Is my greyhound / whippet mix at a good weight ?

Whippy

hey guys!

my little boy is a greyhound / whippet mix and now 14 1/2 weeks of age and weights 9.5KG.

Since I set him on a balanced raw food diet, he is increasing weight and size very quickly. (1KG in 3 days last time).

He is now at 9.5KG Body weight, however he doesn’t really look fat to me, i would say even muscular.

what do you think based on the photos ?

ac8hedxy.jpg

hx75f7x5.jpg

sf4vbmuh.png
qx6vlmzp.jpg

Whippy, you'll need a host for your photos. You can use Facebook if you store your photos there. Click on a photo, right click, select Copy Image Location, then paste over here.

This has some good info on weight.
http://www.greyhoundcrossroads.com/index.php?page=weight

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Too young to be terribly concerned.  They have growth spurts and can go from chubby to lean in a matter of days at that age.  

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Yes, I can see them. What a cutie! I wouldn't worry about his weight. Like Cheryl2 said, he'll have growth spurts.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Puppies grow too fast to really evaluate them by how they look.  As mentioned, they can be chubby little butterballs one day and you'll wake up to a leggy, awkward string bean the next.  Plus, each individual will be completely different in how much they can safely handle and how fast they grow.

I go more by behavior - Is he constantly searching for more food?  Is his energey level sustained through exercise?  Can he concentrate on training for appropriate time periods?  Does he eat enthusiastically but not TOO enthusiastically?

You want him to have enough food to grow, but not grow too fast, as that can cause a larger issue.  So it's really a balancing act until their growth levels out - sometime around 12-18 months.  And since yours is a cross, and smaller dogs mature faster, he may reach that threshold sooner.

What does your vet say??

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

24 minutes ago, greysmom said:

Puppies grow too fast to really evaluate them by how they look.  As mentioned, they can be chubby little butterballs one day and you'll wake up to a leggy, awkward string bean the next.  Plus, each individual will be completely different in how much they can safely handle and how fast they grow.

I go more by behavior - Is he constantly searching for more food?  Is his energey level sustained through exercise?  Can he concentrate on training for appropriate time periods?  Does he eat enthusiastically but not TOO enthusiastically?

You want him to have enough food to grow, but not grow too fast, as that can cause a larger issue.  So it's really a balancing act until their growth levels out - sometime around 12-18 months.  And since yours is a cross, and smaller dogs mature faster, he may reach that threshold sooner.

What does your vet say??

24 minutes ago, greysmom said:

What does your vet say??

Thanks for that advice.

the vet wasn’t also concerned and her words are reflecting more or less what you guys say as well.

he has a very high energy level at peak times, but is also able to take naps for quite a long time. In his peak level times he just runs by himself around the living room, or wants me to play fetch with hi. 

They really do grow in spurts! Th and whippet puppies go to sleep with covered ribs and wake up with every rib showing. Grew a 7 week old 12 lb th into a 75 lb crazy puppy! My current whippet has gained nearly 5 lbs over the past 2 5 months. She just cut down on her kibble self regulating. 

At his age 3 to 4 meals a day. Have fun!