Seeking recommendations for a grey-friendly vehicle that is NOT an SUV

Hi Greytalk, 

We recently adopted a previously homed greyhound who has for several years ridden exclusively in an SUV.  Apparently she looked forward to her roadtrips and was not in the least bit nervous in the previous owner's RAV 4. 

When we adopted her a couple of months ago and tried to put her in my Camry for the first time, she became very anxious, and has remained that way on subsequent rides to the vet, etc.  She trembles all over, won't get up on the backseat and insists on standing on the floor in the backseat, which is very unsafe.   She really doesn't want to get into the car at all, but will do so if someone else is riding in the back with her.  

I've decided to buy a different car, and I'd like recommendations on a grey-friendly vehicle that is NOT an SUV.    We don't expect to travel with her a lot;  I'd like to find something that we can take short excursions in.  It must be fuel-efficient, but large enough for the dog to lay down comfortably in the back.  Does anyone have suggestions for any hatchbacks or other types of cars that are comfortable for their greyhounds to ride in? 

Thanks so much.  

Dog Lover

Have you tried putting a sling in the Camry or alternatively, filling in the footwells with foam blocks to make one large solid surface, similar to what she is used to in a SUV?   We used the seat extender blocks from Orvis to take up the floor space in our Camry and then filled in the little gap in the middle with an old foam pillow.   Both girls lay down much better now and can move around without falling into the floor.  It sounds like your girl is just fearful of falling off of the seat so making the deck area bigger may be all that is needed.   We used the Solid Foam Back Seat Extenders from this page.  The Camry required 2 of them. https://www.orvis.com/traveling-with-dogs

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My dogsitter friend with two greyhounds has a Kia Soul, and her two travel quite well in her car. The back seats fold down for plenty of room. It's also less expensive than SUVs. I have a Nissan Cube (no longer available), and my one hound rides quite well in the far back, leaving the back seat available for people or other items. The Cube back seats also fold down but I don't need to do that for one hound.

My guys are perfectly happy on the hammock in the back seat of my Versa.  

Check out Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/seat-covers-cars-YoGi-Prime/dp/B01DZXYSJC/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Dog+Car+Hammock&qid=1605143180&sr=8-6

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I would recommend trying the cheaper options suggested above. I was having similar issues with my dog so I bought a new car to accommodate him and it turns out that he doesn’t enjoy it (admittedly, mine is an SUV which you’ve already said you don’t want) and I don’t particularly enjoy driving it either. 

if you really are set on a new car, look at Volvo - our other car (which Buddy loves going in) is a V90 but I think that the smaller V60 would have been adequate for him. They are not cheap cars but the ride is comfortable and I think they’re quite economical with fuel.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

15 hours ago, Doglover said:

Hi Greytalk, 

We recently adopted a previously homed greyhound who has for several years ridden exclusively in an SUV.  Apparently she looked forward to her roadtrips and was not in the least bit nervous in the previous owner's RAV 4. 

When we adopted her a couple of months ago and tried to put her in my Camry for the first time, she became very anxious, and has remained that way on subsequent rides to the vet, etc.  She trembles all over, won't get up on the backseat and insists on standing on the floor in the backseat, which is very unsafe.   She really doesn't want to get into the car at all, but will do so if someone else is riding in the back with her.  

I've decided to buy a different car, and I'd like recommendations on a grey-friendly vehicle that is NOT an SUV.    We don't expect to travel with her a lot;  I'd like to find something that we can take short excursions in.  It must be fuel-efficient, but large enough for the dog to lay down comfortably in the back.  Does anyone have suggestions for any hatchbacks or other types of cars that are comfortable for their greyhounds to ride in? 

Thanks so much.  

Dog Lover

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Looks like the hammock or foam blocks are excellent options!

If that doesn't work and you are definitely getting a new vehicle, I have a Mazda3 hatchback that has been able to accommodate the hounds with the back seat folded down.  I do put a seat extender back there to block the gap between the back of the dropped seat and the back of the front seats.  Everything is covered with an old opened sleeping bag.  That car has worked well for me - low 30s for gas mileage and is just under 240,000 miles.  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

It's not the car, it's the dog. Try a benadryl 30 min prior to a trip. 

Annie needed to be surgically inserted into our cars. We had a 2 door civic and 4 door Acura back then. She made it to Texas, Canada, Florida and then some from NY.

I use  rubber back bath mats on the seat. Easy to wash if they get sick.

Practice makes perfect.

Btw I'm breaking in a very carsick whippet puppy currently. Yeah she jumped up on the seat after I put her paws in the well! Also she only puked 3xs on our last trip.

Edited by cleptogrey

I drive a Camry--I got it because it had the widest backseat of any of the sedans in its class and I had 2 greys to transport.  I bought the foam inserts from Orvis and they work great--very sturdy foam.  I also got a net barrier to keep the dogs in  the back seat, not visiting me.  In addition I got a foam insert for the front passenger seat, so I can carry three dogs at once or if the 2 backseat dogs don't get along.

Pal, my first greyhound was quite comfy and came with everywhere in a Mazda Protege. It was a great car and finally traded in with 185K on the original clutch (and probably the equivalent of dogsnart lol). 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Pal, my first greyhound was quite comfy and came with everywhere in a Mazda Protege. It was a great car and finally traded in with 185K on the original clutch (and probably the equivalent of dogsnart lol). 

:rotfl the very first "houndmobile"was a Mazda Protégé,  I stopped in Abilene Kansas on the way from moving from IL to TX and tossed girl in the back seat.  That Mazda went 155,000 on the original clutch.

Around town is easy but you can do big trips in  a compact car by filling in the footwells with pillows and such.  Then toss a comforter over the top.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Station wagons are trending again. Choose one with the most upright tailgate glass (helps in the hot sun).  Yes, it's a 'sensible' car, but they're so useful.  Take care if you're using a hammock that you can safely attach your hound to a seatbelt fixing. Apart from the easy distraction, 80lbs of loose dog airborne on a sudden crash stop weighs tons and neither dog or you might survive; don't wait until the law insists you travel them tethered or in a cage.

• 1 month later...