Stopping a Greyhound Licking Wounds?

erin246

About a week ago we noticed Bear’s left had what looked like a graze on it, so we took him to the vet because it wouldn’t heal and he kept licking it, but as his neck is thicker that his head we were worried a cone would slip off. So the vet gave us an inflatable neck pillow. The pillow stays on and it’s comfortable enough, but because he’s such a big greyhound, his long muzzle and neck make it easy for him to lick the wound, so it’s not effective. He also has a hydrocortisone cream that needs applied twice a day, but he keeps licking it off and the wound looks worse. Because of the current conditions with covid we can’t take him to the vet again until next week. We’ve tried covering it with socks, compression bandages etc. but they all fall off. Any ideas for stopping him licking his wound?

Put a muzzle on him.  If you don't have a stool guard, you can put some tape over the end.  

I have an old muzzle that I keep taped up just for times like this!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I also recommend a muzzle with a stool guard.  Just got a grey in August that had a wound that would not heal. The muzzle with tape on it until I could get a stool guard.  Saved us.  It just healed on November 1st so I feel for you.

if you want to wrap it I suggest vet wrap but you may have to reapply it regularly.  I had one greyhound that would lick it down. I would just add more wrap each time she moved it.  If you can put a long sleeve shirt to cover it sometimes that helps them forget to lick it. (Only while you can watch them)

best wishes on recovery 

I used micropore tape around an old sock on graces foot after she had an abscess removed from between her toes and used to either cover that with a poo bag to keep it dry from licking or put bitter apple on the sock.

You could also try putting bitter apple around the edge of the graze.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Vet wrap at the top of the sock will help it stay on.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.