Help! Pregnant - any advice re nervous grey?

I'm nearly five months pregnant. Unplanned surprise at the age of 42 (I always wanted dogs not kids ^_^) and quite a way to go yet, but I'm trying to work out how I'm going to manage it with a big, nervy grey who avoids kids like the plague out on walks. I know obviously the big scary outdoors is different to his indoor comfy home but he backs away nervously and on the couple of occasions that a kid has lunged at him to stroke him (argh!!) has panicked, jerked and jumped out of his skin. 

I have had my lad for just under 9 months now and he's doing great. He was re-homed elsewhere from racing and then attacked by another dog (in that home) so was quite a nervous, aloof, stitched up mess of a chap when he came here. It's taken a lot of patience, training and confidence building to get him to this point and he's come a long way from the terrified, snappy dog that turned up. He's rapidly turning into a big gentle soul (aside from excitable air snappy zoomies) and since we've bonded I haven't been concerned with his behaviour at all indoors. I had been thinking about introducing a second sighthound into the family as he responds happily to greys when out and about. However, I won't be doing that now .... and introducing a baby into the mix is is something I'm pretty concerned about. 

Obviously had I been planning for a child I wouldn't have adopted a greyhound, especially not such a nervous one. Although honestly if I had known what was going to happen I would have stepped up the birth control efforts and carried on with the dog(s) :D

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, personal experiences to share re this? 

He might surprise you and prove you concerns unfounded. Grace doesn't like children because they are noisy and boisterous and she'll pull in the opposite direction if she hears them especially if they are playing football. She won't even go outside for a pee if she can hear the neighbours children playing outside.

But if she meets them one at a time and they are quiet and don't run at her she'll just stand there and ignore them whilst they stroke her. You will be adding to his family group and you might find he becomes the child's best friend and protector.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

6 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

He might surprise you and prove you concerns unfounded. Grace doesn't like children because they are noisy and boisterous and she'll pull in the opposite direction if she hears them especially if they are playing football. She won't even go outside for a pee if she can hear the neighbours children playing outside.

But if she meets them one at a time and they are quiet and don't run at her she'll just stand there and ignore them whilst they stroke her. You will be adding to his family group and you might find he becomes the child's best friend and protector.

Thank you. I genuinely hope he finds a child indoors less stressful than he does outside. Sounds as though Grace is fine if it is a controlled interaction :unsure

Obviously I guess I won't know until the baby arrives. My grey is just such a shy, gentle and nervy boy it is hard to know what I can do to make it easier for him (and me!)

5 hours ago, Feefee147 said:

My grey is just such a shy, gentle and nervy boy it is hard to know what I can do to make it easier for him (and me!)

As always it's the fear of the unknown which cause the greatest anxiety so stay calm, stick to his routines and don't worry about things that might happen as he'll pick up on your worries.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Take him to antenatal classes and watch birthing videos..? 😁

seriously though I would agree with HeyRunDog. I imagine he will be curious about the new, smelly, squeaky thing that is getting so much attention, but that thing will become a part of the fixtures and fittings by the time he or she can crawl, and your dog will probably accept him/her as part of the pack. He probably won’t consider that the new pack member will grow up to be one of those bigger smelly noisy things that scares him on his walk.

I think that when your sprog gets to the crawling age is when it will become more challenging, but it’s just a case of teaching the child to be respectful of the dog. I think it’s a great way to start instilling responsibility in a child too as they can be involved in the dog’s care. 

And now the only thing to say is...LOCKDOWN BABY! :lol

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23