Stinky Breath in (Almost!) Toothless Hound

Moo

Hi everyone, I adopted my lad Rumble (formerly Gymstar Rumble) from Dog's Trust on Saturday. The poor mite has had 29 teeth out, with more to follow, so aside from his front nibblers he's very gummy! Unfortunately, he also has VERY stinky breath. 

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to freshen his breath in lieu of dentastix and similar tooth chews? The Trust recommended not brushing his remaining teeth or gums until his mouth has totally healed, but he has such rancid breath, no doubt not helped by his squidgy post-op food he's on. 

Some things I've read about are a small amount of cider vinegar in his water (which to me seems counterintuitive to dental health, as it's acidic?) or a bit of parsley in his food.

Any advice to combat his stinky gummy breath would be very much appreciated!

This may not be a dental issue.  Parasites/worms will do the same thing.  His mouth definitely needs to heal before introducing anything medicinal, but one of the water additives would probably work over time if this is a dental issue.  The smell should also improve somewhat once the mouth is healed if the problem is related to the dental. 

When you have his first vet check done, make sure the Vet takes a stool sample for a fecal and checks for worms.  Here in the states just about every dog coming off the track has a bad case of hookworms.  Not sure where you are or if your group has checked him and/or treated for them already.  It does often take several treatments to get rid of them entirely.  

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to hope he's been checked for worms, as the rescue is very reputable (Dog's Trust) and they seem to have give him a dog MOT and the full works before I got him, but I'll ask them on Monday as he's getting his vaccination booster then. It is entirely possible it's just the healing process making it worse, so I'll check about that, too. 

As already has been said it's probably a combination of the dental issues and food. I add Plaque X which contains seaweed, parsley, turmeric and activated charcoal to Grace's food to help with plaque and breath odour and Vets Best breath freshener to her water bowl but only 1/2 the recommended amount as she won't drink it otherwise.

Plaque X
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natural-Remover-Freshener-Toothbrush-Supports/dp/B07DF63CL7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12N2CIUNQIGYC&dchild=1&keywords=plaque+x&qid=1604472123&sprefix=plaque%2Caps%2C339&sr=8-1

Vets Best
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vets-Best-Dental-Breath-Freshener/dp/B06XGTRSRW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3UZ2LMC1WBT16&dchild=1&keywords=dog+breath+freshener+in+water&qid=1604472218&sprefix=dog+bre%2Caps%2C316&sr=8-5

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Since you’re in the UK he probably won’t have hookworm as it doesn’t seem to be as prevalent here - but that doesn’t mean he can’t have them, or that he can’t have something else. Coming from the Dog’s Trust also doesn’t mean he won’t have worms. We adopted ours from our local branch in the June and in the October he deposited a foot long tapeworm in the back garden. At the time he was on a three monthly worming regimen with our vet. They pick up all sorts and while I’m sure that he will have been wormed before he came to you, I’m less convinced that he would have had his stools checked to make sure he’s parasite free. If you’re not on a monthly worming regimen it might be an idea to speak to your vet about that.

We have tried several different methods for breath freshening including Plaque X (or something similar) and water additives but find there is no substitute for teeth cleaning, which I know you can’t do just yet. In addition to regular brushing, we do use beaphar tooth gel in conjunction with a large rubber tooth brush (which draws some strange looks when we get it out in public) and I’m not overly certain that this is doing anything but Buddy really seems to like it so now it’s just part of his morning routine - and it’s a distraction if we take him to the pub - when we were allowed to go to the pub ☹️.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Tooth-Gel-100-g/dp/B005VD0JXY/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1A04VYULZFAEO&dchild=1&keywords=beaphar+toothpaste+for+dogs&qid=1604494523&sprefix=Beaphar%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-8

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/RUCACIO-Toothbrush-Brushing-Effective-Resistant/dp/B07V4BWZZV/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2Q634UP5BJ9T6&dchild=1&keywords=dog+toothbrush&qid=1604494851&sprefix=Dog+toothbrush%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNDRNR1BJWDdZRkZOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODM3OTYyMUdNOE5SR1RFTlpGNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjcyNjAwM1NFNTE5NDBOQUoxVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

As others have suggested his food is probably not helping matters so if you are switching him to softened kibble when his mouth is healed you might smell a difference. And once you’ve experienced a few greyhound trumps I’m sure that his breath - however it smells - will smell like roses!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

2 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Since you’re in the UK he probably won’t have hookworm as it doesn’t seem to be as prevalent here - but that doesn’t mean he can’t have them, or that he can’t have something else. Coming from the Dog’s Trust also doesn’t mean he won’t have worms. We adopted ours from our local branch in the June and in the October he deposited a foot long tapeworm in the back garden. At the time he was on a three monthly worming regimen with our vet. They pick up all sorts and while I’m sure that he will have been wormed before he came to you, I’m less convinced that he would have had his stools checked to make sure he’s parasite free. If you’re not on a monthly worming regimen it might be an idea to speak to your vet about that.

We have tried several different methods for breath freshening including Plaque X (or something similar) and water additives but find there is no substitute for teeth cleaning, which I know you can’t do just yet. In addition to regular brushing, we do use beaphar tooth gel in conjunction with a large rubber tooth brush (which draws some strange looks when we get it out in public) and I’m not overly certain that this is doing anything but Buddy really seems to like it so now it’s just part of his morning routine - and it’s a distraction if we take him to the pub - when we were allowed to go to the pub ☹️.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Tooth-Gel-100-g/dp/B005VD0JXY/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1A04VYULZFAEO&dchild=1&keywords=beaphar+toothpaste+for+dogs&qid=1604494523&sprefix=Beaphar%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-8

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/RUCACIO-Toothbrush-Brushing-Effective-Resistant/dp/B07V4BWZZV/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=2Q634UP5BJ9T6&dchild=1&keywords=dog+toothbrush&qid=1604494851&sprefix=Dog+toothbrush%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNDRNR1BJWDdZRkZOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODM3OTYyMUdNOE5SR1RFTlpGNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjcyNjAwM1NFNTE5NDBOQUoxVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

As others have suggested his food is probably not helping matters so if you are switching him to softened kibble when his mouth is healed you might smell a difference. And once you’ve experienced a few greyhound trumps I’m sure that his breath - however it smells - will smell like roses!

Given your username I think we went to the same Dog's Trust! What's your hound called? I might have seen them listed on the website while I was looking for mine. :)

Is your dog on any post-dental antibiotics?  I guess I'm confused as to exactly when he had his dental or if it's still upcoming.  Regardless, he may benefit from a course of ABs.  Just because he doesn't have any teeth doesn't mean he doesn't still have a gum infection problem or gum disease.

Also, when you go in Monday, take in a stool sample and a first-of-the-morning pee sample.  Even if nothing is wrong they will be a good baseline for his records.  And they will be able to check for protein dumping in his urine then.

One cause of bad breath can be too high a protein percentage in the food he's eating.  If he's on a soft diet right now that doesn't mean it needs to be totally canned dog food.  Soft carbs like overcooked pasta or oatmeal can be added in for a better balance.  If/when you switch to kibble, keep this protein-to-carb balance in mind if his breath doesn't improve.  You should also be giving him a good canine probiotics to help re-populate his gut bacteria post surgery.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

5 hours ago, Moo said:

Given your username I think we went to the same Dog's Trust! What's your hound called? I might have seen them listed on the website while I was looking for mine. :)

He’s called Buddy and we’ve had for him about 2 1/2 years. I do still cruise the Dog’s Trust website in case there are any suitable older girls who might be compatible with Buddy and don’t remember a Rumble but maybe you snapped him up quickly! I’ll be posting LOTS of pictures of him tomorrow because it’s his birthday so be warned!!! 😁

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23