1st time at the rainbow bridge

CKDub

Two days ago, my husband and I made the heart-wrenching decision to help our beloved greyhound, Wagmore Barkless (Wags), over the rainbow bridge. He fought a valiant fight against degenerative myelopathy, and now, he can finally run again.

We have never had to make the decision to euthanize before, and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. He was 13.5, and had declined significantly over the last month, but steadily over the last 6 months. He had some incontinence, could no longer go on walks, and had little interest in squeaky toys anymore. We put down runners everywhere on our hardwoods, fed him in bed often since he couldn’t stand for long, carried him up and down the back stairs to go potty...  I was going back and forth about the decision since he was still eating and drinking and seemed lucid most of the time. However, the morning of our home vet appointment, I let him outside, and when he came back in, his back legs collapsed 3 separate times, and he could no longer support his weight. That was a first...  He showed me he was ready...  

How do you move through this?  I know it was the right thing, but I am just gutted. Are there online support groups for pet loss anyone is aware of?  Thank you so much for your support and understanding. This is very new to me. 😭😢💔💔💔 

FA72D6E7-0F1A-4DBE-9D2F-DED6BB90E317.jpeg

I am so very sorry. It never gets any easier, but the first time you have to make that call is gut wrenching. Nearly everyone here has been through it, many of us multiple times. I can only tell you the pain does ease with time, and you will start to remember the good times. You can come here and talk as much as you need to, GT people will listen and understand.

:grouphug

4 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

I am so very sorry. It never gets any easier, but the first time you have to make that call is gut wrenching. Nearly everyone here has been through it, many of us multiple times. I can only tell you the pain does ease with time, and you will start to remember the good times. You can come here and talk as much as you need to, GT people will listen and understand.

:grouphug

Thank you for your kindness. It means so much...  It’s comforting to know it will get better.  🤎

I am so sorry for your loss.  You were his best friend.  He looked to you to keep him pain free and comfortable.  You did that for as long as you could.  You helped him to be at peace.  He will always love you and he will remain, forever, in your heart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The most loving thing we can do is ease their pain. It’s like transferring their pain into your heart. Time doesn’t heal the pain, it just let’s you get used to life without them. To me grief is like a terrible storm. Some days it feels like a tsunami while other days you can go with the flow and survive the waves. 

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

2 hours ago, Houndtime said:

I am so sorry for your loss.  You were his best friend.  He looked to you to keep him pain free and comfortable.  You did that for as long as you could.  You helped him to be at peace.  He will always love you and he will remain, forever, in your heart.

Thank you for your kindness during a very difficult adjustment. 🤎

1 hour ago, greytpups said:

The most loving thing we can do is ease their pain. It’s like transferring their pain into your heart. Time doesn’t heal the pain, it just let’s you get used to life without them. To me grief is like a terrible storm. Some days it feels like a tsunami while other days you can go with the flow and survive the waves. 

Yes, it definitely feels like waves...  so true. Thank you. 🤎

My heart breaks for you. Wags was a handsome boy and you did so much to help him.

After losing 13 greyhounds, plus iggies, mutts, and other breeds, it never ever gets easier to same goodbye.

A poem I wrote was published in Celebrating Greyhounds magazine years ago:

They greet me at the door,
    hopping, wagging, bright eyes smiling,
     jealous their brother went for a ride without them.

My heart aches too much to embrace them,
    I am oblivious to their love,
    my tears freshly fallen on the path home from the Rainbow Bridge.

Three dogs follow me through the routine of my day,
    a shadow from the fourth dog doesn't fade
    even when I put away the extra bowl, the extra leash.

I await my acceptance of loss, my acknowledgement that this home is totally empty,
    without that fourth dog and its fourth bowl
    His shadow now glows and opens my heart.

excited to welcome home the new dog.

And so am I.

CKDub, I will add Wags' name to the list of Bridge Angels here on Greytalk. He will be in good company.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just his name alone tells us so much about your beautiful boy, what a great one  - Wagmore Barkless (Wags)! I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug You are in good company here. I lost hound #16, Bea, in July to DM, her body simply wore out. Some hounds take bigger chunks of our hearts than others :heart :brokenheart but nonetheless, it never ever gets easier to say "see you later" - they are each one a part of our families and each has their own place in our heart.  A friend once said to me that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not.  I hope in time that you will be able to find some comfort in that. 

Ducky, that is beautiful :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the hardest and most loving decision you make for them. Wags was gorgeous. :heart

This is a good listen: https://www.wnpr.org/post/emotional-impact-losing-pet

And a site you might find helpful is https://www.petloss.com/. The web design leaves something to be desired, but the message boards are full of information and stories from people going through the same thing. The community holds a candle lighting ceremony every Monday. 

Wishing you peace in the days ahead. It will get easier with time, and you'll be able to smile at the memories again. :grouphug 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So sorry for your loss.  Believe me it does get better.

Wags will always be a memory away.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I'm so very sorry. The first time I had to make the decision was devastating even though there was absolutely no alternative. The grief does ease in time.

Godspeed Wags.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

11 hours ago, teri_d said:

I’m so sorry - they Take a piece of your heart.  From experience and our vets advice - always better a day too early than a day too late.  You gave wags the greatest gift of love.  

That’s a piece of advice we had in mind, too.  I think it was just on time. Thank you for your kindness. 🤎

11 hours ago, macoduck said:

My heart breaks for you. Wags was a handsome boy and you did so much to help him.

After losing 13 greyhounds, plus iggies, mutts, and other breeds, it never ever gets easier to same goodbye.

A poem I wrote was published in Celebrating Greyhounds magazine years ago:

jealous their brother went for a ride without them.

My heart aches too much to embrace them,
    I am oblivious to their love,
    my tears freshly fallen on the path home from the Rainbow Bridge.

Three dogs follow me through the routine of my day,
    a shadow from the fourth dog doesn't fade
    even when I put away the extra bowl, the extra leash.

I await my acceptance of loss, my acknowledgement that this home is totally empty,
    without that fourth dog and its fourth bowl
    His shadow now glows and opens my heart.

excited to welcome home the new dog.

And so am I.

CKDub, I will add Wags' name to the list of Bridge Angels here on Greytalk. He will be in good company.

Your poem is beautiful!  Thank you for saying his name and acknowledging him. I didn’t realize how others’ saying his name would be meaningful. Thank you, again. 🤎

9 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Just his name alone tells us so much about your beautiful boy, what a great one  - Wagmore Barkless (Wags)! I am so sorry for your loss :grouphug You are in good company here. I lost hound #16, Bea, in July to DM, her body simply wore out. Some hounds take bigger chunks of our hearts than others :heart :brokenheart but nonetheless, it never ever gets easier to say "see you later" - they are each one a part of our families and each has their own place in our heart.  A friend once said to me that missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not.  I hope in time that you will be able to find some comfort in that. 

Ducky, that is beautiful :heart

Five, I am so sorry for your loss of Bea, as well. 😢 This is a horrible disease. 

Wags had the best name ever, but especially for him. He was our first greyhound, and will probably set the bar. 😉🤎

8 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the hardest and most loving decision you make for them. Wags was gorgeous. :heart

This is a good listen: https://www.wnpr.org/post/emotional-impact-losing-pet

And a site you might find helpful is https://www.petloss.com/. The web design leaves something to be desired, but the message boards are full of information and stories from people going through the same thing. The community holds a candle lighting ceremony every Monday. 

Wishing you peace in the days ahead. It will get easier with time, and you'll be able to smile at the memories again. :grouphug 

Thank you for these wonderful resources. I appreciate them so much. 

Wags was a gorgeous boy. 🤎

1 hour ago, GreyPoopon said:

I'm so very sorry. The first time I had to make the decision was devastating even though there was absolutely no alternative. The grief does ease in time.

Godspeed Wags.

Thank you...  Yes, this feels devastating, unexpectedly. I thought I had prepared, but wow. This is so much harder than I thought it would be. 🤎

So very sorry for your loss of Wags, he is a beautiful boy. Run fast and free Sweetie.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

@CKDub I wanted to mention that I'd be happy to edit his Greyhound Data page for you, if you'd like to add your name as his adoptive owner, add his pet name, and/or add a bereavement message for him. If I add a bereavement message, it locks his page (still visible but no longer editable), so take your time to think about it if you need. There are a few of us on the board that can edit the pages; all you have to do is ask. :heart 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome Wags.

Remember all the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg