Wants to go out for walks but freezes

Hi everyone,

Thanks for this fantastic site, it's such a great resource!  We've just adopted Missy, nearly 2 weeks ago, She's a gorgeous girl, nearly 3 years old.  Straight from adoption kennels, so we are her first home.  We love her!

In the morning she's excited to go for her morning walk, however she's now freezing on every walk especially across the street right outside our home when we get home. We also take her for an afternoon walk. My partner ends up having to carry her.  Have tried pulling her (Martingale collar), she won't budge (and I feel it's such an awful thing to do to her and possibly making it worse).  We've tried gently nudging her butt forward with our knee, moving her in circles, distracting her, positive reinforcement, but she's impossible to move.  She seems distracted by noises, dogs, people, the wind etc, she isn't afraid of dogs, she's either indifferent or wagging tail and sniffing. She's only tried to chase a few dogs on a few occasions. I understand she's overwhelmed and this is a normal response.

Suggestions I have read include:

- taking a break for a few days, treats (hard to do as she has to wear a muzzle on walks for another month), a harness, Adaptil collar, calming tablets... 

We're really unsure of what to do and are feeling overwhelmed, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Robyn336
update of info

First thing she WILL get over it.

Remember Missy has just been propelled onto a strange new planet where all her customs and rules have been replaced with strange new ones. Greyhounds seem to go through a "honeymoon" period when you first get them home when everything is overwhelming so the blindly follow. Then as they start to figure things out they will refuse to do things until it makes sense to them.

Unless she is very reactive to other dogs, cats etc I would remove her muzzle. I removed Grace's on walks after a few days once I got used to her.

I've done the greyhound carrying, much to my neighbours amusement. You could try the bowling technique. Stand by the side of your hound and put a couple of fingers through her collar. Start walking and at the same time, as if you are ten pin bowling, give a firm forward and slightly upward tug on the collar and give the command "Lets Go". Apparently it's similar to the way the trainer gets the dog into the trap for a race. I only had to do it three or four times to overcome Grace's freezing.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time