'd gone from a pack of 5 to a pack of 3, and even as we mourned, we felt in our bones the house was too quiet.  The energy was missing.  So in the midst of grief, or maybe because of it, I began to search for another greyhound to help fill our house and our hearts.

I didn't consider a dog from our local group.  I wasn't taken with any of the adoptees we had in the kennels right then, and we needed a cat safe dog - very hard to come by in our area.  So, since I was on GT and knew several GTers who either ran or had access to other kennels, I began to look in other places further away.  One place I looked had me gasping.

This is Whiskey

25053111448_cab291913d_z.jpgwhiskey 2 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Dude's half brother from another mother.  In the adoption kennel at Northern Greyhound Adoptions in Vermont.  We had to inquire.  Obviously.

It was complicated.  He was in Vermont.  We were in Oregon.  But, with some finagling and some help from very good friends, it was all arranged.  We could adopt him the second week of December.  Donna, from The League of Extraordinary Greyhounds would go get him and bring him to Montreal for a night.  He would then be picked up by another Canadian GTer, Deb Ward, who was moving several of her groups hounds to Vancouver, British Columbia.  I would drive from Portland to Blaine, Washington USA, meet up with GTer Jenners (who lived there), and meet up with Deb at the border to pick up Whiskey.

YEAH!!!

Forms were filled out, adoption fees paid, airline reservations confirmed.  It was a go!

Then, Deb sends me an email with a picture and one sentence:   "I can just as easily bring two!"

38209362074_bc7a3e9b7e_z.jpgIMG_0313 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

OMG!!!!!  A PUPPY?????   We could have a real greyhound puppy????

After about 5 minutes of discussion, we said YES!!!  And Lilly was on her way to us too!  She's the one on the far right in this picture.  The last four puppies remaining from a litter of 14, born the end of September.

So on December 8th 2011, I made the 7 hour drive to Blaine, met Jennie in person for the first time, jumped back in the car to drive to the Peace Arch Border crossing between Canada and the US.  Times were different then, and people could walk back and forth there.  Here's Jennie waving, and way off there up the sidewalk are Deb and Whiskey and her husband John who ended up transporting Lilly in a flight bag under his airline seat.

27139996419_6e31d29b57_z.jpgPeace Arch by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Deb and John and the dogs just walked across the border, into Peace Arch park.  Jennie and I were waiting for them.  The entire time we were waiting for the Border patrol to drive up and ask us what the heck we were doing!!!

Meeting Lilly for the first time

38916463511_b887a53045_z.jpgPeace Arch 4 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

GTers meeting in person, puppy Lilly and Whiskey

38916460041_b107eee3d7_z.jpgPeace Arch 9 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

And Jennie and I took the dogs back to her house.  She even watched them the entire night so I could get a good night's sleep before driving the 7 hours back to Portland!  That night was when Whiskey and Lilly bonded like actual brither and sister.  He became her puppy nanny and she adored him for the rest of his life.  When he crossed the Bridge last year she grieved for a long time.

38916479831_edeec2311b.jpgL&W 5 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201235044_4d95b325b3.jpgL&W 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201232094_05ef74fe77.jpgL&W with Miss Jenn 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

The next day we drove back home, met the rest of the pack, and Dad.  Nine years ago!  It seems like yesterday, and yet so long ago!

38916457651_07967f2dd3.jpgTrip Home Lilly by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38916456741_b1f12963e0.jpgTrip Home Whiskey by Chris Harper, on Flickr

I will be forever grateful and thankful for Donna, Deb and John, and Jennie for all their help making the Great International Houndie Handoff happen!!!

Then

38924599361_43c6a9ec0b.jpgIMG_0339 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Now

50529361338_e134bc4f65.jpg20201025_135809 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There’s a face I could spend hours kissing! Happy Gotcha day Lily. I suppose this is one of those stories where you got the dog(s) you needed and not just what you thought you wanted. Sorry about Whisky but I hope you make many more happy memories with Lily 😍

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

:yay

Where does the time go? :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I LOVE this story.  It's part of my Christmas ritual now.

:kiss2 to KLilly  :kiss2 to Andi Pants 

:wave to Whiskey SBSB :mexi2 at the Bridge

:bighug for Chris, Dennis, Jenny, and Deb who made this happen! 

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

My goodness... How time flies! 

It's just such a wonderful story :wub:

Our Nigel came up from Florida to Vermont with Whiskey. Nigel had the name 'Tequila' when he was there.  He came here to us just before Christmas, after his first home didn't work out. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Didn't you just post the 8th anniversary? :lol

I still remember all of us following these events waiting to hear that the handoff was complete and that no one was in the custody of the Border Patrol. 

Happy Gotcha Day, Lily. :beatheart

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I love this story! It's got everything - compelling characters, international intrigue, and a happy ending.

Missing Whiskey, but I like to think he and Lila are finally together over the rainbow. :beatheart

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I remember!   This is such a great story.  Happy Gotcha Day, Lilly.  :kiss2  What a treat to see Whiskey and all those very dear, special humans.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Happy Gotcha Day, Lilly! I so love reading this story every year! :wub:

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

I remember!  wow, 9 years????  Such a great story and such wonderful memories and puppers :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I love this story! It's got everything - compelling characters, international intrigue, and a happy ending.

:nod 

Plus a handsome hero and a beautiful ingenue.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I always love hearing this story!  Brings back ones faith in mankind.   I wish they could stay pups longer....

Happy Gotcha day Ms Lily:confetti

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

I loved loved loved watching this story unfold.   It was so exciting and is one of my favorite stories!   Happy Gotcha Day Lilly and to Whiskey at the Bridge. :heart

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.