Flexor tenotomy for corns

teri_d

Phog has suffered with 4 corns on 3 of his feet since we adopted him.  When we first heard about Dr Mike Guilliard flexor tenotomy surgery on gt, of course, we were hopeful.  Started following the results.  About a year ago we started inquiring around the kc area to find a vet that had or would do the procedure.  Last summer we were referred to Dr Heather Millard, a surgeon at blue pearl Overland Park.  So weird with COVID protocol that we’ve never met her!  At our phone consultation during her initial exam of Phog she seemed quite knowledgeable on the anatomy and basis of the surgery - she impressed us!  We were even more impressed when she consulted dr Mike guilliard and he told her about the new modifications to the original surgery.  Phog had the new modified surgery preformed by dr Millard 3 weeks ago.  The modified version cuts only the superficial digital flexor tendon (SDFTj. The incision  is now made on the back of the leg just above the foot.  The nail sticks forward, but remains in contact with the ground.  The toe is more flattened - but not totally.  The corns are still not hulled or removed during the surgery.   But by 8 weeks after the surgery they are supposed to be gone.

i had not seen anything on gt yet about the surgeries new modifications - so I wanted to post.  Phog is walking much easier - seems to enjoy his walks and want to go further distances.  I wish we could have done his procedure when it was dry outside.....his 3 legs were bandages and had to be “in baggies” to go outside for several days - which he hated.  but if done in dry weather we would not have had to put him thru this.   He also is a master at finding pills in anything and discarding them - so he did not enjoy the meds involved!  His corns have not disappeared as of yet - however we understand that should happen before his 8 week mark.   We are glad we went the surgery route - we had literally tried everything for his corns over the years.  

Edited by teri_d
Misspelling

:goodluck     Phog    :goodluck

I have had 4 greys (& one Galgo) and thankfully none have had corns

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

This is really interesting! I didn't know about the modified surgery. Our boy, Lucas, also has 4 corns on three of his feet. I'll be watching for updates to see how Phog progresses. Thanks so much for posting this and here's hoping that Phog's surgery is a phenomenal success!

So far we are really impressed - his gait is now smooth!  So good to see.  I know some are having good success with cimetidine (Tagamet). But Phog has a heart murmur and also is in remission from a bout of pemphigus (probably spelled wrong!) and still takes low dose meds for that - so we never tried that route.   I’ll try to update if there’s any change - and let you know when the corns have all (or have not) exfoliated.   GreytOwl When you have a few more posts you can message me and feel free to do so!  

:goodluck Phog

All four of my girls have corns. Opal's are especially nasty. I will follow Phog's progress.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Broken record here.  Rex had them on all 4.  He was my corn dog.  Hundreds of dollars later duct tape fixed him.  How appropriately Southern United States.  It can fix almost anything.  Never do the surgery.  Been there done that to no avail.
https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8365423_treat-canine-corns-duct-tape.html

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Fancy has a corn that is really nasty and getting bigger.  She has had it for a couple years.  We have tried everything, including duct tape, and what works for some doesn't necessarily work for all.  So, I just manage it as best as I can.  She is 11 so the idea of putting her under for surgery scares me.  Please keep us posted!  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

8 hours ago, Hubcitypam said:

Broken record here.  Rex had them on all 4.  He was my corn dog.  Hundreds of dollars later duct tape fixed him.  How appropriately Southern United States.  It can fix almost anything.  Never do the surgery.  Been there done that to no avail.
https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8365423_treat-canine-corns-duct-tape.html

One of yours had the flexor tenotomy surgery?