Cletus, KLTO (12/08/2005-11/08/2020)

FiveRoooooers

11/11/2020:  Funny, he was deaf but Cletus wants to be sure that his messages are heard. This morning I held a sparrow in my hand. It was waiting outside the store when I finished shopping for the campers and initially it appeared to be asleep, perhaps stunned? I wanted to move it out of the way of pedestrian traffic and semi-scooped it up, cupping it in my hands, and then it flew to a safer spot under an alcove. :angelwings

11/10/2020:  I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this morning we received our sign from Cletus that he is safe and well at the Bridge. I did yard work for about an hour and left the door open for the other campers. Finished that and in mid-toothbrushing from the corner of my eye I spotted movement on the floor in the room across the hallway. I went in, closing the door behind me, and was greeted by the sweetest little sparrow fluttering around the room. We had a moment until I could get the storm window open to let it fly free and all I could see and hear was Cletus and his huge bug eyes - Score!!! Tastes like chikken!!!      And there's your sign. :angelwings

Cletus, KLTO (KNOT Like The Others)  12/08/05 – 11/08/2020

This morning the news reported an earthquake in CT; however, a correction will be submitted shortly as it was knot an earthquake:  it was Cletus, KLTO, on his chikken wings making his way to The Bridge.

The incessant tail wag has stopped. We knew the only way that could happen would be when his heart stopped beating. Peacefully and quickly in the back of the BOH2 on a spectacular weather day, Cletus left, appropriately, on his chikken wings to begin his journey to The Bridge. Exactly one month shy of his 15th birthday, our chikken chasing, ever-smiling greyhound in a lab suit was called home. At the clinic, Norm happened to be wearing his Black Dog t-shirt. Our doc took special care of Cletus and afterwards she said “He’s gone, and we’re still here laffing about him.”

I became aware of Cletus through a pet ListServ at my office. Cletus was a black Lab crossed with (best guesses) Blue-Tick Coon Hound, Pointer, and/or Beagle. He had been posted on PetFinder after his “family” in Georgia dropped him at a shelter at 13 years of age for some apparent indiscretions that involved escaping his fence and hunting and snacking on the neighbor’s chickens. When I learned this, I said Good For You, Cletus, at your age!  The good shelter folks also recognized something special about the old boy and reached out to a Lab rescue group who agreed and sprung Cletus from the shelter and into their TN chapter. On his PetFinder page were a couple of photos of Cletus and there was something about That Face what told me this was a Good Dog who needed to be rescued. I talked him up and forwarded his info to everyone I could think of. There were already five senior greyhounds at my Camp, aside from the fact that Cletus was a dog outside of my breed/s - I had a Rule, after all!  But no one was interested in a 13-year-old lab.

Still, I couldn’t get him out of my mind and submitted an application to make him a camper. I think the adoption folks knew I’d be good toast after seeing “…this is their home, I get to live here.” Cletus made the trip from the TN shelter to his foster mom in NY where he spent just five days. During that time, the dear woman drove him two hours each way to do a home visit and ensure that everyone was going to mesh beautifully as I always expect they will. Our visit was seamless. Cletus came in as though he had always been here and the campers simply said, “Cletus, you’re one of us now.”

And for one year and six+ months, he was. Surprisingly, Cletus was housebroken! He snored like a freight train. He was full of lipomas and yet he was one of my best walkers. He was deaf (or mostly deaf ;) ) and we quickly developed a sign language that worked. There was never any stinkeye, no backtalk, nothing. Just six campers doing their thing – rides, walks, games, treats, doing nothing (or quietly pondering something!) and lazing on beds in the yard. We had a system for noms and meds and turnouts and lights out and it worked. One thing we did need to address was helping him understand that a treat didn’t also mean taking the hand it was in :lol And throughout, the tail never stopped. He loved to head butt to snuggle and hugging him was like hugging a big strong man. He was rarely in a hurry to get anywhere (unless it involved food!) and he would stand in front of me most especially when *I* was hurried. A baby gate to the second floor was needed as he was remarkably spry and would do the stairs, again, super fast! With meals, he hopped and spun and danced down the hall to his private dining room. He was very fast lol. After he ate, on his way outside he reliably stopped to hoover the kitchen. When anything dropped to the floor, even tho I knew he wouldn’t hear I would yell “Cleanup in aisle 3” and somehow he knew! He must have been exhausted for all the hoovering, as well as anytime every time I stood up, he did as well. His nails were long and strong and initially our routine involved tethering him to me as I tried to Dremel; he quickly got the hang of it and would lie down until all of those daggers were shortened and smoothed. After turnouts in the rain, Cletus was a most excellent toweler-offer and licked the other campers dry, the tail going a mile a minute. Our standing expressions became “Jesus Cletus” and “WOT the flock!”

Cletus, KLTO had so many friends both in the real and on the innerweb and we had so much fun exploiting the chikken thing because, you know, that’s who he was – Cletus, Chikken Boy! :confetti His tag and martingale collars sported chikkens and eggs; his red chikken tag declared “Cletus: KNOT CHIKKEN SAFE”; from all over the world came chikken stuffies and chikken treats; a beautiful drawing of our Goober Dawg captured his personality spot-on. When he visited our friends at the Forgetful Folks home he wore his most speshul red bandana (My ears are just for looks!) sent from friends who loved the boy as their own. How the old folks are going to miss seeing him and cheering him on to catch marshmallows. When he came to work with me, he became “Academic Cletus”! Who could have known that antics what had landed him in trouble could turn around and become his legacy, in a good way!

The weather during his final few days was beautiful but he preferred to be indoors, tucked into Bugs Healing Camp. To say that our vet, her clinic, and our friends there are the best does not do justice. They had a special fondness for the GA/TN Chikken Boy; indeed, on a recent visit our invoice carried the line “Less Discount Chicken Dog” :heart Including a ladybug on our ceiling this morning, we received our signs that Cletus would be making his journey. Our friend offered “They’re ready for him.” I’d like to believe that his ears, those big floppy velvety soft and snuggly ears that had been just for looks, are now whole and in werking order, along with the rest of him that had failed as he grew older.

Cletus arrived on Easter Sunday, April 21, 2019:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgi8f5BCqI

Godspeed Cletus :kiss2. The silence here is deafening … Wap Wap Wap. I am grateful for you finding your way to Camp Greyhound CT and becoming “one of them.”

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. 

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you for making a breed exception for a very special boy. And thank you for sharing him with us. 

Rest well, Cletus, you will be deeply missed. I bet that earthquake was all the chikkens scooting to the other end of the Bridge. 

:grouphug for Miss Jan and the campers.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So very sorry for your loss.  Cletus was a most special boy. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

• FiveRoooooers changed the title to Cletus, KLTO (12/08/2005-11/08/2020)

Run-free Cletus!  We have loved every adventure you had at CG and are so glad that your Mom shared you with us.  Love you, buddy. 

:f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Good bye Cletus, you were a very special guy with a beautiful face. I can never say enough good things about the seniors. Happy chicken hunting sweetie.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I sure am gonna miss you Cletus.  :(

Old dogs are indeed the best dogs.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh Jan... I'm so very sorry your Chicken Boy had to leave

:bighug

We will look for his star tonight.

“We, who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.” —Irving Townsend

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Jan - I cant tell you how many mornings Cletus stories were part of our breakfast table!  What a great story - from the beginning of his happy home with you until he crossed the bridge.  We will all miss Cletus shenanigans.  Thank you for sharing this special old fella with all of us!  ♥️

I'm so sorry your Chikken boy had to leave. He was the perfect exception to your rule: he needed a good home, he fit in seamlessly, he was enjoyed by those who knew him in person, and he was adored by those who knew him through your stories. 

Maybe the earthquake was the breaking of the hearts of the Cletus fans...

Godspeed Cletus, KLTO

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

I'm so very sorry.  Thank you for sharing Chikken Boy with us.  For sure his tail was Lab -wap, wap, wap.

Run with the angels Cletus.  We will all miss you.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Jan, I am so sorry Cletus has left you.  Your tribute is wonderful and shows so clearly how his journey to Camp Greyhound was meant to be.  From the moment he stepped into your care, your chicken dog knew he was in a loving home.  That wagging tail was a big indication of how safe, happy and content he was feeling.  What a surprise it must have been for him to have companions, adventures, car rides, treats and lazy days in the sunshine with his new friends.  Although his time with you was too short, he lived a life time at CG.

We will always remember that sweet face looking up at you.  Rest well Cletus. 

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so sorry, Jan 💔

We have a saying here in Germany that we live by that lovely translated says...

You can't add more days to life but you can add more life to the days.

It seems like Cletus got the most of his life living in Camp Greyhound. 

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I am so very sorry :( he was such a special boy and so lucky to have become a camper there with you.  Sending tons of hugs to you :grouphug 

ETA: just watched the video, how sweet he was!!!!  You can see in his eyes how much he loved being your old boy <3 

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Miss. Jan, we know that Cletus KLTO kayme to the ryte playse fower boff him and yu and the kamperz. He mayde us awl laff and that izza Greyt fing fower ennebuddy to do, speshullee a Cletus howndie that waz discarded bi his own peepuls. Yu luvved him and he luvved yu and we awl luvved him tu.

Enjoy chaysing them chikkinz atta Bridge, Cletus.

Wagz and Likky kissis frum

Chancey and Nutmeg in Reel Engaland.

and luv frum Mum.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I am so sorry to hear that he has made his way to the Rainbow Bridge.  I enjoyed hearing all his stories and seeing pictures of him.  He was a special boy who brought laughter and joy to us.  He will be missed but never forgotten.  :grouphug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011